filtered fridge water vs rodi system

Jamilio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that everyone talks about using RODI water and the benefits but I just have the fluval 13.5 and not looking to spend more money than I need to. I see a couple RODI systems on amazon canada for $100 but I'm wondering if I can just use my filtered water from my fridge and condition it with alpha for reefs.

I had the protein skimmer in there but after a growth of hair algae, I installed more CUC and changed the first chamber to floss, chemi blue, and biomedia gems, and second chamber I filled with Biomedia balls.

I currently have a couple frags of lps and 2 clownfish.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the same thing..filtered is not RODI.

Whether you can use your tap water is more dependent on the quality. If you're on well water, you may be ok - not common but definitely possible. Most city water isn't going to sufficient without treatment.

If you're tap water isn't the right quality - the fridge filter won't help.

Vast majority of reefers who don't have access to ocean end up buying RODI (it's a core purchase in my opinion - like a return pump). Unless you have fish store that sells water, DI from big box or a reef pal with one close by that will work too. But it's gets old lugging water.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is basically nothing but keeping water. RODI water will be 0 tds and starts you off clean. My tap water is around 60 tds and when I check my fridge it’s around 52 tds. If you start with that water, you are already fighting a battle.
It is possible that it could work but not probable and why add all those chems and different media’s where you could just start with good water?
RODI is is essential.

OP
OP
Jamilio

Jamilio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for clarifying that. Any suggestions for a cheap RODI unit that I can just attach to my kitchen sink when I'm doing my water changes? Been looking at a couple on amazon but there's 3 stage, 4 stage, etc? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this from Amazon (you also get directly from KoolerMax) AR-122

Now it worked fine, but I ended replacing the DI Resin a few months as my water required better resin (all on build thread). But the RO membrane and filters did just fine for me.

Still using the RO/filter section after 2+ years. Upgraded a flush valve and an inline TDS meter over time along with the 3 stage resin. Matter of fact, just re-ordered the filters from KoolerMax the other day.

Quokka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to what others have already said, RODI is a pretty unanimous requirement for long term reef stability. Some parameters in reef aquaria fit in a very narrow window. As such, these parameters are maintained (and possibly ruined) with the water you add to it.

The filter in your fridge isn't going to remove the contaminants well enough and may work well temporarily but those contaminants will accumulate in your aquarium and be a huge headache (high nutrients resulting in nuisance algae, heavy metals, etc). Water is one element you should not skimp on. Get a cheap total dissolve solids (TDS) meter on amazon or something and test your tap/fridge/RODI water - RODI should show 0 TDS and city tap water is probably anywhere from 100-400.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked on BRS. There's a 4 stage RODI 75GPD system for about the same price. I would go with that instead of my recommendation. The vertical resin works much better in my opinion.

OP
OP
Jamilio

Jamilio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked on BRS. There's a 4 stage RODI 75GPD system for about the same price. I would go with that instead of my recommendation. The vertical resin works much better in my opinion.
So I need a 4 stage system? 3 stage isn't good enough?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's hard to say without testing. I was burning through mixed media like crazy with my water. Went to full 7 stage resin and everything got better. But some people can use simple 4 stage and be fine. You can always upgrade if needed.

OP
OP
Jamilio

Jamilio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so not that I'm trying to be cheap, but I was in my basement looking for a TDS meter which came with my "zero water" filter and I found additional brand new filters. Could I not use this for now as it brings TDS down to zero?

OP
OP
Jamilio

Jamilio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, am I to change my tank water one or two changes, or gradually through weekly water changes?

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so not that I'm trying to be cheap, but I was in my basement looking for a TDS meter which came with my "zero water" filter and I found additional brand new filters. Could I not use this for now as it brings TDS down to zero?
Does it actually bring TDS down to 0?

Quokka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't that pitcher just DI resin? I would suspect that it wouldn't be able to handle the volumes associated with a reef tank and the cost of replacement cartridges pretty expensive

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this from Amazon (you also get directly from KoolerMax) AR-122

Now it worked fine, but I ended replacing the DI Resin a few months as my water required better resin (all on build thread). But the RO membrane and filters did just fine for me.

Still using the RO/filter section after 2+ years. Upgraded a flush valve and an inline TDS meter over time along with the 3 stage resin. Matter of fact, just re-ordered the filters from KoolerMax the other day.
I have one of those units. It’s fairly new but my pressure is dropping quickly (input water: tds=85ppm). Did you backflush it? If so, how did you do that, and have you found other pre-filters other than the ones on their website? I bought some generic 2.5” filters that had different sizes interior holes. Thanks

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One alternative to rodi for a small tank would be buying jugs of distilled water from the grocery store

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just use this Rodi it’s a pretty fair price nothing crazy it does 75gpd...small compact easy to use and works great I use this for my 12 gal nano and my 75 gallon...if you’re keeping coral it’s best to use ROdi just get this unit you won’t regret it trust me I use it personally...the reason you have hair alagarse it’s because of the filtered water most likely it has high nutrients. Don’t ask no more about other Rodi units just go buy this and your problems will be solved

OP
OP
Jamilio

Jamilio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just use this Rodi it’s a pretty fair price nothing crazy it does 75gpd...small compact easy to use and works great I use this for my 12 gal nano and my 75 gallon...if you’re keeping coral it’s best to use ROdi just get this unit you won’t regret it trust me I use it personally...the reason you have hair alagarse it’s because of the filtered water most likely it has high nutrients. Don’t ask no more about other Rodi units just go buy this and your problems will be solved

USA $89, Canada $250 ***.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, am I to change my tank water one or two changes, or gradually through weekly water changes?
I’m not sure I understand the question. If you’re asking about changing all the water, don’t do that. You should change about 20% weekly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back