Finally able to get back into the hobby!

mook1178

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there fellow reefers!

I had a 36g bowfront with a 10 g sump for about 5 years. Then I moved from GA to DE and did not move the tank. That was in 2015.

I just bought a 75 g reef ready display, stand, and 40 g sump from FB. Going to take it very slow. I have about $100/month at the moment to spend on the hobby. So next month is plumbing and a return pump.

The tech seems new, but the science is not. I did frequent water changes on my tank before that kept my parameters in check. I think this setup will be too big for water changes every other week. Going to have to get into dosing and such this time around.

I am looking at the Orlushy DC5000 for the return pump. Any advice for or against that pump?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! The pump you mentioned looks like a phenomenal budget option for a DC return pump. I still think most experienced reefers will agree that regular water changes are still king when it comes to keeping things in check; 10% weekly should only take you 20 mins or so. I do the same with both of my ~90 gallon systems.

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello & Welcome back
IMG_8890.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
M

mook1178

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! The pump you mentioned looks like a phenomenal budget option for a DC return pump. I still think most experienced reefers will agree that regular water changes are still king when it comes to keeping things in check; 10% weekly should only take you 20 mins or so. I do the same with both of my ~90 gallon system

I guess realistically that's only about 10-15 gallons a week. That shouldn't be too bad really. I will definitely start this way for sure.

Thanks everyone, I'm excited to get started again!

NoAhoysLeft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there fellow reefers!

I had a 36g bowfront with a 10 g sump for about 5 years. Then I moved from GA to DE and did not move the tank. That was in 2015.

I just bought a 75 g reef ready display, stand, and 40 g sump from FB. Going to take it very slow. I have about $100/month at the moment to spend on the hobby. So next month is plumbing and a return pump.

The tech seems new, but the science is not. I did frequent water changes on my tank before that kept my parameters in check. I think this setup will be too big for water changes every other week. Going to have to get into dosing and such this time around.

I am looking at the Orlushy DC5000 for the return pump. Any advice for or against that pump?
Welcome back! How exciting!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back