Filter sock vs filter roller

Aquaman_79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fleece roller FTW hands down. Having to remember taking out sock, wash and replace are too many extra steps. Not going back to socks, got a Clarisea get 3 And im going on my 3rd month without replacing it! I don't know how you guys can keep up with your socks schedule. The roller also save you some much time AND money. Problem is when some members says it doesn't last long is probably because they aren't setting them up correctly, many just sit them in the sump where you would need to set them up high for head pressure and have the water work through the filter. STOP IT WITH YOUR DIRTY SOCKS! lol

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I keep reading too. Do you just spray them off with a mix of bleach and water? I’ve read you can also soak them in a bucket of bleach and water but I honestly don’t know anything about it. And yes I will have to set a reminder because my memory is terrible so you’re not alone!
Bleach doesn't remove dirt, it just bleaches the dirt so you might think they are clean but they aren't.
The only way to clean them properly is to turn them inside out else and rinse the h out of it.

BlackZebrasoma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently bought a waterbox frag 105.4 and have it cycling now. I don’t have the filter socks in or anything else and I’ve been doing some reading and realized how much of a pain it can be to have to wash filter socks. (This is my first tank with filter socks) I’ve been looking into roller mats and found the klir one but the reviews are both good and bad. I don’t want to modify much and I can’t seem to find a filter media cup that will fit my tank to use filter floss. So I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with the klir and if I should get it, or if anyone has a waterbox sump and knows of another filter roller I could get that would fit nicely without modifying the sump too much. Or if I should stick with filter socks, and if so what’s the easiest way to wash them.
Thanks in advance!
Clarisea roll filter is all i have to say.

RichM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have setup the klir filter roller in my waterbox reef 100.3. As someone stated earlier it never worked from day 1. I received a replacement controller and motor and neither solved the issues I was having (would never advance or trigger the motor, would just beep with an error message). I ended up getting rid of the controller all together and hardwiring the motor directly to the adapter, I then connected to my apex with an optical sensor and a simple program and now it works flawlessly. It stucks that I had to go this route but it is amazing now and not having to clean filter socks all the time is fantastic.

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have since installed a ReefMat and it was the best thing I ever did! My socks were clogging up so fast and it was becoming an annoying daily chore. But for me the biggest downside to socks was if I didn’t check the sock because I’d forget or was too lazy, it would clog up and the water would overflow all the crap back into my system making them useless. I can now enjoy 3 months of no sock changes and one less thing to worry about when I go on holidays.

Back