Finally to reef

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Well back from my 6 week trip and of course first thing I do it set up the nano while I finish off the 110g. So here is the update so far.
This cube was a cheap tank I picked up from a LFS that needed a filter redesign. The stand is just a home made 2x4 with foam board velcro taped for easy access.

I wanted a dry start to this tank with no live rock or old sand seeding as the tank Is to small to deal with any unwanted guests. The sand was live from LFS and I used MB7 with a shrimp.

I'll add links to the equipment used altho I sourced all parts locally. Apart from the LED. This was from amazon. This was the only part I has issues with FYI. One of the thump screws thread socket was damaged. So required to be re-taped. Once done I'm very happy with the light spectrum on this and woukd definitely buy another for the price.

OK guys/girls ill be sure to update as this progresses in a month or so. I think this will be a mix of SPS/LPS with a CUC and maybe 2 or 3 tiny fish. On that note I wonder what fish you would all recommend. I'm not really wanting a pair of clows. I will be looking at 6 line wrasse. The other 2 I'll let you all decide. [emoji106].

OK that's enough for now. Will update on the110g as it happens.

Keep reefing ya'll. [emoji16]
LED here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07F...reef+light&dpPl=1&dpID=41gy+JB+IvL&ref=plSrch

DOSING CAMBER here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L...osing+pump&dpPl=1&dpID=31-EwLgUR4L&ref=plSrch

DOSER here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01A...osing+pump&dpPl=1&dpID=4162ylktblL&ref=plSrch

RETURN PUMP here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075...o+DCW+2000&dpPl=1&dpID=41CdHi3PFhL&ref=plSrch

WAVE MAKER here
https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-Propel...=jebao+sw2&dpPl=1&dpID=51W-AQIVi0L&ref=plSrch

20181222_042207~6.jpeg

20181222_052717.jpeg

20181222_041835.jpeg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. Well back from my 6 week trip and of course first thing I do it set up the nano while I finish off the 110g. So here is the update so far.
This cube was a cheap tank I picked up from a LFS that needed a filter redesign. The stand is just a home made 2x4 with foam board velcro taped for easy access.

I wanted a dry start to this tank with no live rock or old sand seeding as the tank Is to small to deal with any unwanted guests. The sand was live from LFS and I used MB7 with a shrimp.

I'll add links to the equipment used altho I sourced all parts locally. Apart from the LED. This was from amazon. This was the only part I has issues with FYI. One of the thump screws thread socket was damaged. So required to be re-taped. Once done I'm very happy with the light spectrum on this and woukd definitely buy another for the price.

OK guys/girls ill be sure to update as this progresses in a month or so. I think this will be a mix of SPS/LPS with a CUC and maybe 2 or 3 tiny fish. On that note I wonder what fish you would all recommend. I'm not really wanting a pair of clows. I will be looking at 6 line wrasse. The other 2 I'll let you all decide. [emoji106].

OK that's enough for now. Will update on the110g as it happens.

Keep reefing ya'll. [emoji16]
LED here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07F5B5GRB/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1545425285&sr=8-18&keywords=led+reef+light&dpPl=1&dpID=41gy+JB+IvL&ref=plSrch

DOSING CAMBER here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L...osing+pump&dpPl=1&dpID=31-EwLgUR4L&ref=plSrch

DOSER here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01A...osing+pump&dpPl=1&dpID=4162ylktblL&ref=plSrch

RETURN PUMP here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B075...o+DCW+2000&dpPl=1&dpID=41CdHi3PFhL&ref=plSrch

WAVE MAKER here
https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-Propel...=jebao+sw2&dpPl=1&dpID=51W-AQIVi0L&ref=plSrch

20181222_042207~6.jpeg

20181222_052717.jpeg

20181222_041835.jpeg

Nice clean look!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful looking tank and looking forward to the pictures of the 110g as well

Welcome to R2R as well by the way it’s great to have you with us!

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. Just thought I'd post a quick update on the nano.

As expected nothing much to report but ammonia levels so playing the waiting game. Been 14 days now and temp, pH, skimmer seems to finally have stabilised. I'll add a screen cap from a very useful app I found called Aquarium Note.

Will update as things change. Just to recap its 16g cube (sort of) dry rock, live sand, MB7 and started with 2 shrimps and a little ghost feeding. No lighting yet, skimmer on all evenings to run in but off after adding the MB7 for half a day.

Righto updates to follow then. Keep reefing.
Screenshot_20190103-122455_Aquarium%20Note.jpeg

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all how's it going.
Another update I think is due [emoji16].

Right so since my weekly testing of ammonia with the salifert test kit it would appear I've been reading the cloudy test result as having ammonia when after checking with a number of other reefers it would seems that's actually the zero reading [emoji849]. I've not seen any NO2 but just tested for NO3 and have 5ppm. As I cycled with dry Rock and LS (as its claimed) I expected the cycle to last at least 4 weeks.
Seems I missed a beat with the NO2 [emoji102].

Well looking like the tank is ready for its CUC but just to be sure I've feed it with a slice of frozen mysys and see how it handles that. If the NH4 is down to zero in 24 hrs I'll assume its cycled, to a point, and will next week add CUC.

micro bubbles from the coral box skimmer have been a complete pitta but have sorted that out now and it's looking good. No diatoms or algae yet as it's been a dark cycle so will start to run the light cycle as of Tuesday.

All parameters are stable so hopefully here we go. A few adjustments to the flow had to be made as well as to the skimmer and auto top off (Something that the cycling process gives you time to get to grips with)

Anyways keep reefing and will update next week. [emoji106]

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't rush the cycle. I did 4 months... just to avoid any outbreaks. Patience really is the key to avoid all the GHA & diatom issues so prevalent in new tanks.

