Do you use a filter sock

• Total voters

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No socks. I’ve done socks and no socks for months at a time. The corals look much much happier and grow more rapidly without socks in my experiences. I have a oversized skimmer I guess to compensate.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hemmdog Have you found that you are doing more water changes as a result of no socks, or do you feel that the skimmer is handling that well enough?
Skimmer is handling it fine. I was doing bi-weekly wc’s. Now I’m doing bi-monthly water changes. 10nitrate .03 phos pretty consistently.

I have a small fuge, so that helps too. But it’s not near the size to call it the triton method or anything.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hemmdog thanks for the info! I am in the midst of learning and figuring this out on my own system.
Awesome! Lots of good advice on here. Check out my build thread. It’s simple but effective. Also feel free to ask me Q’s anytime! I love helping others enjoy their reef!

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like filter socks on messy maintenance days but never continuous. I'll put them on for a day or 2 maybe if I stir things up during a water change but 90% of the time I'll run no socks. I see no advantage to them but some people love cleaning them inside out twice a week.

bigdrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RCS82 thanks for sharing! I have had a few folks at the LFS say the same thing: they only use them when doing some of that messy maintenance, otherwise, it's filter sock free. It's an interesting approach. I think I am just so new at this that it'll be a matter of trial and error.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea E-260 with the sump upgrade, I am running a 225u felt sock in the front slot and filter cup with Chemi-Pure Blue. I am changing the sock out every 3 days. I'm finding that the sump is staying clear of detritus and is keeping tank nice and clean.

Arya N Behgooy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a search and can't find any recent threads on running filter socks or not. Just curious, who prefers running filter socks and who doesn't and why.

I do not use a filter sock. I only used it when my tank was getting established. I find it to be a detriment to trapping pods. I run a 100% SPS tank. I have a great skimmer that takes care of any issues.

The only time I would consider adding a sock would be if I'm adding sand or doing some major cleaning in the sump or in the tank.

I have personally found them useless they are only good for cleaning up your clarity. With a well established tank you don't need them.

Arya N Behgooy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a 10% water change on your tank every week and you are golden.

One of the problems some people run into is overfeeding their tanks and their fish.

If you do that you will probably need a filter sock. Rule of thumb is a four to five morsels per fish and you're fine.

Other than that you're over feeding and it will cause spikes in nitrate and phosphates.

bjdhty804

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have filter socks and floss ready to go, but use it only when I feel its necessary based on no3/po4. (Like right now...) I've got a fuge and don't mind all the crud going into it, but sometimes numbers creep up, and the tank needs a bit of polish, both those in there for 48 hours removed alot of gunk.

Dmat21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to not run filter socks because I hate cleaning them, but my sump ended up way too dirty for my liking and the way my sump is designed, the socks quiet a lot of the sounds the water going into the sump makes.

I have since changed my mesh socks over to plastic cups filled with cheap throwaway filter floss and I can let that run for a week or so before tossing it.
What cups did you find fit?

Minhaj Qazi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a search and can't find any recent threads on running filter socks or not. Just curious, who prefers running filter socks and who doesn't and why.
No Filter Socks Since an Year. Only Skimmer and Refugium. Cheto and Corals has Never Been So Happy.

Attachments

• 20210922_175855.jpg
    20210922_175855.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 50
Back