Filtration Options

Lalaallieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a 75 gallon tank on Black Friday for 250 tank and stand, however it is undrilled. I'm trying to decide what to do as far filtration. I can either pay to have it drilled (I don't trust my own abilities) which honestly is probably the best option, but I'm also looking for other alternative options and just trying to research. I could use HOB stuff, my first thought was an HOB aquaclear modded into a fuge because I am impatient and just wanted it up. My first reef tank in 2009, was all HOB, so I'm not against it. But I also saw Fiji cube makes AIO boxes. Then on facebook I saw people doing simple water changes with zero actual filtration. I understand a sump is the way to go, don't come for me LOL. I'm just trying to research how else it can be done, how others have done reefing successfully outside of a sump for filtration.

Maks Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can go any of the ways you described, I think it really depends on what all you intend to keep and the type of equipment you want to run overall. Few thoughts..

Drilling - you should consider an overflow kit and bulkhead(s) for the return(s). Then of course you'll need a sump and return pump at the minimum with all the plumbing. Provides a better place for stuff like skimmers, heaters, and other filtration and makes maintenance convenient IMO.

HOB - As you said there are so many options - I feel It can cost more $ overall and I also feel like the resale value of those types of products aren't as good.

Zero filtration - always a fun idea and it can work.. I had a 150 gallon on a closed loop without filtration and was petty successful with it. I did go overboard with the amount of live rock and clean up crew I put into the system though to ensure I was getting sufficient bio filtration. Algae and detritus were definitely more apparent and had to be manually maintained more frequently. I also was very particular about food quantities and the number of fish I had in the setup.

Good luck - hope to see post of what you decide once you get it up and running

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sumps, canisters, HOB overflows, HOB filters, AIO, and more - there are a lot of options. I have run all of these at some point and still use several of these methods. That said, IMO, unless it is impractical I would recommend a drilled tank with a sump for a 75g tank. Good luck with whatever you choose!

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always done HOB since I started, so I know absolutely zero about sumps. My setup is fairly simple like it sounds your previous one was. 90 gal.
Started with HOB skimmer, carbon/ media canister, polishing power head , 18 watt (I think lol) UV , a few other small Hydor powerheads for flow, and plenty of live rock...I dumped the Carbon /media about 15 years ago upon advice recieved and tank has been thriving since. Bout 5% water changes weekly.
Mostly softies, lots of inverts and relatively few fish...
I'm used to it over the years and it prevents me from screwing things up lol. Nervous Nellie here about trying anything different....

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always start with a standalone tank, then as you add more stuff or feel like you need better nutrient export/filtration, you can add an HOB overflow box to plumb to a sump/refugium into the stand (or basement, or separate room..) . No drilling required. The only downside is that the HOB overflow box occasionally gets bubbles trapped in the syphon which slows down the drain rate.

OP
OP
Lalaallieu

Lalaallieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always done HOB since I started, so I know absolutely zero about sumps. My setup is fairly simple like it sounds your previous one was. 90 gal.
Started with HOB skimmer, carbon/ media canister, polishing power head , 18 watt (I think lol) UV , a few other small Hydor powerheads for flow, and plenty of live rock...I dumped the Carbon /media about 15 years ago upon advice recieved and tank has been thriving since. Bout 5% water changes weekly.
Mostly softies, lots of inverts and relatively few fish...
I'm used to it over the years and it prevents me from screwing things up lol. Nervous Nellie here about trying anything different....

I am TERRIFIED of having this tank drilled. I've had a few people tell me they've drilled for years and can do it and I am still scared. I have kept two HOB tanks and all my rest have been AIO. I'm terrified of having it drilled, but scared of the horror stories of HOB Overflows flooding your house, and my whole apartment is hardwood/tile.

OP
OP
Lalaallieu

Lalaallieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always start with a standalone tank, then as you add more stuff or feel like you need better nutrient export/filtration, you can add an HOB overflow box to plumb to a sump/refugium into the stand (or basement, or separate room..) . No drilling required. The only downside is that the HOB overflow box occasionally gets bubbles trapped in the syphon which slows down the drain rate.
HOB overflows are known to lose siphon and flood aren't they?

Maks Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can loose syphon and cause flooding. You can always hook up a water level sensor to your return pump though to help prevent that from happening.

I get why you would be scared, but drilling the tank is perfectly safe and relatively easy. To put it into perspective, every glass tank with over flow in the world is drilled at some point. If you have someone who is confident they can do it you should be just fine.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought my Red Sea 265 max, it was AIO with the RS skimmer in the back compartment. I wasn't happy with the performance of the RS skimmer so I put a Reef Octopus HOB in the back compartment. It worked very good! I also have a Red Sea 170 AIO and I did the exact same thing with that. And then there was the HOB refugium. It worked great too.

Although this set up worked well, I eventually bought in cabinet sumps and converted both tanks. They both run even better in this configuration.

You can run a successful tank with the HOB filtration. If you don't want to run a sump, go HOB. I am glad though that I finally got away from the HOB set up. The tanks are much cleaner and run better.

Maks Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can loose syphon and cause flooding. You can always hook up a water level sensor to your return pump though to help prevent that from happening.

I get why you would be scared, but drilling the tank is perfectly safe and relatively easy. To put it into perspective, every glass tank with over flow in the world is drilled at some point. If you have someone who is confident they can do it you should be just fine.

Good kit I’ve used before - comes with everything you need for the over flow and really makes installation easy.

You could then drill a second hole for the return or just build a the return to come over the rim of the tank.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am TERRIFIED of having this tank drilled. I've had a few people tell me they've drilled for years and can do it and I am still scared. I have kept two HOB tanks and all my rest have been AIO. I'm terrified of having it drilled, but scared of the horror stories of HOB Overflows flooding your house, and my whole apartment is hardwood/tile.
If this tank is from Petco®. Do Not drill it.
All Petco's 55 and 75 gallon tanks are tempered glass. All panels.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If this tank is from Petco®. Do Not drill it.
All Petco's 55 and 75 gallon tanks are tempered glass. All panels.

That doesn't match my experience. There are several YouTube videos that show how to use polarized sunglasses to determine for yourself whether or not the glass is tempered and whether or not it is safe to be drilled.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some Petco 55g are tempered and some Petco 75g are tempered. Some are tempered on just some sides - it is as if the manufacturer uses whatever glass is available. Always best to test with polarized lenses so you know for yourself.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my tanks are tempered on every panel. I did the test on both.
I wanted to drill them on the side panel. I assumed just the bottom was tempered when I bought them. Wrong. So I made a sump with one, and use the other to mix SW.
Just saying, these were purchased this year, and have yet to see one in Petco without the Warning sticker since.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco is a store where I bought my Marineland 75 gallon tank, which I drilled.
Certainly not tempered.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before paying someone to drill it .
be careful .
I had a 75 which was clearly labeled tempered glass on the bottom .
some manufacturers have used tempered glass on sides and back as well

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And looking at several of the responses they really aren't helping imo anyway in terms of the terrified aspect. Go with your gut. You'll have a fine reef drill or no drill, that I do KNOW.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back