Filter socks housing bacteria generated by nopox

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been doing a mini test on my system. I noticed that while dosing nopox I have never gotten nitrates below 18 -20 ppm EXCEPT for a few times. I also realized snmall fluctuations in nitrates probably day I change them since putting in new clean socks. And realized when it dip down lower than that it may have been I didn’t change my filter socks on schedule. And as many people witnessed that filter socks rapidly clog when dosing nopox or carbon. So I purposely let my socks in and overflow when they clogged for a few extra days and now my nitrates are down to 10. People say they are nitrate factories but when dosing carbon May seem the opposite. Has anyone experienced this or noticed this? Curious

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been doing a mini test on my system. I noticed that while dosing nopox I have never gotten nitrates below 18 -20 ppm EXCEPT for a few times. I also realized snmall fluctuations in nitrates probably day I change them since putting in new clean socks. And realized when it dip down lower than that it may have been I didn’t change my filter socks on schedule. And as many people witnessed that filter socks rapidly clog when dosing nopox or carbon. So I purposely let my socks in and overflow when they clogged for a few extra days and now my nitrates are down to 10. People say they are nitrate factories but when dosing carbon May seem the opposite. Has anyone experienced this or noticed this? Curious
The nitrates in my system drop when white film forms on the aquarium surfaces from dosing vinegar. This is repeatable. Growing a large amount of bacteria removes nitrate quickly. Maybe in your case, by not changing the filter stock the amount of bacteria in the system is larger and more effective at nitrate removal.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back