Finally able to get back into the hobby!

mook1178

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 27, 2023
Messages
535
Reaction score
600
Location
Lincoln
What state or country do you live in
Nebraska
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there fellow reefers!

I had a 36g bowfront with a 10 g sump for about 5 years. Then I moved from GA to DE and did not move the tank. That was in 2015.

I just bought a 75 g reef ready display, stand, and 40 g sump from FB. Going to take it very slow. I have about $100/month at the moment to spend on the hobby. So next month is plumbing and a return pump.

The tech seems new, but the science is not. I did frequent water changes on my tank before that kept my parameters in check. I think this setup will be too big for water changes every other week. Going to have to get into dosing and such this time around.

I am looking at the Orlushy DC5000 for the return pump. Any advice for or against that pump?
 
Welcome back! The pump you mentioned looks like a phenomenal budget option for a DC return pump. I still think most experienced reefers will agree that regular water changes are still king when it comes to keeping things in check; 10% weekly should only take you 20 mins or so. I do the same with both of my ~90 gallon systems.
 
Hello & Welcome back
IMG_8890.jpeg
 
Welcome back! The pump you mentioned looks like a phenomenal budget option for a DC return pump. I still think most experienced reefers will agree that regular water changes are still king when it comes to keeping things in check; 10% weekly should only take you 20 mins or so. I do the same with both of my ~90 gallon system

I guess realistically that's only about 10-15 gallons a week. That shouldn't be too bad really. I will definitely start this way for sure.

Thanks everyone, I'm excited to get started again!
 
Hey there fellow reefers!

I had a 36g bowfront with a 10 g sump for about 5 years. Then I moved from GA to DE and did not move the tank. That was in 2015.

I just bought a 75 g reef ready display, stand, and 40 g sump from FB. Going to take it very slow. I have about $100/month at the moment to spend on the hobby. So next month is plumbing and a return pump.

The tech seems new, but the science is not. I did frequent water changes on my tank before that kept my parameters in check. I think this setup will be too big for water changes every other week. Going to have to get into dosing and such this time around.

I am looking at the Orlushy DC5000 for the return pump. Any advice for or against that pump?
Welcome back! How exciting!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new