OP
M

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be weird to be two nylon mesh bags and a media cup to put my pouch of gfo in-have 3 bags in sump

Appreciate the responses

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be weird to be two nylon mesh bags and a media cup to put my pouch of gfo in-have 3 bags in sump

Appreciate the responses
So I use, One sock, the InTank branded Media basket with (Chemipure Blue, Clear FX Pro, and a bag of MarinePure Marine Pure Biofilter). Every set-up is different, the one I have worked for me..I also do a sump cleaning as well, cleaning the debris out but putting back the water in the sump....

randalli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use 200micron nylon socks which I replace every other day (or when the first sock is full which happens within 2-3 days to keep nutrients in check). I have 3 pairs of them and they are easy to wash out. I turn them inside out under warm water and rub them between my hands. One pair is in the tank while a second pair waits to be installed and a third pair is drying on a rack. I have used media cups for a long time with a self-designed spacer to not use too much cotton. But even with rinsing the cotton out multiple times it just became too much waste for my taste and I switched to the nylon socks. Some pro-reefers say you don't really need any mechanical filtering and just vacuum out the sump but then my tank would look like a milky soup all the time because my Belulus is digging like crazy all the time.
I would opt for 400 micron socks when you can get the hold of them. They are like a good in-between.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for those that don't wash them until end of the month do they not grow mould on them by that time? or you put in a bucket of RO water? I have around 4 filter socks 150 micron and once I've used 2 I hose them off and let dry for 3-4 days before I have to use them. just a easy cycle. but they are changed out every 2-4 days depends on the feeding.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running cups and floss but I honestly don't think they clean as good as socks. Easier yes. Better probably not. My sump gets dirtier using floss it seems.

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like after a short short amount of time my filter socks stop allowing water to flow thru

what filter socks do you use

4inch ring, about 10in long

79496BF0-7E8E-4319-B0F7-D13F8A1C5903.jpeg
Years ago I had the same problem and I hated washing filter socks. I couldn't find any disposable filter socks for sale, so I made my own. They worked so well that I decided to create a new product for the reefing community. Our disposable filter socks have a reusable flange assembly and a light weight disposable filter element. They are very simple to change and cost less than a buck when you order a pack of thirty. You can follow the link below for more details. Let me know if you have any questions.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I had the same problem and I hated washing filter socks. I couldn't find any disposable filter socks for sale, so I made my own. They worked so well that I decided to create a new product for the reefing community. Our disposable filter socks have a reusable flange assembly and a light weight disposable filter element. They are very simple to change and cost less than a buck when you order a pack of thirty. You can follow the link below for more details. Let me know if you have any questions.
Do these fit RS version 3 sumps without modification?

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bore diameters of the Red Sea filter trays are smaller than standard bores and the Reef Diaper won't fit without modification. I have machined some of our existing flanges to fit the Red Sea trays and the prototypes are working well. We should have some production units available soon.
IMG_3416.jpg

iko2thdk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bore diameters of the Red Sea filter trays are smaller than standard bores and the Reef Diaper won't fit without modification. I have machined some of our existing flanges to fit the Red Sea trays and the prototypes are working well. We should have some production units available soon.
IMG_3416.jpg
Just wondering if the flanges for the RSR sumps are ready. So tired of washing felt filter socks!!!

Reef Diaper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if the flanges for the RSR sumps are ready. So tired of washing felt filter socks!!!
Yes, they are ready. We are just waiting for the shopping cart to be added to the website. It is supposed to be ready next week. Sorry, everything seems to be taking longer these days. I will post an update as soon as the website is complete.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back