OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi R2R family, hope everyone is well.

Been a while since I've done anything to the nano so have nothing much to update I'm afraid. Due to silly working hours a d working on the 110g. The tank is running itself so I'm not complaining [emoji4]. So here's a few close up shot of a few corals just so you haven't read this for nothing [emoji23] enjoy. Hopefully new corals coming next week. [emoji847]

The final pic is of the zoa's that made a recovery from zoa pox after being closed for 2 weeks. All happy now though which is good news.
20190410_205204.jpeg
20190410_205131.jpeg
20190410_204910.jpeg
20190410_204714.jpeg

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. So as expected a few new pieces of coral are now here so though some of you might like to see these.

Also bought a fish. Or 2 [emoji85] as you do. Lol. Well the wife wanted a blue fish and I'm not gonna argue when it's wife approved [emoji16] so I went in search and was pretty disappointed in the local options at the moment. So I ended up with a yellow tail blue damsel, and picked up a cleaner wrasse as he wasn't in great condition so I'm trying to save him. Will let you know how he gets on.

That's about all the update I have for now. I'm quickly running out of real estate in this nano so will have to get my s**t together with the 110g ASAP. [emoji2].

1st pic : Sun coral (Tubastrea)
2nd pic: Favia ssp
3rd pic: Elegance coral
20190413_174512.jpeg
20190413_174448.jpeg
20190413_174444.jpeg

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. So as expected a few new pieces of coral are now here so though some of you might like to see these.

Also bought a fish. Or 2 [emoji85] as you do. Lol. Well the wife wanted a blue fish and I'm not gonna argue when it's wife approved [emoji16] so I went in search and was pretty disappointed in the local options at the moment. So I ended up with a yellow tail blue damsel, and picked up a cleaner wrasse as he wasn't in great condition so I'm trying to save him. Will let you know how he gets on.

That's about all the update I have for now. I'm quickly running out of real estate in this nano so will have to get my s**t together with the 110g ASAP. [emoji2].

1st pic : Sun coral (Tubastrea)
2nd pic: Favia ssp
3rd pic: Elegance coral
20190413_174512.jpeg
20190413_174448.jpeg
20190413_174444.jpeg
Hi all sad day I'm afraid. The cleaner wrasse didn't make it [emoji17]. However the Yellowtail Damsel is happy as can be and feeding well. That's the only update I have at the moment,. All new corals are doing well and fully opened as soon as I fed them reef roids lol.

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Well just got home with a new light for the nano and before I could get it on the tank I noticed lots of tiny wite particles in the tank. At first I thought my ALK Doser had gone nuts but upon closer inspection and seeing the fish in a frenzy it turns out my cleaner shrimp decided to have a bunch of babies.

Before I could even think about getting a net the fish took it as a live food buffet [emoji85]. Not sure any would have survived as I don't have a set up for that yet. But was interesting to see for the 10 seconds I had to check them out [emoji23].

Anyway just thought I'd share that with you as I've never had anything give birth in any of my previous tanks. [emoji16]. Quiet a nice surprise since this tank is just over 3 months old. Anyway keep reefing and have fun.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Well just got home with a new light for the nano and before I could get it on the tank I noticed lots of tiny wite particles in the tank. At first I thought my ALK Doser had gone nuts but upon closer inspection and seeing the fish in a frenzy it turns out my cleaner shrimp decided to have a bunch of babies.

Before I could even think about getting a net the fish took it as a live food buffet [emoji85]. Not sure any would have survived as I don't have a set up for that yet. But was interesting to see for the 10 seconds I had to check them out [emoji23].

Anyway just thought I'd share that with you as I've never had anything give birth in any of my previous tanks. [emoji16]. Quiet a nice surprise since this tank is just over 3 months old. Anyway keep reefing and have fun.
I had a peppermint shrimp that gave birth one day. My clown fish was in heaven swimming around plucking each one out of the water column like a person sampling berries off a bush.
Right away I knew anything I did was going to be pointless.

