Finally got a Squamosa clam! Grow out thread

DenverSaltyFarm

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 16, 2018
Messages
1,006
Reaction score
3,144
Location
Denver
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After all these years finally pulled the trigger on a blue dot Squamosa clam from Biota. Very happy with the health and shipping. Wanted to start a thread to show the growth as it happens. It’s currently about 1.5” but has a massive tank to grow into

IMG_0079.jpeg


IMG_0082.jpeg
 
Nice, blue squammies are cool.
let me set my alarm and check this out in a year! By then your tank will have filled in more and that squammie will be what, 2x 3x the size?! and with more clam buddies! ;)
 
I'm shopping @PacificEastAquaculture right now looking at them. I have a maxima and a derasa that are doing well. I need to go read a little more on their specific care before I pull the trigger.
Clams pretty much require the same care, the only thing that’s different is lighting (intensity) and placement (sand/solid surface,etc). Crocea, maxima and noae like a solid surface to attach to, the others use their weight to keep them in place (as they get bigger). But do read as much as you can, that is something I tell everyone.
 
Clams pretty much require the same care, the only thing that’s different is lighting (intensity) and placement (sand/solid surface,etc). Crocea, maxima and noae like a solid surface to attach to, the others use their weight to keep them in place (as they get bigger). But do read as much as you can, that is something I tell everyone.
Thanks. I only have one section of sand and am thinking if I get a squamosa I would place it in the sand near where the red mushroom is and moving the shroom. I'm getting 300 par down on the derasa and still have some lighting in reserve. The maxima on the rocks is getting 350 - 400.
Par meter is a must have if someone wants to keep clams IMO. I could never keep a clam untill I got one then I knew why, I was light starving the poor things.
20231127_142721.jpg
 
I'm shopping @PacificEastAquaculture right now looking at them. I have a maxima and a derasa that are doing well. I need to go read a little more on their specific care before I pull the trigger.
Awesome! From what I could research the squamosa is a little more forgiving than other clams with lighting. Biota has these listed as blue dot, but to me it looks like the high end all blue squamosas that other sites sell for a lot more $

Keep us posted if you get one
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new