Finally saw a different feeding response on certain Zoas

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw..... what I believe..... was a feeding response to certain Zoas when I turned off all flow and let oyster juice slowing trickle down (fallout).

I DID NOT squirt juice on the Zoas directly but created a cloud of juice a few inches above the Zoas colony and let the juice trickle down (fallout) with absolutely ZERO flow in the tank. Stagnic water.

I believe with certain Zoas if you directly squirt onto them, they immediately close up as a defensive response and don't feed at all.

So..... what I saw with this sloooooow trick fallout method was certain Zoas turned into a umbrella shape, with skirt/tentacles tucked beneath, and their center disc bulging out in an umbrella shape. Their mouths not only open but their mouths looking like the internal tissue was slightly sticking out (almost like they were sticking a tongue-like tissue slightly out). I've never seen this response and can only come to the conclusion that it's a natural feeding response given the mouths being open looking like it was trying to collect micro particles.

I hope to capture a pic as after trying all diff times I have found that the best time is an hour before your lights turn off and your lights are 100% actinic and very very dim.

Hope me documenting this might help another zoas keeper.

I hope to post pics during next feeding

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of what I think is a properly feeding zoa. Pucker up AudreyII

20180816_215000_crop_604x604.jpg

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back