Finally Posting my 475 Build Thread

tswanso3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

My name is TJ and I bought this 120"x30"x30" 475 gallon acrylic Tenecor aquarium last October and sat on it until just recently. Through a friend and local reef club in Dayton, Ohio, I was able to find this gem. I felt bad for the previous owner because it was obvious he did not want to get rid of it. His dream tank ultimately became mine. I bought the tank, stand, sump, skimmer, return pump, and 2 mp60s. The tank is almost filled with water and I will start the cycling process soon.

10_3_15_Tank_Pickup.jpg
Picking the Tank up, my dad photo bombed the picture

10_3_15_Tank_Home.jpg
Threw a get together so I had enough people to help get it in the house.

5_16_16_Stand_Clean_Up.jpg
Pic of the stand after I got it cleaned up and repainted.

5_19_16_Black_Stand.jpg
Another pic of the stand in place.

5_22_16_Tank_Stand.jpg
Tank on the stand.

5_29_16_Stand_Bottom_Panels.jpg
Put some plywood in the bottom of the stand.

6_4_16_Tank_Plumbed.jpg
Tank all plumbed.

6_7_16_Water_Filling.jpg
Slowly filling from my RO unit.

OP
OP
tswanso3

tswanso3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as equipment goes. So far I have the Ecotech Vectra L1 for my return pump and I went with the Reef Octopus Regal 300INT skimmer. For the lighting, I plan on doing 2 four foot ATI 8 bulb Powermodules.

5_20_16_Reef_Octopus_Regal.jpg
Always have thought the Reef Octopus skimmers were the best bang for the buck.

8_18_15_Generac_Generator.jpg
A must have for long term success with corals.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As far as equipment goes. So far I have the Ecotech Vectra L1 for my return pump and I went with the Reef Octopus Regal 300INT skimmer. For the lighting, I plan on doing 2 four foot ATI 8 bulb Powermodules.

5_20_16_Reef_Octopus_Regal.jpg
Always have thought the Reef Octopus skimmers were the best bang for the buck.

8_18_15_Generac_Generator.jpg
A must have for long term success with corals.

Loving this build already!

May I ask what the generator cost and how much to install? Also what will it be able to power if things go south?

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving this build already!

May I ask what the generator cost and how much to install? Also what will it be able to power if things go south?

Not OP but ive done a lot of research on those generac units. They come in all sizes to suit your needs 8kw up tp 40+kw.
Average home can be powered off a 12-16kw unit, running most your home including ac/heat.
The smaller units come with an 8-12 circuit panel, the big ones come with main disconect to power your whole panel in case of a power outage.

Their main disadvantage ive seen is they suck down propane. The 12kw unit drinks 2 gallons of propane an hour at full load. Would need a 350g tank to run it for a week. Thats a large expense to get a tank installed and filled.

The nice part is, its fully automated. Soon as you lose power it starts and transfers power to your panel. And once a week it starts and runs for a few minutes to make sure its ready to go in case of an outtage.
General cost ive seen is $2500 for a new 12kw unit, plus install, plus propane tank (or they run on ng if you already have ng ran to your home)

nwayne567

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I thought my 12 gallon nano was sweet:( hahah... following this build, keep us posted looks insane!!!! Best of luck

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not OP but ive done a lot of research on those generac units. They come in all sizes to suit your needs 8kw up tp 40+kw.
Average home can be powered off a 12-16kw unit, running most your home including ac/heat.
The smaller units come with an 8-12 circuit panel, the big ones come with main disconect to power your whole panel in case of a power outage.

Their main disadvantage ive seen is they suck down propane. The 12kw unit drinks 2 gallons of propane an hour at full load. Would need a 350g tank to run it for a week. Thats a large expense to get a tank installed and filled.

The nice part is, its fully automated. Soon as you lose power it starts and transfers power to your panel. And once a week it starts and runs for a few minutes to make sure its ready to go in case of an outtage.
General cost ive seen is $2500 for a new 12kw unit, plus install, plus propane tank (or they run on ng if you already have ng ran to your home)

Hmm good info! I already have a 300g tank.... ;)

OP
OP
tswanso3

tswanso3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree

I live close to Chicago so I'm guessing my prices are a little bit higher on the generator. I have always had gasoline generators and when we moved into this house, I knew that we would be staying awhile so I wanted to go with a nice automatic generator. I went with an electrical company that only did generator installs. They sold every brand and told me they would install whatever I wanted, but after seeing the fact sheet and the prices Generac was the only way to go. This unit can EASILY handle the ENTIRE house and some. It is the 22kW unit which was only a few hundred dollars more to buy and install compared to the smaller 17 and 20kW units (based on the price sheet the company I went with gave me). I could have gotten away with a 17kW unit on our house because we have a lot of gas appliances, but I figured it was worth the extra $500 for a bigger unit that won't have to work as hard to power everything. The unit can run on propane, but I have natural gas at the house so it is set up to run on natural gas. I think after all the permits, getting the gas company to put a bigger meter in, and cost to buy/install the unit... I think it was about $7500 out the door... It was a big purchase but very worth the peace of mind... Now the funny thing is that since I've had it installed, the power has not gone out once.

Last edited:

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or it has, and you just never noticed because the generator powered everything :D:p

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a big tank, I like how you liked the sump tanks

OP
OP
tswanso3

tswanso3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nitrodude

I would say it's possible but the generator will wait around 10 to 15 seconds to turn on after a power failure (it waits to see if the main power comes back on). I have my return pump on a battery backup so it will never turn off while waiting for the generator to take over, but my apex powers off and then sends me an email when the power comes back on. The only time I've seen this happen is when testing everything from time to time. I have the water circulating through the tank now and waiting for the heater to warm it up. Hopefully here in the next couple weeks I can go pick out some nice big pieces of dry rock and start to aquascape.... going to take a BUNCH of rock to fill this thing...

Clarksski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a unusual 6pm to 6 am PG&E 12 hour power outage I told hubby I want this!! I didn't sleep a wink and was boiling water and filling bottles to float in my tank.. I had a battery operated el cheapo air pump running the entire night.. Managed to keep temp about 76 degrees thru night and didn't lose anything...
image.jpg

OP
OP
tswanso3

tswanso3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't posted in awhile, but new pics will be coming soon. The tank is cycled and I have a maculiceps tang living in the tank. I have about 300 to 400 lbs of dry rock that will be going in soon (next few days). I will post a pic once the initial aquascape is done... I have a feeling I will need some more rock!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back