Filter sock or not??

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by OREGONIC, Aug 24, 2017.

?
  1. Yes and change at least every 3 days.

21.1%
  2. Yes and change weekly.

27.3%
  3. Yes but change less then once a week.

11.5%
  4. No filter sock for me.

31.6%
  5. I use floss instead of a sock.

8.4%
  1. jazzmik

jazzmik Active Member Tampa Bay Reef Keepers Build Thread Contributor

@seastar what cup(s) are you using? I saw someone here on another post mentioned the Bennigan's kids cup was perfect size for the RS sumps.

Do the one's you use slide into the holder?

2. seastar

seastar Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

@jazzmik There is a company here in the States that sells them and claim to hold a patent on them. I got mine from a company in the UK and they will ship here.
    I also talked to a few companies that are into making this sort of thing and pointed out the potential - most seemed very open to it.

I have a reefer 525xl which uses 4" cups, and they fit perfectly sliding in without needing the tray that comes with the reefer.

If I can't link mods fell free to remove...

US (scroll down on their page) : http://the-mold-shop.com/
    UK: (The one I went with and love - thought spendier): http://www.littleocean.co.uk/shop/crud-catcher-4-filter-sock-replacement.html

EDIT: Awesome on the Bennigans kids cup!

ThunderGoose and jazzmik like this.
  3. RyanCSGO

RyanCSGO Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

my sump is set up to run two 4 in socks.
    currently using them, but will likely stop in the coming weeks.
    mainly because I do get lazy about cleaning them

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  4. redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish Stay Positive, Stay Productive Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor NJRC Member

I have two drains entering my sump in opposite corners. The one drain that drains into the skimmer section has a mesh sock that gets changed when needed. It was originally installed because of fear of snails clogging up the skimmer pump. I think this was a false fear because I never notice snails in my sock, but I still run them because they remove a load of crap-o! And they are mesh....easy-peasy to clean by running them under the faucet and rubbing fabric to fabric - done!

ThunderGoose likes this.
  5. jazzmik

Thanks for links @seastar... I had actually contacted the UK one last week but he's out of stock on the high-flow ones. So waiting for those to come in. I think I'll be picking up a couple (reefer 450)

seastar likes this.
  6. Doubbler

Doubbler Member

I don't use any filter pads or socks. I do use an oversized skimmer, uv sterilizer, bio plastics reactor, gfo reactor, refugium, co2 scrubber, and carbon.

Hemmdog likes this.
  7. William Swartout

William Swartout Member

Orm Embar likes this.
  8. N4sty T4te

N4sty T4te Active Member

In my sps tank... I run Biopellets, skimmer, and a refugium. I found that not having socks allows me to keep lower nutrients in general because food particles circulate in the system instead of being filtered out quickly. 10% water change every 3 weeks.

I do feel like socks are useful if your trying to reduce nutrients. So to me there is fairly equal value in using vs not using them depending on the system.

9. TMB

TMB Active Member R2R Supporter AZ FRAG Member

I like to run socks off and on periodically. I always run them when blasting off the rocks to catch all that blows around. I run them for like 2 days afterwards and then remove.
    Basically no socks unless clean up is needed, then the socks go in to do the job.
    I think there are benefits to mechanical filtration if removed promptly, but also like to let things flow throughout the system most of the time.
    There needed to be an option for "sometimes" for me.

Hemmdog, bigdrew, klp and 1 other person like this.
  10. OREGONIC

OREGONIC Active Member

Im glad so many are chiming in their opinion and reason for why they do what they do. Very interesting thank you everyone who has contributed so far ;)

Hemmdog and CodyRVA like this.
  11. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Active Member

I thought that this was a pretty cool video, and based on that I started rinsing my socks twice weekly. I did get tired of it, and ended up pulling my sock out - I hope that my refugium appreciates the leftover food etc that the sock was catching. As long as my tank looks good, nitrates and phosphates are good (< 1/< 0.05), macroalgae growth is doing well, and I have no nuisance algae, then I will keep not using a filter sock.

12. ThunderGoose

ThunderGoose Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Great thread. Lots to think about. I'm getting a refugium going in my sump area so I may end up removing my socks - I find pods in them when I clean them and hate to loose those good guys. But I do get gunk out too.

Hmmm...

I may try what @TMB suggested - running on an as needed basis when I blast out my rock and sand. That's a good idea.

klp and TMB like this.
  13. pelphrey

pelphrey Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor

I don't have any filter media in these yet, but I have these in place of my socks now.

IMG_0216.JPG

Hemmdog, wesman42, Don Lidtke and 3 others like this.
  14. Robin Haselden

Robin Haselden Turtle R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Floss. I change it out every other day. I HATE cleaning socks... so I just use floss and throw it away.

klp and seastar like this.
  15. Robin Haselden

Robin Haselden Turtle R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

DIY or did you buy those?

16. Mortie31

Mortie31 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter UK Reef Club Member Build Thread Contributor

I use a Clarisea roller filter... I change the filter every 2months... perfect for me

Don Lidtke and Robin Haselden like this.
  17. pelphrey

pelphrey Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor

They came from Anything Acrylic in Australia. I wish I could make these!

Robin Haselden likes this.
  18. jazzmik

@pelphrey do those slide into the slots or lay on top of the holder?

19. pelphrey

That is a good question. They sit on the slider I believe. I say that because I took a dremel to the top plastic part on my sump so I can put socks in through the top instead of having to pull the sliders out.

20. ReeferMaddness843

ReeferMaddness843 Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

DIY floss basket. Catches most, lets some slide by so not over stripping. Toss every 2 days. IMG_8752.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted