Filtration / Roller V Skimmer

James001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, setting up a beginner tank, 50g display, 10 gallon sump volume soft corals, what would you rather use a filter roller or a skimmer?

Black Friday, so I am working out a purchase soon, either a Theiling Compact roller filter or a Coral box D300+ skimmer, I don't want to over filter the tank or buy excess equipment.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why the reef community is still pushing skimmers. Skimmate analysis and skimmers studies has shown skimmers to be far less effective at filtration then other methods (activated carbon, resins, refugium, etc...). In fact, aeration may be their best benefit to you tank...which again can be done with better flow and surface agitation.

I also prefer ultra low maintenance, which a roller matt gives you in spades! Also, a roller matt is more effective at removing particulates in your tank then a skimmer.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why the reef community is still pushing skimmers. Skimmate analysis and skimmers studies has shown skimmers to be far less effective at filtration then other methods (activated carbon, resins, refugium, etc...). In fact, aeration may be their best benefit to you tank...which again can be done with better flow and surface agitation.

I also prefer ultra low maintenance, which a roller matt gives you in spades! Also, a roller matt is more effective at removing particulates in your tank then a skimmer.
Not really disagreeing and actually I regularly chime in against monster slimmers. But if O2 is it, then a skimmer does gas exchange like no other...
So as for Roller mats value, did I mention I change socks 2-3X per week

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really disagreeing and actually I regularly chime in against monster slimmers. But if O2 is it, then a skimmer does gas exchange like no other...
So as for Roller mats value, did I mention I change socks 2-3X per week
How many tanks have issues with gas exchange or O2 levels? With proper flow and surface agitation most tanks are at proper levels.

I would look to using a Skimmer if I really couldn't get my tank parameters where I wanted them and thought aeration was the issue.

OP
OP
J

James001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys I went with the Theiling, my internal debate was on if the skimmer would capture more organics considering some fish food, detritus probably decays in the display and misses the filter roller

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both. I run a medium BM roller mat for large particles like excess food n what not and the skimmer for dissolved organics and gas exchange. It's no different than socks as far as filtration goes, you just don't have to change em every couple days. I usually get around a month & 1/2 between rolls and I empty the skimmer every 3-4 days of some really nasty gunk.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both. I run a medium BM roller mat for large particles like excess food n what not and the skimmer for dissolved organics and gas exchange. It's no different than socks as far as filtration goes, you just don't have to change em every couple days. I usually get around a month & 1/2 between rolls and I empty the skimmer every 3-4 days of some really nasty gunk.
Again the evidence suggests that skimmers are much less effective than other filtration methods. If you have these other methods, I wouldn't waste money on a skimmer.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant the roller mat is no different than socks, not the skimmer. The point I was trying to make was even with the mechanical filtration of the roller mat the skimmer is still doing it's job and pulling lots of stuff from the water. They have two completely different functions. You can spend your money any way you like. I will always have a decent skimmer. :)

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents:

1) A skimmer removes roughly 20-30% of total organic carbon (https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/1/aafeature)
2) Mechanical filtration reduces nitrates by roughly 30% (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/brstv-investigates-what-do-filter-socks-do-for-you)

I would consider both of them to be roughly equally effective based on that.
Activated carbon and resin is 60 to 80% effective of removing TOC. Far better than a skimmer. I'd rather use a couple chemipure blue media bags and replace them every couple months....instead of dealing with a skimmer.

OP
OP
J

James001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input today. I am starting the tank with only the filter roller and will consider adding an algae reactor or small refugium or small skimmer if the need arises down the road. I am very much trying to keep it simple. So for the time being I will see if a filter roller and carbon in a bag can keep it looking nice and clean.

Very excited to see how the tank comes together, going to be fun have a tank again its been a while. Going with green star polyps, zoanthids, gorgonians, leathers, mushrooms.

OP
OP
J

James001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Activated carbon and resin is 60 to 80% effective of removing TOC. Far better than a skimmer. I'd rather use a couple chemipure blue media bags and replace them every couple months....instead of dealing with a skimmer.

Good point never used chemipure before I'll have to look into that.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any raw data on ChemiPure (I haven't seen any)?

For activated carbon, I agree that it is quite useful. I haven't checked as to how long it lasts in my tank, though - I used to check water color to determine when it was time to replace it. I may try Purigen to see how it works, as that's the alternative that I have (I haven't tried ChemiPure).

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any raw data on ChemiPure (I haven't seen any)?

For activated carbon, I agree that it is quite useful. I haven't checked as to how long it lasts in my tank, though - I used to check water color to determine when it was time to replace it. I may try Purigen to see how it works, as that's the alternative that I have (I haven't tried ChemiPure).

I don't. It is a combo of high-quality activated carbon and resin.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back