Filter sock or not??

Do you use a filter sock

• Total voters

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have since changed my mesh socks over to plastic cups filled with cheap throwaway filter floss and I can let that run for a week or so before tossing it.

@seastar what cup(s) are you using? I saw someone here on another post mentioned the Bennigan's kids cup was perfect size for the RS sumps.

Do the one's you use slide into the holder?

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jazzmik There is a company here in the States that sells them and claim to hold a patent on them. I got mine from a company in the UK and they will ship here.
I also talked to a few companies that are into making this sort of thing and pointed out the potential - most seemed very open to it.

I have a reefer 525xl which uses 4" cups, and they fit perfectly sliding in without needing the tray that comes with the reefer.

If I can't link mods fell free to remove...

US (scroll down on their page) : http://the-mold-shop.com/
UK: (The one I went with and love - thought spendier): http://www.littleocean.co.uk/shop/crud-catcher-4-filter-sock-replacement.html

EDIT: Awesome on the Bennigans kids cup!

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sump is set up to run two 4 in socks.
currently using them, but will likely stop in the coming weeks.
mainly because I do get lazy about cleaning them

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two drains entering my sump in opposite corners. The one drain that drains into the skimmer section has a mesh sock that gets changed when needed. It was originally installed because of fear of snails clogging up the skimmer pump. I think this was a false fear because I never notice snails in my sock, but I still run them because they remove a load of crap-o! And they are mesh....easy-peasy to clean by running them under the faucet and rubbing fabric to fabric - done!

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jazzmik There is a company here in the States that sells them and claim to hold a patent on them. I got mine from a company in the UK and they will ship here.
I also talked to a few companies that are into making this sort of thing and pointed out the potential - most seemed very open to it.

I have a reefer 525xl which uses 4" cups, and they fit perfectly sliding in without needing the tray that comes with the reefer.

If I can't link mods fell free to remove...

US (scroll down on their page) : http://the-mold-shop.com/
UK: (The one I went with and love - thought spendier): http://www.littleocean.co.uk/shop/crud-catcher-4-filter-sock-replacement.html

EDIT: Awesome on the Bennigans kids cup!

Thanks for links @seastar... I had actually contacted the UK one last week but he's out of stock on the high-flow ones. So waiting for those to come in. I think I'll be picking up a couple (reefer 450)

Doubbler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use any filter pads or socks. I do use an oversized skimmer, uv sterilizer, bio plastics reactor, gfo reactor, refugium, co2 scrubber, and carbon.

N4sty T4te

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my sps tank... I run Biopellets, skimmer, and a refugium. I found that not having socks allows me to keep lower nutrients in general because food particles circulate in the system instead of being filtered out quickly. 10% water change every 3 weeks.

I do feel like socks are useful if your trying to reduce nutrients. So to me there is fairly equal value in using vs not using them depending on the system.

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to run socks off and on periodically. I always run them when blasting off the rocks to catch all that blows around. I run them for like 2 days afterwards and then remove.
Basically no socks unless clean up is needed, then the socks go in to do the job.
I think there are benefits to mechanical filtration if removed promptly, but also like to let things flow throughout the system most of the time.
There needed to be an option for "sometimes" for me.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 socks in my Trigger sump, I change them every 3-4 days. Here is a video BRS did on the effectiveness of filter socks.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/brstv-investigates-what-do-filter-socks-do-for-you

I thought that this was a pretty cool video, and based on that I started rinsing my socks twice weekly. I did get tired of it, and ended up pulling my sock out - I hope that my refugium appreciates the leftover food etc that the sock was catching. As long as my tank looks good, nitrates and phosphates are good (< 1/< 0.05), macroalgae growth is doing well, and I have no nuisance algae, then I will keep not using a filter sock.

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread. Lots to think about. I'm getting a refugium going in my sump area so I may end up removing my socks - I find pods in them when I clean them and hate to loose those good guys. But I do get gunk out too.

Hmmm...

I may try what @TMB suggested - running on an as needed basis when I blast out my rock and sand. That's a good idea.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any filter media in these yet, but I have these in place of my socks now.

IMG_0216.JPG

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pelphrey do those slide into the slots or lay on top of the holder?

That is a good question. They sit on the slider I believe. I say that because I took a dremel to the top plastic part on my sump so I can put socks in through the top instead of having to pull the sliders out.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back