Finding Berghia Nudibranch in tank

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lots of aiptasia in my tank. Tank is 55 gallons 3 ft long. I got 5 Berghia Nudibranch and put them in last night when the light was out.

I want to see my Nudibranch working. What’s the best way to find and spot them eating aiptasia? I can’t find them tonight using phone flashlight

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never did see mine after I put them in. I am pretty sure my wrasse did though?

Once they finish off all the aiptasia then they will be visible on the glass looking for food.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very hard to find. What’s your stocking list ?
clownfish
Helfrichi
Yellow tang
Molly Miller
Flame hawkfish
Borbonius anthias
Royal flasher wrasse
Yellow watchman
bubble tip anemone
Corals
Sand shifting starfish
Tuxedo urchin
Snails and hermit crabs

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the wrasse will see them before you do .
Royal flasher wrasse is reefsafe. At least mine. He does not pick on any surface at all. He does not any attention at all to any snails or crabs even the smallest ones. Only eats frozen and flakes. I rehomed my Melanarus wrasse before I added Berghia Nudibranch.

College_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I added Berghias to my 29 gallon, I didn't see either of them for about a month. Then I saw that there was a baby berghia walking across the glass so I knew they were in there. They are a surefire way of getting rid of aiptasia however they aren't an overnight solution. I forgot I had mine till one day I realized there weren't any aiptasia left.

JonoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was positive my wrasse found mine. I was at work when mine came in and my wife put them in the tank....so I wasn't sure they even survived that. Two months after that, my Aiptasia started disappearing. I don't even remember when I added mine...maybe October? I saw one two weeks ago randomly. Still have one or two Aiptasia left that I can see but I'm guessing the berghias are all but gone now.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% my wrasse saw mine before they got a chance really sucks like throwing 100$ out the window
I look at it like I want to take my fish out to dinner instead of my wife once in awhile.
I put a shrimp in to eat the little starfish and I was certain for a couple of months that it went to dinner with my wrasse. Then one day I moved a rock and there it was. I have seen it once since out walking around.

My Filefish ate 2/4 heads of an ASD hammer and a torch single after he had snacked on a few aiptasia. Now he's in the fuge tank with the clowns and damsels, doing fine.

I wonder if the Flame hawkfish will find them delightful?

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put in 5 of Nudibranch this past Monday, but I have not seen any improvements. Still see the same aiptasia on the same spots. I probably have 30-50 aiptasia in my tank lol.
Should I get more Nudibranch? Or add peppermint shrimp?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put in 5 of Nudibranch this past Monday, but I have not seen any improvements. Still see the same aiptasia on the same spots. I probably have 30-50 aiptasia in my tank lol.
Let the nudies get started, peppermint shrimp will eat bergula nudibranchs.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the nudies get started, peppermint shrimp will eat bergula nudibranchs.
Youll never see them until theyre starving and exploring for more to eat. If youre determined then you gotta check at night with a flashlight
I did spend time to look for them at night but no luck.
Is 5 Nudibranch enough for 55 gallons 3ft long tank with 30-40 aiptasia?

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put 3 in my 75g and they wiped out ever last aiptasia in 2 months. They just mutliply fast. Those 5 wont do much on their own but you could have hundreds in 4-6 weeks and youll still never see them lol after i put mine in i only ever saw a single one on the glass but that was only after they got all the aiptasia. But if you have wrasses youll also never know if they got eaten. Only way youll tell is the aiptasia will slowly disappear after about a month and by the second or third month theyll all be gone. If they dont disappear then the nudis were eaten.

Ef4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did spend time to look for them at night but no luck.
Is 5 Nudibranch enough for 55 gallons 3ft long tank with 30-40 aiptasia?
Should be fine as long as nothing eats the berghias. They will reproduce quickly.

i bought the tiny .25” ones, I just seen one today under a rock when I was cleaning And it was 3/4” long almost. They have only been in the tank for a couple weeks now. I have no large visible aptasia left now, I’m sure there is still some tiny ones.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It's going to take atleast a month. Suddenly you'll see a prior noticeable aiptasia just dissappear. And that will continue to happen untill they hunt them all down. Hope they work! Always had for me!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back