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a peppermint shrimp that gave birth one day. My clown fish was in heaven swimming around plucking each one out of the water column like a person sampling berries off a bush.
Right away I knew anything I did was going to be pointless.
[emoji23]. I know exactly what you mean. I've never seen my fish so excited. It's the first live food they have ever had. Can't buy live where I live unfortunately.

I'd set up another 5g or so just for the shrimps but honestly I've already got 3 tanks going here and another 110g almost complete so I don't think the wife wants to hear about a 5th tank in the living room. [emoji85]. Woukd like to try save them. All one day though.

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all good day to you, OK looking for some help really to identify some activities in my nano [emoji4].

So as you may know I have had this green plate coral that has been doing very very well for about 3 months now, he's always the first to expand and loves the reef foods. He started off about 2" and is now over 4.5" on a daily basis, obviously some of this is water retention. So this morning I was staring at him. Because he looked like he was literally going to burst lol. And sure enough within a min of me watching he kinda did. Well he blew out what I could only discribe as millions of tiny micro bubbles with some white cloudy liquid, I'm talking like millions and millions, enough to make the water cloud for 15 min. Skimmer went a bit nuts to. From what I've read these corals have babies by dying off and leaving a number of tiny ones to reproduce on their skaleton [emoji53]. So I'm a bit at a loss as to the coral things it's doing in my tank. Lol. I'll post the tank params below just in case. But anyone have any ideas what just happened. And hell would be much appreciated [emoji16]. Oh and here's a pic of what it looks like now. Kinda like how I'd expect it to look after giving birth [emoji23]

Temp: 26.2
PH: 8.15
No3: 10
Po4: 0.05
SG: 1.026
ALK: 9.5
Ca: 450
Mg: 1350

Thank you all. Have a good day.
1556778835264.jpeg

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK all quick update, so the coral did the same thing again 48 hrs later, and from what I'm reading it was mass spawning.
No idea if I'll see lots of baby plates anywhere later but if I do I'll be sure to post pictures.

The live stock will be moved over to the 110g in a couple of months and the nano shut down so unlikely to actually get any from this spawning [emoji19]

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day to everyone. First off let me start by saying b****x to GHA [emoji16]. OK feel better now.

Right so as you've guessed I've been having a little bit of gha issue. Not so much that it's really causing a problem, just more a bit of an eye sore on my nice purple rocks.

It started growing on the back wall and I left it as it was so little and the fish seemed to pick at it when they were hungry. I suppose I should have paid more attention to it at this point as it was obviously going to grow. (take note lol)

My NO3 is about 10ppm. Po4 undetectable but as we all know it's being consumed by the gha so not much point testing for that. Some corals are looking a little unhappy to.

I was running 1/2 cup Kent marine carbon which I recently switched to fluval just to try. Found the fluval carbon to dusty and to small. If you use any bag other then the one they provide which is massive it falls through and makes a real mess of the sump. I was also running 1/4 cup seachem phosguard.

So as of 1 week ago I've decided to give redsea NO3 po4 X a go. My tanks water volume is 16g after displacement so the recommended dosage would be approx 1.2ml per day.

I've started with 1/2ml per day and removed the GFO just to see how and if this works. I don't want to strip the water of all the nutrients so slowly does it. If this isn't enough I'll up it to 1ml and as a last resort add some GFO back.

So far the NO3 has dropped to 5, however I did do a water change 2 days ago so not sure if that's a plausable result. However I can see the algea has slowed in growth compared to say 2 weeks ago when I'd remove it and 2 days later it would be back.

There are only 3 small fish in here and I feed once a day about a 6mm cube of frozen per day, once a week tiny pellets, and reef roids once a week. So not really heavy at all.

Anyway we shall see how this goes and I know there are lots of us who run into gha at some point so maybe this will help some other out once the results are in. I'll update this weekly.

