filter socks. needed? or not really?

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i plan on building my own sump. this is my first sump, and am doing it to help control nitrates, for the most part. it will also help better prepare me for doing corals as well. currently, im using a canister filter.

so within this design phase, it will be a 20g long with a spot for a skimmer, refugium, and obviously, the return. my plan is to have space to the exit of the refugium for different medias, but on the entry side, other than the skimmer, i have thought about if i should add some sort of filtration, albeit a filter sock or some other type of filter. although i know the purpose of the filter sock, would it really be that beneficial when it comes to a skimmer? in theory, the filter sock will obviously catch larger particles, which will then leave the skimmer to the much smaller stuff, but is it really worth it, to add a pre filter before the skimmer? right now, i am just on a 20gal long DT, but will eventually setup my 65 gal, so i want to try to future proof myself a little bit so that i dont have to do double work later, but at the same time, i dont want to add a filter sock if it isnt really necessary. i understand that it will be useful, but at the same time, it just seems like an additonal thing to clean in addition to the skimmer or other medias within it.

thoughts? suggestions?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i plan on building my own sump. this is my first sump, and am doing it to help control nitrates, for the most part. it will also help better prepare me for doing corals as well. currently, im using a canister filter.

so within this design phase, it will be a 20g long with a spot for a skimmer, refugium, and obviously, the return. my plan is to have space to the exit of the refugium for different medias, but on the entry side, other than the skimmer, i have thought about if i should add some sort of filtration, albeit a filter sock or some other type of filter. although i know the purpose of the filter sock, would it really be that beneficial when it comes to a skimmer? in theory, the filter sock will obviously catch larger particles, which will then leave the skimmer to the much smaller stuff, but is it really worth it, to add a pre filter before the skimmer? right now, i am just on a 20gal long DT, but will eventually setup my 65 gal, so i want to try to future proof myself a little bit so that i dont have to do double work later, but at the same time, i dont want to add a filter sock if it isnt really necessary. i understand that it will be useful, but at the same time, it just seems like an additonal thing to clean in addition to the skimmer or other medias within it.

thoughts? suggestions?
+1 vote for having filter socks on entry side

Think you've already outlined why its good (larger particles), why its not (another thing to clean) and your available space.

Post #5 of this link has photos regarding cleaning filter socks:

The quantity of stuff that comes out of the tank when I clean filter socks is ICKY and this is with cleaning my skimmer daily so my XXL skimmer cup doesn't overflow. I shudder to think what my tank would be like if I didn't have sock on entry to sump points, but know lots are doing tanks without socks. Defer to others on their tanks & opinions, but in my case very glad I use filter socks (despite my cheap and lazy nature <wink>)

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have socks in my first chamber before my chaeto. I decided to stop using them and was sorry I did. I ended up with so much crap in my chaeto chamber that I had to pull it clean the chamber and started over with a new batch of chaeto. I have enough socks for 4 changes. When I use the last ones I just run the others through the washing machin turned inside out then right side out for an additional rinsw since I add a dab of bleach.

OP
OP
melonheadorion

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have socks in my first chamber before my chaeto. I decided to stop using them and was sorry I did. I ended up with so much crap in my chaeto chamber that I had to pull it clean the chamber and started over with a new batch of chaeto. I have enough socks for 4 changes. When I use the last ones I just run the others through the washing machin turned inside out then right side out for an additional rinsw since I add a dab of bleach.
these are the kind of answers i was hoping for. thumbs up to you and FTP. i think i will opt to do filter socks. i do plan on doing cheato, so i would want to avoid contamination of it where i can.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a pair of small micron felt socks and I'd swear by them now. My skimmer isn't broke in yet so it's doing me no good n w these socks( they catch everything) I clean them daily due to skimmer n my tank is doing great. Can't wait for the skimmer though good luck on your sump

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back