Finalizing Stocking Plans for 120 Gallon FOWLR

WisersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been in the planning stages for months, lurking here, and gathering equipment for my 120 gallon build. Finally got everything together and started cycling the tank about a week ago. No livestock in the tank yet as I don’t want to rush anything (have before and learned from my mistakes) but wanting to finalize my stocking list now that I’m heading in the direction of starting to add fish. Don’t plan to add anything for a couple more weeks, but still want to iron out my stocking list. My current “wishlist” of fish far exceeds my tank (would’ve gone bigger but couldn’t due to space constraints) and could use some help getting it narrowed down to a reasonable number of fish. Currently planning to go FOWLR to open up a few different options.

The list I’ve got together currently again, far exceeds my tank and I have no intentions of adding even half these fish.

It’s somewhat broken down into groups with the order listed corresponding to my desire to have them for the most part, not order of addition or anything like that.

Wrasses -
  1. Radiant Wrasse
  2. Yellow Coris Wrasse
  3. Black Leopard Wrasse
  4. Redtail Tamarin Wrasse
  5. Brunneus Fairy Wrasse
  6. Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse
Tangs
  1. Scopas Tang
  2. White Tail Bristletooth Tang
  3. Chocolate Tang
  4. Flame Fin Tomini Tang
  5. Yellow Tang
Angelfish
  1. Flagfin Angelfish
  2. Multibar Angelfish
  3. Flame Angelfish
  4. Lamarcks Angelfish
  5. Watanabei Angelfish
  6. Golden Angelfish
  7. Potters Angelfish
  8. Red Stripe Angelfish
Miscellaneous -
  1. Clownfish Pair
  2. Midas Blenny
  3. Magnificent Foxface
  4. Blue Throat Triggerfish
  5. Pyramid Butterflyfish Pair

Mostly looking for opinions on what stocking would likely be the most successful, what others think would work best for a 120, and possible other recommendations of fish that would work well in the system and with some of the fish I’ve listed off.

Appreciate any and all feedback, and thanks.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you don’t plan to upgrade and this is your FOWLR moving forward I would say go with one of the bristletooth tangs, possibly two Pygmy angels if introduced at the same time, a clownfish pair is fine as well as a Midas blenny, maybe a pyramid butterfly?? Not sure how big they get? As far as the wrasses I’m not familiar with all them I would say look for one that stays on the smaller side because they’re all pretty active! Some of those other options just simply won’t thrive in a 4 foot tank IMO. Best of luck with the new set up!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

All of the wrasses you have listed (with the exception of the redtail tamarin because it's no longer available in the hobby) will co-exist and do fine in a 120g. Just make sure you have a lid to keep the wrasses from jumping out and a sand bed for the wrasses that bury.

Now you just have to narrow down your other fish choices :)

OP
OP
W

WisersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you don’t plan to upgrade and this is your FOWLR moving forward I would say go with one of the bristletooth tangs, possibly two Pygmy angels if introduced at the same time, a clownfish pair is fine as well as a Midas blenny, maybe a pyramid butterfly?? Not sure how big they get? As far as the wrasses I’m not familiar with all them I would say look for one that stays on the smaller side because they’re all pretty active! Some of those other options just simply won’t thrive in a 4 foot tank IMO. Best of luck with the new set up!
Thanks, definitely excited it’s finally up and running and looking forward to starting adding fish. Thinking the two Pygmy angels over a large angel is a probably the best way to go. Also appreciate the input on the Bristletooth tang over another genus.

OP
OP
W

WisersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

All of the wrasses you have listed (with the exception of the redtail tamarin because it's no longer available in the hobby) will co-exist and do fine in a 120g. Just make sure you have a lid to keep the wrasses from jumping out and a sand bed for the wrasses that bury.

Now you just have to narrow down your other fish choices :)
Thanks for the input, had no clue the red tail tamarin were no longer available in the hobby. Are other tamarins such as yellow or black tail also no longer available? Went into the build knowing I wanted some wrasses so already have a pretty solid lid and about 1 1/2- 2” sand bed.

Last edited:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, had no clue the red tail tamarin were no longer available in the hobby. Are other tamarins such as yellow or black tail also no longer available? Went into the build knowing I wanted some wrasses so already have a pretty solid lid and about 1 1/2- 2” sand bed.
I always mention the lid and sand bed because you'd be surprised how many people don't plan for those :)

Yellowtail is readily available right now. Lineatus I haven't seen for a while, but it's still obtainable.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 35 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back