The image here is unfortunately just after I did the weekly maintenance so not much alge to see. But as a reference point this is how it looks now.

For anyone interested my params are current as follows

SG 1.026 /35ppt
PH 8.14
NO3 5ppm
PO4 undetectable
ALK 8.5
CA 425
MG 1335
Temp 25/26
20190515_190235~2.jpeg

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day to everyone. First off let me start by saying b****x to GHA [emoji16]. OK feel better now.

Right so as you've guessed I've been having a little bit of gha issue. Not so much that it's really causing a problem, just more a bit of an eye sore on my nice purple rocks.

It started growing on the back wall and I left it as it was so little and the fish seemed to pick at it when they were hungry. I suppose I should have paid more attention to it at this point as it was obviously going to grow. (take note lol)

My NO3 is about 10ppm. Po4 undetectable but as we all know it's being consumed by the gha so not much point testing for that. Some corals are looking a little unhappy to.

I was running 1/2 cup Kent marine carbon which I recently switched to fluval just to try. Found the fluval carbon to dusty and to small. If you use any bag other then the one they provide which is massive it falls through and makes a real mess of the sump. I was also running 1/4 cup seachem phosguard.

So as of 1 week ago I've decided to give redsea NO3 po4 X a go. My tanks water volume is 16g after displacement so the recommended dosage would be approx 1.2ml per day.

I've started with 1/2ml per day and removed the GFO just to see how and if this works. I don't want to strip the water of all the nutrients so slowly does it. If this isn't enough I'll up it to 1ml and as a last resort add some GFO back.

So far the NO3 has dropped to 5, however I did do a water change 2 days ago so not sure if that's a plausable result. However I can see the algea has slowed in growth compared to say 2 weeks ago when I'd remove it and 2 days later it would be back.

There are only 3 small fish in here and I feed once a day about a 6mm cube of frozen per day, once a week tiny pellets, and reef roids once a week. So not really heavy at all.

Anyway we shall see how this goes and I know there are lots of us who run into gha at some point so maybe this will help some other out once the results are in. I'll update this weekly.

The image here is unfortunately just after I did the weekly maintenance so not much alge to see. But as a reference point this is how it looks now.

For anyone interested my params are current as follows

SG 1.026 /35ppt
PH 8.14
NO3 5ppm
PO4 undetectable
ALK 8.5
CA 425
MG 1335
Temp 25/26
20190515_190235~2.jpeg

Update on the GHA issues.

OK all so it's been about two weeks now since I started dosing redsea's no3 po4 x and as promised a weekly update.

I've been doing my regular weekly 4g WC and removing what GHA I see with a toolthbrush and just letting it collect in the filter pad for removal. The difference I have seen by dosing just under half the recommended dosage is the lack of regrowth of the GHA once removed.

What I haven't removed remains but isn't growing. On this note I have increased the dosage to 1ml per day from 2 days ago and what I have noticed since is a dark green skimmate collection in the coral box skimmer which tells me the algae is dying off. I empty this cup about every 2 days now and I'm skimming fairly dry.

As for corals everyday is a different story, the acans are happy one day and not the next, elegance coral which seemed to be dying before I started the NO3 po4 x is still with me but never fully opens, (fingers crossed for him). All other corals are fine and the lobophilliya is bigger than ever.

So far I've seen no negative results and the GHA has definitely slowed. I'm also only having to clean the glass once a week now as compared to 2 weeks ago it was every day. I should add that there have been 2 individual days that I had forgotten to dose[emoji849].

I'll update next week following the 1ml dosage. Which I may now put on the dosing pump [emoji85]

Happy reefing all,

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Apologies for not updating this thread for a while. I know I said I'd update once a week regarding the GHA but time ran away from me with another project.

So let me tell you what's been going on. While I was dosing the nopox at half the recommend amount nothing much was happening. The gha seemed to slow but after missing a water change it soon started visably coming back. So I decided desperate needs desperate measures. Lol.

