Filter socks or no

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I designed my sump in mind if the socks clogged. Then there is an overflow. That way the water is channeled where you want it to go.

As far as the socks. I use 200 micron. Maybe what you are using is like 100. Try some 200 or bigger. If you only want big particles you can use the felt ones.

Amazon is good source to try different ones at good price
Well you are right, the one I use is a 100 micron fine filter felt polish sock.
I might switch to the 225 microb filter sock.. but this one is always doing these loud gurgling noise.. dont know why..
I think the water is falling from too high into the filter sock and then is makes the waterfall noise.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used socks......easy method of removing junk. After seeing what my socks look like when it is time to change them, I cannot allow that to circulate untouched in my tank lol. I only change when they start to overflow though, which is like once a week.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you are right, the one I use is a 100 micron fine filter felt polish sock.
I might switch to the 225 microb filter sock.. but this one is always doing these loud gurgling noise.. dont know why..
I think the water is falling from too high into the filter sock and then is makes the waterfall noise.
Lets see your sump setup. Maybe can help with that

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried going without them. My fuge is in the chamber after the sock holder. My chaeto became so filled with crap that I pitched it and started with a new ball and put the socks back in. I'm not a clean freak and really don't even clean my sump but it was trashed.
Maybe I feed too much and I don't shut the return off because I don't feel like walking up and down the stairs to turn it off. I am. Using reef diapers so I just toss them in the trash. I run mesh socks in my redsea tanks because they are so much easier to clean than felt socks.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my sock "felt" from red sea pretty much cloggs in one day and the water is running all over
how do you guys fix that

i mean its one day....

or do you use other micron socks
I tried the felt socks that came with my reefer 300. They clean no doubt about it but like you they plugged too quickly and are a total PITA to get clean. I run redsea mesh socks instead. I think they are 200 micron and are easy to clean with a garden hose.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back