OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in a similar position recently and totally sold on roller mats until I looked into the cost of the fleece rolls. I would be spending about $700/yr for fleece that costs penny’s to make!

So for now I’m starting with filter cups and a big bag of Walmart fleece. Down the road I may go with no mechanical filtration, we’ll see. Some other options include reef diapers (disposable filter socks), or a fleece mat over the top of the sock holders (also a disposable option). One thing’s for sure; washing filter socks is not in my future.
I was gonna try out the reef diapers but I can’t find them in Canada

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're on the edge of whether you even need mechanical filtration or not, consider a filter cup with just course sponges. (I no longer use the pre filter pads, they clog too fast)
I do this in my tanks that have mainly corals and a small fish bio load. Works great cause the sponges only need to be rinsed out under the sink once every 15 to 20 days and even use the lower cup section for carbon.
IMG_3960.JPG
IMG_3885.JPG

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been doing the filter roller deal for a few years now on two different tanks, I have a gen 1 bubble magus roller (small). I'll never, ever go back to socks. Whoever said they would spend 700 bucks a year on fleece, that's preposterous! I burn through 3-5 rolls a year at 10 bucks a roll, per tank. I did go through a bit of a PITA phase with the setup & media issues but it's more than worth it now it's dialed in!

I do keep some mesh socks as a backup if the filter roller craps out.
I want to make this tank as automated as possible which is why a filter roller would be nice. Thanks for the help

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If
If you're on the edge of whether you even need mechanical filtration or not, consider a filter cup with just course sponges. (I no longer use the pre filter pads, they clog too fast)
I do this in my tanks that have mainly corals and a small fish bio load. Works great cause the sponges only need to be rinsed out under the sink once every 15 to 20 days and even use the lower cup section for carbon.
IMG_3960.JPG
If I could find one that fits a waterbox 4 inch sock I would get them for sure

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The roll is a cool gadget but it cost significantly more than socks.
I bought a roll of filter material for $20 a year ago, my wife sewed 10 socks out of the material, a year later they are still going strong. It takes 20 seconds or so to change out a sock and I wash them every two weeks.
I'd rather have the roller money (a few hundred) and the replacement roll money in my pocket to invest in livestock.
But they look cool.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The roll is a cool gadget but it cost significantly more than socks.
I bought a roll of filter material for $20 a year ago, my wife sewed 10 socks out of the material, a year later they are still going strong. It takes 20 seconds or so to change out a sock and I wash them every two weeks.
I'd rather have the roller money (a few hundred) and the replacement roll money in my pocket to invest in livestock.
But they look cool.
Once I get down a plan to wash them I don’t think it’ll be too bad. If the klir had better reviews I’d probably get it but I don’t wanna waste all that money on something that will only work half the time.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone decides to use filter socks in the washing machine:

Do not use fabric softener ever (not even with your clothes). It will stay in the fabric softener compartment and go into your filter socks. You need to remove that sticky soapy residue from the softener compartment before you can wash your socks inside the machine, then switch to drier sheets (if you must use a softener).

If you don’t do this, your skimmer will overflow every time you change it out for about 25-30 minutes. There’s also unknown effects to the tank.

I find using detergent doesn’t linger in washing machines, but fabric softeners do! Our family used to be huge on fabric softener, but i stopped all use in the washer. If they want their clothes “soft” then they can use drier sheets.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the klir had better reviews I’d probably get it but I don’t wanna waste all that money on something that will only work half the time.
Honestly, the KLIR works fine for it's purpose so long as you do not have limpets and spawning snails in your tank. The basic issues are snails tearing the fleece and too much flow (500 gph or less is optimum for the 4" version)

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, if it is best practice to remove filter socks every few days to avoid solids breaking down, shouldn't it be the same with filter cups? Its seems the filter cup users leave them in for extended periods.

I have gone without mechanical filtration on my current system for many years but it has its problems. I am planning a new larger system and I think I will go with rollers. My issue is that I work away from home during the week and can't be there to change the socks/cups more than one a week.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, if it is best practice to remove filter socks every few days to avoid solids breaking down, shouldn't it be the same with filter cups? Its seems the filter cup users leave them in for extended periods.

I have gone without mechanical filtration on my current system for many years but it has its problems. I am planning a new larger system and I think I will go with rollers. My issue is that I work away from home during the week and can't be there to change the socks/cups more than one a week.
Yeah I would say so. BRS found 3 days for filter socks is the ideal number based on nutrient tests and I have no reason to believe it will be different with floss. That said, lots of people go longer too or wait until they’re completely clogged and overflowing.

The real benefit to floss is that it’s disposable and incredibly cheap. Just throw it away, stuff some more in, and done. None of this washing machine business. I like the @pecan2phat idea too; my tanks up until now have been either HOB or canisters and it’s not a huge deal to rinse regular sponges every 2-4 weeks. Still better than dealing with dirty socks Q3 days IMO.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I keep reading too. Do you just spray them off with a mix of bleach and water? I’ve read you can also soak them in a bucket of bleach and water but I honestly don’t know anything about it. And yes I will have to set a reminder because my memory is terrible so you’re not alone
I am currently just pulling them out and spraying them off immediately in the sink (inside out). If I do it while they are still wet, they clean pretty easily this way. Not as good as the washing machine, but, it is so much easier I live with it.

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I get down a plan to wash them I don’t think it’ll be too bad. If the klir had better reviews I’d probably get it but I don’t wanna waste all that money on something that will only work half the time.
Dont!!! The Klir is horrendous!!!! I soooo wanted it to work cause it fit right into the filter sock hole, but it just didnt. CoralVue was great with troubleshooting and sending parts, still It never worked correctly from day 1

Viet658

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had my bubble Magus filter roller for a few days now but it seems to be doing a really good job. Before and after pictures below after 12 hours of use. So far it’s using about 1’ of roll every two days. At this rate it’ll take about a year to go through one roll since new rolls are about 164’.
1B26E99F-74A0-445C-876B-3DB545CD7B22.jpeg
148369F4-32E0-4384-B496-B9B32BFE364E.jpeg

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only had my bubble Magus filter roller for a few days now but it seems to be doing a really good job. Before and after pictures below after 12 hours of use. So far it’s using about 1’ of roll every two days. At this rate it’ll take about a year to go through one roll since new rolls are about 164’.
1B26E99F-74A0-445C-876B-3DB545CD7B22.jpeg
148369F4-32E0-4384-B496-B9B32BFE364E.jpeg
Is it the gen2 model bubble magus, I'm curious about them.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back