Finally doing a build thread... (65g)

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally doing a build thread!! I'm kinda excited!!
I'm doing a 65g display, with a 10 or a 20 sump. I'm using NooPsyche K7 lights and a Finnex 300w titanium heater. I'm also using a bubble Magnus bm curve 5 protein skimmer. I need suggestions for a return pump for a 65 display and a 20-long sump. I also need a suggestion for an ATO and something to get some water movement. Do I need to dose trace elements for softies and maybe some easy LPS like Trachys or hammers? I plan to keep these fish:
1 pair of occelaris clowns
1 coral beauty angelfish
1 neon goby
1 yellow-lined goby
1 firefish
1 orchid dottyback
Inverts I plan to keep (including coral) :
Zoanthids
GSP
Duncans
easy LPS
35 Snails
25 hermit crabs
Coral banded shrimp
(I want to do 1 other Invert but can't think of any, pls suggest one)

Does this sound good for a 65 gallon?
If one of the fish/inverts doesn't work for my tank Pls suggest a replacement.

Thanks already

Last edited:

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this has to be the only thread in the history of R2R that never got a response
Lol. Seriously I don’t see an issue with the fish load. Compatibility I can not confirm but I think you’ll be fine. I know I have a heavier fish load in my 65 gallon with no issues.

as for inverts, I love my serpent star and conch snail. My pin cushion urchin can be a pain at rare times but it’s cool too.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this has to be the only thread in the history of R2R that never got a response
Just the time of day. What kind of 65? I would cut about 2/3 of that cleanup crew. Specially in a new tank. Any return pump in the 900 to 1100 gallon range will work. I have a Sicce 5.0 for my 65. Assuming it’s a 36 inch tank, you can fit a 20 gallon high under the cabinet no problem. I’ve never used Noopsyche lights. I have AI’s over mine and it’s a mixed tank. The dottyback might be too aggressive if you want to keep passive fish like fire and butterfly fish. You need some powerheads, I would suggest Nero 5 or equivalent. Hope that helps
6DDBA9B6-005A-4C5D-BF8B-5E8FF45A17AC.jpeg

OP
OP
death-by-reef

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the time of day. What kind of 65? I would cut about 2/3 of that cleanup crew. Specially in a new tank. Any return pump in the 900 to 1100 gallon range will work. I have a Sicce 5.0 for my 65. Assuming it’s a 36 inch tank, you can fit a 20 gallon high under the cabinet no problem. I’ve never used Noopsyche lights. I have AI’s over mine and it’s a mixed tank. The dottyback might be too aggressive if you want to keep passive fish like fire and butterfly fish. You need some powerheads, I would suggest Nero 5 or equivalent. Hope that helps
6DDBA9B6-005A-4C5D-BF8B-5E8FF45A17AC.jpeg
beautiful tank btw

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my cleanup crew is way smaller also, although I do have a two spot tang, small purple tang and a fox face lo in the tank that are always picking rocks and glass.
I might have less than 10 hermits, less than 10 nassiris snails, 4 turbos, and a handful of cerith(sp?) snails

EE705968-0C5C-4FE4-8EF6-BF158F0B9F4C.jpeg

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok
you got a beautiful tank2
my mom sorta opposed to me getting a reef, but if I showed that pic, I think she might change her mind
Mine has been running for just shy of two years. I’ve had my share of troubles though so be prepared for your own. I highly recommend a quarantine program for your fish too. I started off and lost a few to a fast velvet disease. The tank sat fallow for 90 days and I started doing Humblefish’s h202 hybrid tank transfer qt. It’s a pain but easier for me because I was not comfortable using copper and etc. good luck!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally doing a build thread!! I'm kinda excited!!
I'm doing a 65g display, with a 10 or a 20 sump. I'm using NooPsyche K7 lights and a Finnex 300w titanium heater. I'm also using a bubble Magnus bm curve 5 protein skimmer. I need suggestions for a return pump for a 65 display and a 20-long sump. I also need a suggestion for an ATO and something to get some water movement. Do I need to dose trace elements for softies and maybe some easy LPS like Trachys or hammers? I plan to keep these fish:
1 pair of occelaris clowns
1 coral beauty angelfish
1 neon goby
1 yellow-lined goby
1 firefish
1 orchid dottyback
Inverts I plan to keep (including coral) :
Zoanthids
GSP
Duncans
easy LPS
35 Snails
25 hermit crabs
Coral banded shrimp
(I want to do 1 other Invert but can't think of any, pls suggest one)

Does this sound good for a 65 gallon?
If one of the fish/inverts doesn't work for my tank Pls suggest a replacement.

Thanks already

The fish load looks fine.. you could probably add a few more to the list.

Orchid Dottyback, I would suggest a magenta instead. VERY similar color, vastly different temperament. Dottybacks often get quite aggressive. My magenta was a model citizen till he disappeared a few weeks ago.

Coral banded shrimp will hunt down your crabs and snails. I'd go with a skunk cleaner or another shrimp.

Finally, the snail load will be fine, but I would advise at most 5-10 crabs.

Edit.. a couple sand sifting starfish would be good additions to your CUC.

OP
OP
death-by-reef

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill do then 5 crabs, a skunk shrimp and 10 snails, and a serpent star.
magenta dottyback then?
are there any 4-5 inch fish that I could also add?
like maybe a nox angel or something?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a coral banded shrimp myself... they are, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful shrimp available. Unfortunately, they are very aggressive and just not suitable for most systems.

As for a 4-5 inch fish, that is a bit of a loaded question. Are you thinking to get a fish that is 4-5 inches now? Or, are you thinking to get a juvenile fish that will grow to 4-5 inches? I would advise the latter. I understand the desire to have a showpiece system from day 1, but there is also a huge satisfaction gained from growing out a system that started as babies into a full grown system.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a coral banded shrimp myself... they are, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful shrimp available. Unfortunately, they are very aggressive and just not suitable for most systems.

As for a 4-5 inch fish, that is a bit of a loaded question. Are you thinking to get a fish that is 4-5 inches now? Or, are you thinking to get a juvenile fish that will grow to 4-5 inches? I would advise the latter. I understand the desire to have a showpiece system from day 1, but there is also a huge satisfaction gained from growing out a system that started as babies into a full grown system.
I do agree with the fish statement. Above, I posted about my 2 tangs and a fox face. They have been in my tank for a little over a year now but I am working on a 180 gallon that they will be moving into. My purple tang was the size of aout 1.5” - 2” when I got it, but a few months later and it is probably 4” now. They do grow faster than you might think.

Back