Filter sock or not??

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by OREGONIC, Aug 24, 2017.

?
  1. Yes and change at least every 3 days.

21.8%
  2. Yes and change weekly.

26.9%
  3. Yes but change less then once a week.

11.5%
  4. No filter sock for me.

31.5%
  5. I use floss instead of a sock.

8.3%
  1. Hemmdog

Hemmdog Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

No socks. I’ve done socks and no socks for months at a time. The corals look much much happier and grow more rapidly without socks in my experiences. I have a oversized skimmer I guess to compensate.

DSC reef and bigdrew like this.

2. bigdrew

bigdrew Member Build Thread Contributor

@Hemmdog Have you found that you are doing more water changes as a result of no socks, or do you feel that the skimmer is handling that well enough?

DSC reef and Hemmdog like this.
  3. Hemmdog

Hemmdog Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Skimmer is handling it fine. I was doing bi-weekly wc’s. Now I’m doing bi-monthly water changes. 10nitrate .03 phos pretty consistently.

I have a small fuge, so that helps too. But it’s not near the size to call it the triton method or anything.

TitanCi, DSC reef and bigdrew like this.
  4. bigdrew

@Hemmdog thanks for the info! I am in the midst of learning and figuring this out on my own system.

Hemmdog likes this.
  5. Hemmdog

Awesome! Lots of good advice on here. Check out my build thread. It’s simple but effective. Also feel free to ask me Q’s anytime! I love helping others enjoy their reef!

bigdrew likes this.
  6. RCS82

RCS82 Active Member

I like filter socks on messy maintenance days but never continuous. I'll put them on for a day or 2 maybe if I stir things up during a water change but 90% of the time I'll run no socks. I see no advantage to them but some people love cleaning them inside out twice a week.

TitanCi, bigdrew and Hemmdog like this.
  7. bigdrew

@RCS82 thanks for sharing! I have had a few folks at the LFS say the same thing: they only use them when doing some of that messy maintenance, otherwise, it's filter sock free. It's an interesting approach. I think I am just so new at this that it'll be a matter of trial and error.

8. Phil D.

Phil D. Active Member

I have a Red Sea E-260 with the sump upgrade, I am running a 225u felt sock in the front slot and filter cup with Chemi-Pure Blue. I am changing the sock out every 3 days. I'm finding that the sump is staying clear of detritus and is keeping tank nice and clean.

bigdrew likes this.
  9. Arya N Behgooy

Arya N Behgooy New Member

I do not use a filter sock. I only used it when my tank was getting established. I find it to be a detriment to trapping pods. I run a 100% SPS tank. I have a great skimmer that takes care of any issues.

The only time I would consider adding a sock would be if I'm adding sand or doing some major cleaning in the sump or in the tank.

I have personally found them useless they are only good for cleaning up your clarity. With a well established tank you don't need them.

TitanCi likes this.
  10. Arya N Behgooy

Arya N Behgooy New Member

Do a 10% water change on your tank every week and you are golden.

One of the problems some people run into is overfeeding their tanks and their fish.

If you do that you will probably need a filter sock. Rule of thumb is a four to five morsels per fish and you're fine.

Other than that you're over feeding and it will cause spikes in nitrate and phosphates.

Draft saved Draft deleted