Filter sock or not??

Do you use a filter sock

• Total voters

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a search and can't find any recent threads on running filter socks or not. Just curious, who prefers running filter socks and who doesn't and why.

OP
OP
OREGONIC

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have been running mesh socks and changing or cleaning every 5-7 days. The last few weeks i have noticed that they are not getting as dirty and am debating on not running at all. I currently am running an ATS and it has really been taking off lately. My nitrates are at just under 10 ppm and im starting to think that my ATS may work even better if i were not running a sock, so i pulled the sock off tonight to see how it goes.

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two socks in my sump. They get pretty dirty after a couple of days so I just assume that they are pulling out nasty stuff before it gets to my skimmer. I'm sure I am losing some pods and good stuff as well but I feel they help keep the tank clean as long as you change/wash them frequently. A dirty sock is worse than no sock at all.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks are relative to your systems demands and design.

If you have an over size skimmer, went all out on biological, have a large fuge, carbon dose, GFO, etc... socks may be over kill and your system might be lacking the nutrition it needs. Conversely, if you don't equip any number of those things for example, you may need socks to help by mean of mechanical filtration. Ultimately, they are neither good nor bad, you just need to determine if your system is going to need them; and if they do, do you need high micron felt, mesh, etc.

Side note, IMO running socks in front of your skimmer makes the skimmer more efficient by removing larger particles prior to entering the skimmer body.

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to not run filter socks because I hate cleaning them, but my sump ended up way too dirty for my liking and the way my sump is designed, the socks quiet a lot of the sounds the water going into the sump makes.

I have since changed my mesh socks over to plastic cups filled with cheap throwaway filter floss and I can let that run for a week or so before tossing it.

whiskeyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to not run filter socks because I hate cleaning them, but my sump ended up way too dirty for my liking and the way my sump is designed, the socks quiet a lot of the sounds the water going into the sump makes.

I have since changed my mesh socks over to plastic cups filled with cheap throwaway filter floss and I can let that run for a week or so before tossing it.
i like that i may give it a try

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering if I don't change my sock after a week it clogs I think it's a good idea I run one. I run mine directly over the drain line so everything goes through it. I change twice a week. In the summer I hose them off then soak them in bleach for a few hours (septic tank) then run them through the wash. In the winter I rinse them in the sink then run them through the wash twice and bleach them every other time in a bucket.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like running them and I do but I am lazy about changing and cleaning them!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@dbl here is a good poll!

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them for two reasons. 1) keeps detritus out of my sump/skimmer area. 2) helps keep nitrates at a minimum.

I typically change mine 2x a week. Also run a GFO and carbon reactor and just installed a cheato reactor. 60 gal cube with 15 gal sump.

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask a question on here (while I do it anyway)? I'm curious, Why do people run filter socks? While I can't due to my tank inhabitants, I don't see why I would want to in the first food as all food should be eaten by something eventually

Edit: forgot everyone doesn't run a fuge and have animal free spots where food would buildup...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back