Final couple fish for 80g lagoon?

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at my build thread if you want to see recent videos of the tank and fish.

Here’s my current stock list:
2 ocellaris clownfish
Bicolor blenny
Two-spot bristletooth tang
Melanurus wrasse
Copperband butterfly
3 springeri damsels
Flame angel

Looking for recommendations for a couple more fish to add to my tank. I love fish that are active; my melanurus wrasse, bristletooth tang, and flame angel are my favorite fish I currently have. My tank is a mixed reef, but I’m willing to take calculated risks for the right fish (see flame angel above).

A few possibilities I’ve been considering:
Blue star leopard wrasse
Biota yellow tang
One-spot foxface
Flasher or fairy wrasse of some variety
Open to other suggestions?

I don’t want a fish that I will never see because it’s always hiding. I also don’t want a fish that I’ll have to rehome eventually because it will outgrow my tank (the footprint is 4’x2’).

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
01D85C08-6F45-4E0E-A0A6-D94E7E61946D.jpeg 607E1DCB-7106-4BC6-B92A-5B364A2C9439.jpeg

I enjoy my Chalk Bass and Fang Blenny :)

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my only Blenny (20-gallon tank), so I’d get some better opinions. But you do have 80-gallons to work with, so…? ;)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at my build thread if you want to see recent videos of the tank and fish.

2 ocellaris clownfish
Bicolor blenny
Melanurus wrasse
Copperband butterfly
3 springeri damsels
Flame angel

Looking for recommendations for a couple more fish to add to my tank. I love fish that are active; my melanurus wrasse, bristletooth tang, and flame angel are my favorite fish I currently have. My tank is a mixed reef, but I’m willing to take calculated risks for the right fish (see flame angel above).

Blue star leopard wrasse
Biota yellow tang
One-spot foxface

I don’t want a fish that I will never see because it’s always hiding. I also don’t want a fish that I’ll have to rehome eventually because it will outgrow my tank (the footprint is 4’x2’).
Have you got a lid? If so have you ever tried a tilefish? My flashing tilefish is a beauty in my tank and they’re completely reef safe. Although they do need a more peaceful introduction but I managed mine in with an established jade, twin spot bristletooth and a magnificent foxface. All in a 4’x2’x2’ tank, I also second the leopard wrasse however have you ever thought about the other species? I love the female kuiteri and the negrosensis.
Here’s photos of the ones I own:
E0DC360C-A604-4F36-A2D0-4985A3BD51D6.jpeg
image.jpg
34A28783-AA3B-4B6B-A7F5-508DE2104C10.jpeg

And the ones I don’t own:
Kuiters Leopard Wrasse
6193EC4F-4C8A-4053-AACA-ACD10207BADA.jpeg

Black Leopard Wrasse
05257B0D-09E7-4C48-A9FA-AA646EEA20BD.jpeg

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I dive, I often see Chalk Bass on the sandy bottom of a sort of lagoon setting. You might think of getting one of them.
What kind of personality/activity do chalk bass typically have?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They remind me of cats— my Chalk Bass is out hovering in open water half the time, and the other half poised in a nook looking outward, waiting for a piece of food to capitalize on. The blue color is better looking in person than the photo, because it is slightly iridescent. They also have a Tobacco Basslet which has brown instead of blue, and I believe gets a little bigger than the Chalk Bass.

Last edited:
OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got a lid? If so have you ever tried a tilefish? My flashing tilefish is a beauty in my tank and they’re completely reef safe. Although they do need a more peaceful introduction but I managed mine in with an established jade, twin spot bristletooth and a magnificent foxface. All in a 4’x2’x2’ tank, I also second the leopard wrasse however have you ever thought about the other species? I love the female kuiteri and the negrosensis.
Here’s photos of the ones I own:
E0DC360C-A604-4F36-A2D0-4985A3BD51D6.jpeg
image.jpg
34A28783-AA3B-4B6B-A7F5-508DE2104C10.jpeg

And the ones I don’t own:
Kuiters Leopard Wrasse
6193EC4F-4C8A-4053-AACA-ACD10207BADA.jpeg

Black Leopard Wrasse
05257B0D-09E7-4C48-A9FA-AA646EEA20BD.jpeg
Yep, I have a glass lid that fits perfectly.

I think I’m going to make a trip to one of my two LFS on Thursday, they have a few Blue Star Leopard wrasse coming out of QT, and I’m pretty sure they still have an Exquisite Fairy wrasse as well.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 ocellaris clownfish
Bicolor blenny
Melanurus wrasse
Copperband butterfly
3 springeri damsels
Flame angel

Blue star leopard wrasse
Biota yellow tang
One-spot foxface

I’d say the flasher/fairy wrasse and the foxface

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whichever you like best! Personally I am a fan of pintail fairy wrasses
Oh, I know. Just looking for which ones are people's favorites!

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few anthias or healthy chromis. Bengai cardnals. Jawfish. Flame hawk. Stupid aquacultured oscellaris clowns will host a return nozzle--see them all the time. Oops you have them alreafy. Herd of dart fish

Just some ideas.

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few anthias or healthy chromis. Bengai cardnals. Jawfish. Flame hawk. Stupid aquacultured oscellaris clowns will host a return nozzle--see them all the time. Herd of dart fish

Just some ideas.
Thanks for the ideas! I already have a group of 3 springeri damsels, so I'll probably stay away from the chromis - pretty similar in shape and I'd rather something unique.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ideas! I already have a group of 3 springeri damsels, so I'll probably stay away from the chromis - pretty similar in shape and I'd rather something unique.
I think some small fish shoaling is always a good plan. The the jaw fish and flame hawk have serious personality.

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a pink-streaked wrasse or mystery wrasse? Anyone have any thoughts on either of them?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I have a glass lid that fits perfectly.

I think I’m going to make a trip to one of my two LFS on Thursday, they have a few Blue Star Leopard wrasse coming out of QT, and I’m pretty sure they still have an Exquisite Fairy wrasse as well.
Wrasses in the wild tend to be found around seagrass/shallow areas so that is a good idea, as for my personal favourite fairy wrasses:
- Lubbocki Fairy
- Naoko’s Fairy
- Pintail Fairy
- Johnson’s Fairy
Wrasses are cool. Mine hide a lot. Except the 6 line, which i actually like. But they can be a bully to a devil reincarnated. Mine has been good though.
the only reason a wrasse would hide a lot is if they’re being bullied. A wrasse is usually out all the time unless it’s a Cryptic Pink Streak (Pseudocheilinops ataenia).

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses in the wild tend to be found around seagrass/shallow areas so that is a good idea, as for my personal favourite fairy wrasses:
- Lubbocki Fairy
- Naoko’s Fairy
- Pintail Fairy
- Johnson’s Fairy

the only reason a wrasse would hide a lot is if they’re being bullied. A wrasse is usually out all the time unless it’s a Cryptic Pink Streak (Pseudocheilinops ataenia).
Some of mine bury in the sand and then come out. There is no bullying i see, but i guess it could be happening when i am not watching. Generally, my tank just has lots caves and flow is high. They hunt in the rocks.

Back