Finally I'm back

adamg77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I am finally back in the hobby! What started with leak testing a 10 gallon aquarium in the backyard which led to the wife approving a freshwater planted tank(went out and got a 20 gallon:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:). I have been scouring Facebook marketplace for about 6 months trying to get a tank that would meet my needs ideally something over 90 gallons. Finally I was the first one in line! I was able to snag a Planet Aquarium 140 gallon 48"x24"x29" that had been used for a freshwater tank with a DIY wet dry big canister filter and an LED light. Picked it all up for a whooping $500!
Tank cleaned.jpg
My plan is for a mixed reef heavy on the inverts as my children love watching crabs and shrimpys with as little maintenance and cost as possible. My current plan is to handle the sump (which I will DIY using a 27 gallon storage tub) and plumbing (Herbie overflow) and then get the sand and rockwork set out so I can begin the cycling process. I also plan on utilizing a gravity fed ATO in my attic:face-with-open-mouth::eek: by placing a 27 gallon storage container with a lid connected to the RODI system with a float valve in the container but only turning this on manually. I then plan to create a drip tray using a 38 gallon container in case of a problem that would then drain outside as a failsafe. This would allow me to put the gravity fed ATO in the attic (supported well of course) and then connect into the sump via a float valve. I also have been looking into a WiFi controlled 1/4" solenoid valve like this one to be able to shut it off remotely.

While I would like an Apex I don't believe it is in the budget. I have been doing quite a bit of research and my plan for dosing to maintain the major and minor is Tropic Marin All for reef on a dosing pump. I also plan to create as much of an ecosystem as possible utilizing macroalgae in the display and in the fuge area. My goal is to create a sustainable system that relies very little on myself aside from feedings. I am very interested in culturing phyto and then dosing into the aquarium.

I also plan on using my 3D printer when possible

My questions to the community:
Does anyone have reference for dosing phytoplankton?
Does anyone have any experience with using Tropc Marin All for reef?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice find on the tank! I personally would think twice on the tub for sump, it doesn't look like the type meant to hold water long term so I'd worry about longevity. You'd be better off getting a cheap 40 breeder fish tank, in my humble opinion.

OP
OP
A

adamg77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice find on the tank! I personally would think twice on the tub for sump, it doesn't look like the type meant to hold water long term so I'd worry about longevity. You'd be better off getting a cheap 40 breeder fish tank, in my humble opinion.
Thanks for the advice the one pictured is not the one I plan on going with I was just trying to figure out dimensions of an ATO but that was before I decided to go with the gravity fed system. I might just do a 40 gallon breeder if it fits for easier baffle design.

OP
OP
A

adamg77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I scored big! A fellow hobbyist was selling his system and I was able to scavenge his system. He was taking down the exact same tank and was asking a fair price for the sump, sand, plumbing, and a few Hanna test kits.

I also picked up a 6x48” ATI nondimmable light fixture off marketplace for $50.

Still very excited about the tank! I do need to hang the fixture and figure out bulb composition.

I need to start working on the aquascape as that is now the limiting factor. I also have to setup the gravity fed ATO but that won’t be too bad.

Has anyone ever just dripped their ATO into their tank slowly?

IMG_8614.jpeg image.jpg

Last edited:

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a steal for the ATI fixture. I have the 60” 6 bulb. Nice tank

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going for the more white look or blue? You could run 4x aqua blue special and 2x coral plus for a more white look. Or 4x blue plus and 2x coral plus for a more blue look

OP
OP
A

adamg77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I think I prefer a slightly more blue than white but still white. I need to do some more research on actinic bulbs. It appears they potentially hit a wavelength that is beneficial?

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No expert so take this information lightly but i dont believe you have to have actinic bulbs for good coral growth

OP
OP
A

adamg77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got some parts ordered for the ATO should be in soon. Picking up some dry Pukani this week to start on the scape. Utilizing marketplace heavily and I’m coming in below budget. Dry fit the plumbing today gunna glue it in tomorrow and pick up a skimmer.

Also got some cool pictures of a freshwater mussel in my freshwater tank.

IMG_8663.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8673.mov
    35.2 MB

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following! This is my kind of build!

I dose phyto in my tank everyday. Used to do it at night but I do it when I feed now bc I have some corals that benefit on it more. There's a couple of good sellers on here that you can buy from in the beginning until you get your culture going. It isn't too hard to culture but you have to keep everything very clean. I Mean very clean or you will lose your cultures. But there's sections on here to learn how to do it as well. I have a trusted person on here if you want a name that will ship to your door.

Also I feel like dosing the phyto helps to keep other algae like things from growing as much in my tank.

All for reef also works really well. I bought a single doser and it pumps mine in everyday.

I recently moved and had to break down and set up a essentially a new tank from my old one so for now I'm hand dosing but I love all for reef. It works really well for mixed reefs.

Good luck!

OP
OP
A

adamg77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following! This is my kind of build!

I dose phyto in my tank everyday. Used to do it at night but I do it when I feed now bc I have some corals that benefit on it more. There's a couple of good sellers on here that you can buy from in the beginning until you get your culture going. It isn't too hard to culture but you have to keep everything very clean. I Mean very clean or you will lose your cultures. But there's sections on here to learn how to do it as well. I have a trusted person on here if you want a name that will ship to your door.

Also I feel like dosing the phyto helps to keep other algae like things from growing as much in my tank.

All for reef also works really well. I bought a single doser and it pumps mine in everyday.

I recently moved and had to break down and set up a essentially a new tank from my old one so for now I'm hand dosing but I love all for reef. It works really well for mixed reefs.

Good luck!
Thank you for your input! I’m very excited to be back in the hobby! From the sounds of it all for reef should work well for my demands.

It does seem that plankton is pretty crucial to life so I definitely plan on keeping it flowing in the tank

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your input! I’m very excited to be back in the hobby! From the sounds of it all for reef should work well for my demands.

It does seem that plankton is pretty crucial to life so I definitely plan on keeping it flowing in the tank
I think you'll like all for reef.

I would start dosing phyto early on and letting your tank get used to it. You can dose more and more as your tank gets used to it. Since I did a reset on my tank moving it I have a 29gallon and I have got it to where I essentially dose 1.5oz a day but it will go up to probably 3oz. Which right now costs about $20 a month if I could convince my family to let me have some space to set up my own cultures I probably would but unless I set it up under the house I'm not sure where I would have space for it.

OP
OP
A

adamg77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some pukani from marketplace and got the plumbing glued and dried. Woke up around 3am and couldn’t go back to sleep I was so excited lol :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Need to pick up some mortar and super glue so I can start making things more solid and actually add height. I have a decent idea of what I’m looking for but thankfully I have time on my side despite wanting to start the cycle.

I also need to add some strip lights that I had laying around in the garage to the stand area.

What is everyone using as a liner for the stand?

Attachments

• IMG_8748.jpeg
    IMG_8748.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_8746.jpeg
    IMG_8746.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8747.jpeg
    IMG_8747.jpeg
    321.3 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
A

adamg77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking at controllers and have been seeing the usage of raspberry pi’s. Stumbled on a controller called robo tank does anyone use this? How difficult is it to setup for a guy who doesn’t mess with small components? The cost is definitely doable and it even seems like savings compared to purchasing totally separate parts like dosing pumps

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back