Fine Tuning Protein skimmer

Duncan Tse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently bought a used vertex omega 150 and I need some help fine tuning it.

It has been running in my system for about a month now and I'm not sure exactly what the optimum levels are.

If someone can give me a step by step guide then that'll be great.

There is a tube to twist to control the water level in the skimmer and a volute on the pump which I assume is to control the air/water ratio

Reef - Tripp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, the scrolls are not much use leave it screwed and the tube that gives the internal height almost open, the trick in the omega vertex was to regulate the amount of air, the latest models included a valve to close the amount of air if you do not bring it yours get one. Luck.

OP
OP
D

Duncan Tse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, the scrolls are not much use leave it screwed and the tube that gives the internal height almost open, the trick in the omega vertex was to regulate the amount of air, the latest models included a valve to close the amount of air if you do not bring it yours get one. Luck.

Okay I see thanks! So you're suggesting some kind of air valve mod to control how much air gets into the system?

Reef - Tripp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

OP
OP
D

Duncan Tse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

It seems like they also recommended turning the volute all the way open

Reef - Tripp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can play with the volute but you will not see much difference, as I commented the secret is in regulating the air intake, as I commented vertex I even add a valve in its latest versions, it left another link where they also used it.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is the tank? is it a brand new tank? Has the skimmer broken in yet?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have that omega. Did all that. Any disturbance would cause overflow.
Got a reef octopus 150, and dialed down the pump speed 3/5.
Night and day. Large bubbles start waaay lower in thie reef octo skimmer.

In my opinion the omega has too much water moving in the Tube, for my load anyway. And the pump speed cannot be adjusted. An the ac pump vibrates, makes noise.

Op, best height for me on the omega was 7.5". Volute closed, it will walk otherwise due to pump vibration. Stem pipe about 1/3 open. Play with the air input restriction.
Don't struggle, it shouldn't be that hard.

OP
OP
D

Duncan Tse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can play with the volute but you will not see much difference, as I commented the secret is in regulating the air intake, as I commented vertex I even add a valve in its latest versions, it left another link where they also used it.

So I have a spare 2 little fishes reactor ball valve. Do I just have to cut the air tube and then insert this valve in?

What size is the tank? is it a brand new tank? Has the skimmer broken in yet?

I bought it used and on a 40 gallon stocked tank currently. It's been running for a month and producing some thin skimate but recently I've noticed it just start to not produce as much bubbles. I feed pretty heavily with reef roids pellets and frozen daily.

Have that omega. Did all that. Any disturbance would cause overflow.
Got a reef octopus 150, and dialed down the pump speed 3/5.
Night and day. Large bubbles start waaay lower in thie reef octo skimmer.

In my opinion the omega has too much water moving in the Tube, for my load anyway. And the pump speed cannot be adjusted. An the ac pump vibrates, makes noise.

Op, best height for me on the omega was 7.5". Volute closed, it will walk otherwise due to pump vibration. Stem pipe about 1/3 open. Play with the air input restriction.
Don't struggle, it shouldn't be that hard.

Yup currently at 7.5" water right now. For the air input do you mean the pump volute?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a spare 2 little fishes reactor ball valve. Do I just have to cut the air tube and then insert this valve in?

I bought it used and on a 40 gallon stocked tank currently. It's been running for a month and producing some thin skimate but recently I've noticed it just start to not produce as much bubbles. I feed pretty heavily with reef roids pellets and frozen daily.

Yup currently at 7.5" water right now. For the air input do you mean the pump volute?
No, the air line feed. Adjust with the 2 litt.e fishes ball valve you mention

OP
OP
D

Duncan Tse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I wasn't able to find my ball valve so I tried to tweak with the volute settings.

Right now it is sitting at 7.5" of water with volute all the way open until the first thread show.

Seems to be getting a better foam head and the bubbles are popping right at the bottom of collection cup.

Does this look good to everyone or should I raise/lower the water level in the skimmer?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I wasn't able to find my ball valve so I tried to tweak with the volute settings.

Right now it is sitting at 7.5" of water with volute all the way open until the first thread show.

Seems to be getting a better foam head and the bubbles are popping right at the bottom of collection cup.

Does this look good to everyone or should I raise/lower the water level in the skimmer?
Looks great

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back