OP
J_anderson_75

J_anderson_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that looks good! I really dig the height! Make sure those structures are firmly planted!
Thank you @HD_Reefer. I'm still not sure if I like it or not. I think once I'm able to get some corals in there it will look good. When I picked out the Liferock from my LFS, I made sure to pick the tower and the tree with the largest base rock for added stability. I've never used this stuff before but it's pretty easy to use and doesn't require stacking and gluing all those loose live rocks. That's how I was able to get this height. The only thing I had to loosely stack were the arches and they are set pretty good.

Next, I'll add a couple MP40's. Then after the cycle I'll add a Skimmer. So far though it's coming along nicely.

OP
OP
J_anderson_75

J_anderson_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First test for ammonia. So far it's had three doses of Stability and a good rinse of my EVO's dirty filter sponge. I have a ways to go. ;Nailbiting

20210228_074159.jpg

OP
OP
J_anderson_75

J_anderson_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much of an update...still plugging along. As I continue to get this all dialed in, I'm just curious what everyone keeps their tank at? I keep my EVO at 76 degrees and salinity at 1.024. Right now this tank is at 75.8 degrees and salinity is 1.025. Should I make any adjustments now or run it where it's at?

As always...appreciate all the feedback!

20210302_064824.jpg

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you! i noticed your stand comes with the leveling feet. On red Sea's website it shows the reefer 350 isnt plywood and doesn't have the adjustable feet. did you order it that way or did they update the cabinet??

OP
OP
J_anderson_75

J_anderson_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you! i noticed your stand comes with the leveling feet. On red Sea's website it shows the reefer 350 isnt plywood and doesn't have the adjustable feet. did you order it that way or did they update the cabinet??

I did not order it that way. I was told they updated their stand and the newer ones were black inside, which I don't really care for. Wish it was white inside. They must have switched to plywood construction and added the adjustable feet, too. In my opinion, the adjustable feet and plywood construction are worth the trade off.

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not order it that way. I was told they updated their stand and the newer ones were black inside, which I don't really care for. Wish it was white inside. They must have switched to plywood construction and added the adjustable feet, too. In my opinion, the adjustable feet and plywood construction are worth the trade off.
I'm inches away from ordering the reefer 350 but it was killing me not having the plywood and leveling feet. your build made me question. i know the xl425 has the plywood and leveling feet but its deeper and taller which I don't want.

how do you like it so far? why choose red sea over other offerings? (waterbox, innovative marine etc)

OP
OP
J_anderson_75

J_anderson_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm inches away from ordering the reefer 350 but it was killing me not having the plywood and leveling feet. your build made me question. i know the xl425 has the plywood and leveling feet but its deeper and taller which I don't want.

how do you like it so far? why choose red sea over other offerings? (waterbox, innovative marine etc)
@Neffly4u I love it so far. I went with the RS350 after spending lots of time in my LFS, who is an authorized distributer for Red Sea as well as Waterbox, and asking a lot of questions. Looking at both the Waterbox and Red Sea, I just liked the Red Sea better. They both looked like quality units, but the Red Sea has always been at the top of my list. Plus, my LFS said the Red Sea rep is very responsive and the company has always been great at backing everything they sell out of the store. I have zero regrets or complaints so far.

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Neffly4u I love it so far. I went with the RS350 after spending lots of time in my LFS, who is an authorized distributer for Red Sea as well as Waterbox, and asking a lot of questions. Looking at both the Waterbox and Red Sea, I just liked the Red Sea better. They both looked like quality units, but the Red Sea has always been at the top of my list. Plus, my LFS said the Red Sea rep is very responsive and the company has always been great at backing everything they sell out of the store. I have zero regrets or complaints so far.
Good to hear! I definitely like he sump better than the waterbox but good to hear someone agreeing with my decision. You getting close to adding live stock? I used fritz turbostart 900 on my tank and it was a game changer for me.

OP
OP
J_anderson_75

J_anderson_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear! I definitely like he sump better than the waterbox but good to hear someone agreeing with my decision. You getting close to adding live stock? I used fritz turbostart 900 on my tank and it was a game changer for me.

Yes. I added Turbostart as well. I started with a week of daily dosing of Seachem Stability followed by the Turbostart the following week. I added 2 clowns a little over a week ago and they are doing great. 2 days ago I added a small 6 line Wrasse, small Royal Gramma, 6 red leg hermits and 2 Nassarius snails. Everything seems to be doing great so far, although my little Gramma has been hiding in the rocks the whole time.

A week ago I added 2 MP40's, one on each end. I'm still trying to figure out how much flow I need but for now I have them set at 35 percent, shutting down to 20 percent overnight. Yesterday I added the Red Sea RSK-300 Skimmer and am letting it run wide open for now. Should be able to start adjusting it tonight or in the next few days.

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I added Turbostart as well. I started with a week of daily dosing of Seachem Stability followed by the Turbostart the following week. I added 2 clowns a little over a week ago and they are doing great. 2 days ago I added a small 6 line Wrasse, small Royal Gramma, 6 red leg hermits and 2 Nassarius snails. Everything seems to be doing great so far, although my little Gramma has been hiding in the rocks the whole time.

A week ago I added 2 MP40's, one on each end. I'm still trying to figure out how much flow I need but for now I have them set at 35 percent, shutting down to 20 percent overnight. Yesterday I added the Red Sea RSK-300 Skimmer and am letting it run wide open for now. Should be able to start adjusting it tonight or in the next few days.
Sweet! I just added a royal gramma in my tank...just to pretty to resist. How do you like the simplicity 1000 return pump?

OP
OP
J_anderson_75

J_anderson_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! I just added a royal gramma in my tank...just to pretty to resist. How do you like the simplicity 1000 return pump?
Yes, they are cool little fish. I just hope mine loosens up and starts coming out of hiding!! LOL

I like the Simplicity pump. It was recommended by my LFS and seems to work good and is quiet. The owner of the shop I deal with has set up quite a few of the RS 350's in clients homes and have it dialed in pretty good. I tried to follow his process and equipment suggestions and so far it's working good.

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are cool little fish. I just hope mine loosens up and starts coming out of hiding!! LOL

I like the Simplicity pump. It was recommended by my LFS and seems to work good and is quiet. The owner of the shop I deal with has set up quite a few of the RS 350's in clients homes and have it dialed in pretty good. I tried to follow his process and equipment suggestions and so far it's working good.
If you were to choose again would you get the 1000? Or would you go up to the 1600 pump?

OP
OP
J_anderson_75

J_anderson_75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were to choose again would you get the 1000? Or would you go up to the 1600 pump?
I'm not sure. I guess I might consider the 1600. Right now, in order for my pump to keep up, I only have my gate valve open maybe half way. I anticipate being able to open up my gate a little more as my sump and media get better established though. For now, I'm still learning how to adjust all of this stuff though so I'm not sure if the 1600 would be a better option or not. I'm happy with how it's all working so far though.

Neffly4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure. I guess I might consider the 1600. Right now, in order for my pump to keep up, I only have my gate valve open maybe half way. I anticipate being able to open up my gate a little more as my sump and media get better established though. For now, I'm still learning how to adjust all of this stuff though so I'm not sure if the 1600 would be a better option or not. I'm happy with how it's all working so far though.
Do you have your pump set at 10 (100%)? Post some pictures of the fish and rockwork!

Back