I spent an hour with a tooth brush scrubbing rocks and the back wall, did the over due water change and had to move a few corals around a little as they were annoying each other.

I also had an issue with my cheapo LED and that was the remote stopped working which meant I couldn't lower the output and as a result I've upgraded to a maxspect razoer r420r single unit.

Because of all the changes I think it's time to call this experiment ended as the result would no longer be just related to the nopox. I did however up the dosage to 1.2mls a day which is the recommended for my tank volume. Its only been 4 days so far but no algea has grow back and the coral absolutely love the new light. Some that didn't open for a week immediately opened the following day.

Bottom line is I let this algea situation get out of hand and it did real fast, I've now got it under control and with the nopox and all seems good. I will update you all if I see a change but for the most part I can say the nopox has made a positive impact on the tank. So if anyone has the gha issue I'd say give this a shot, but do so slowly and make sure you have a good skimmer or good aeration.

So that's all folks.

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Apologies for not updating this thread for a while. I know I said I'd update once a week regarding the GHA but time ran away from me with another project.

So let me tell you what's been going on. While I was dosing the nopox at half the recommend amount nothing much was happening. The gha seemed to slow but after missing a water change it soon started visably coming back. So I decided desperate needs desperate measures. Lol.

I spent an hour with a tooth brush scrubbing rocks and the back wall, did the over due water change and had to move a few corals around a little as they were annoying each other.

I also had an issue with my cheapo LED and that was the remote stopped working which meant I couldn't lower the output and as a result I've upgraded to a maxspect razoer r420r single unit.

Because of all the changes I think it's time to call this experiment ended as the result would no longer be just related to the nopox. I did however up the dosage to 1.2mls a day which is the recommended for my tank volume. Its only been 4 days so far but no algea has grow back and the coral absolutely love the new light. Some that didn't open for a week immediately opened the following day.

Bottom line is I let this algea situation get out of hand and it did real fast, I've now got it under control and with the nopox and all seems good. I will update you all if I see a change but for the most part I can say the nopox has made a positive impact on the tank. So if anyone has the gha issue I'd say give this a shot, but do so slowly and make sure you have a good skimmer or good aeration.

So that's all folks.
Forgot to add a few pics as we know everyone likes to see pictures [emoji6]
20190607_141205~2.jpeg
20190605_170608.jpeg

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No more corals [emoji33].

OK so that's a bit of a wind up, sorry couldn't help myself [emoji16].

Well ladies and gents the nano is soon to be no more, Friday I finally got around to moving all the corals over to the 110g and the nano is going to a fellow reefer on R2R who is planning to keep some easy going corals in it. I'll be giving him the rock with it for his red sea reefer 250 that he is also currently setting up, hopefully this will give him a push to getting around to it [emoji23].

I've well and truly pxxxed the corals off buy dipping them during transfer, and then again by having a wavemaker that was, causing a cat5 hurricane in the tank which has now been resolved, although the xenia would beg to differ lol.

Well its been an short but none the less, interesting ride with you all and the nano, and thank you for thoes of you following along on this rather short build and to all of you who shared your thoughts along the way.

Just in case anyone was wondering the GHA issue was resolved with elbow grease, nopox and a new light [emoji4].

I'll leave you all with some pics past and present and look forward to the ups and downs of the 110g reef, which you can find on here if you wish to check it out [emoji16].

OK all keep on reefing and catch you all soon.

20180926_191929~2.jpeg
20181222_041758~2.jpeg
20190304_220217~2.jpeg
20190312_170756.jpeg
20190313_113310~3.jpeg
20190312_170811.jpeg
20190613_163247.jpeg
20190613_165854.jpeg
20190318_153305~2.jpeg
20190621_214536.jpeg
20190622_193851.jpeg

20190318_153305~2.jpeg

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back