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to another late update guys and girls [emoji28].

So after waiting another week or so it appears the cycle was complete, as far as I can test for. Params have been super stable apart from the usual day/night PH swing. So CUC were added in the form. Of 1 snail, 1 hermit and 1 blood shrimp. Their all doing fine and eating everything they can find.

Over the last almost 2 weeks I've been adding a few corals and I've finally got round to taking some pics to share with you all.

I also have 2x Lyretail Anthias currently in QT in copper treatment, just as a precaution, which has paid off as I have seen 3 white spots on 1 of them which have no dissappeared, although far from dead. So a few more weeks for them. They had no signs in the LFS tank[emoji849].

Let this be advice for all that consider QT an option. Plz QT all your fish as it will. Save you a massive headache and fish lives later on.

Everything is doing well so far. I'll post my current Params below which are currently being maintained by Kalk in the ATO. the dosing pump will start when it's required.

Temp: 26.2
PH: 8.2
NO3: 0.5ppm
Ca: 480
Alk: 8.9
Mg: 1440

Hope you all enjoy the pics and will be adding some more in a month or so.

20190129_152059~5.jpeg
20190129_151812.jpeg
20190129_152019.jpeg
20190129_152038.jpeg

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks great! I love zoas. Just can't get them where I live. :(

The tank looks great! I love zoas. Just can't get them where I live. :(

Really. Wow that's a shame. Here in hong Kong their all over lucky for me. I'm. Sure you'll find something that looks just as nice or better though [emoji2]

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, been a long week but have some free time today so thought I'd share with you all the few new corals I found last weekend[emoji16]. You know when you go to buy an air stone and we'll what can I say. I found a new shop[emoji85]

So here we are, unfortunately the frogspawn got knocked lose by the hermit and landed face down in the sand and was there for most of the day. Wife found him and saved him but not before I lost 1 head. He's looking happy now though.

Have almost got my Alk/Ca figured out after a week long experiment and will start dosing next week. Corals have looked a little sorry for themselves lately and Alk was ready 6.7Dkh at one point. I think I'll be changing salt mix from instant ocean reef crystals to the red sea coral pro and see how that works out.

OK all happy reefing and will update soon.

20190223_132917.jpeg
IMG-20190223-WA0013.jpeg
20190223_133028.jpeg

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A beautiful, sleek, streamlined system with stunning critters. You've done well and thanks for the many *drools* whilst viewing your pics and reading your progress.

Fantastic thread all the way around.

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A beautiful, sleek, streamlined system with stunning critters. You've done well and thanks for the many *drools* whilst viewing your pics and reading your progress.

Fantastic thread all the way around.
Thank you captain I'm hooeijf this continues to grow well. It is early days yet so still being cautious about what goes in but all in all so far I'm pretty happy with it.. Will keep posting updates as they happen. Hope you all enjoy.

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening all from Hong Kong on this beautiful warm day [emoji847].

Not to much to update with but since the 2 fish have now been introduced to their new home I thought I'd share that with you all.

As a reminder these fish came in clean but 3 days later had ick. Thank god I QT everything that comes in, they responded well to the seachem cupramin @0.5ppm for 30 days and I'm happy to say here they are.

I've also finally completed the week ALK/Ca testing and started running the Doser as of 3 days ago, and have to say the corals are bigger than ever so I'm glad I did that and definitely recommend anyone to give it ago especially if your running a nano with a good few corals.

Figuring out the correct dosage can be hard work but it's well worth the effort.

Will be a month or so before the 6 line wrasse is here so will probably update when that happens unless anything spectacular or unexpected happens.

I'll add a few close ups so you can see the difference the Doser seems to be making.

Acans are happier than ever lol

Happy reefing.
20190303_183248~4.jpeg
20190303_183418~2.jpeg
20190303_140712.jpeg

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update here and a few pjc, so the 6 line wrasse and diadem dottyback passed QT with no issues and no meds so off to the nano they went. All good for a few days then the dotty started to terrorise the wrasse to the point he was getting stressed out. Fought for 3 days to catch him but nadda. He was to smart. The wrasse on the other hand swam straight into the net as if he wanted to leave [emoji85]. so the wrasse now has a new home after rearranging the apartment to accommodate him. Oh yes I'm the flavour of the month at home right now I can tell you. The point of this story is use an Acclimation box if you ever can. Hopefully this will give you time to see how the fish interaction will be. That said all fish are now happy at least. Maybe he will go back in once he's a little bigger or maybe he will end up in the 110g. Time will tell. My living room is now starting to look like my LFS [emoji23].

OP
OP
ylreefer

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update here and a few pjc, so the 6 line wrasse and diadem dottyback passed QT with no issues and no meds so off to the nano they went. All good for a few days then the dotty started to terrorise the wrasse to the point he was getting stressed out. Fought for 3 days to catch him but nadda. He was to smart. The wrasse on the other hand swam straight into the net as if he wanted to leave [emoji85]. so the wrasse now has a new home after rearranging the apartment to accommodate him. Oh yes I'm the flavour of the month at home right now I can tell you. The point of this story is use an Acclimation box if you ever can. Hopefully this will give you time to see how the fish interaction will be. That said all fish are now happy at least. Maybe he will go back in once he's a little bigger or maybe he will end up in the 110g. Time will tell. My living room is now starting to look like my LFS [emoji23].
DIY sump cover and the wrasse new home
20190317_152604~3.jpeg
IMG-20190402-WA0036.jpeg
IMG-20190403-WA0000.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back