Finishing 40 Breeder Stock List

money88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 40 Breeder with a 20 gallon sump and I am looking to round off my stock list and was looking for some ideas. There are a few corals in there now but plan on increasing that over time so not a fish only.

Current Stock List:
- 2 Ocellaris Clowns
- 1 Purple Dottyback
- 1 Longnose Hawkfish
- 1 Cleaner Shrimp
- 1 Emerald Crab
- Snails

My Ideas:
- I was thinking of getting a yellow watchman goby and red-banded pistol (had a pistol before which I lost in a move unfortunately that I enjoyed)
- Also looking for some sort of "centerpiece fish" maybe like a dwarf flame angel (I know there are chances it will nip or eat corals)
- Coral Beauty Angel?
- Looking for an active fish and not cardinals or firefish (gf just isn't interested in those)
- She really liked Anthias but I told her the tank would be too small for those (at least any of the color we were looking for)

So looking for other peoples thoughts let me know! Thanks!

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion is some of the smaller wrasses. Good options include just about any of the flasher wrasses and a few other fairies or halichoeres. Candy hogfish are gorgeous and good additions as well!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That purple dottyback will be problematic in that size tank. They can be quite aggressive toward new additions.

OP
OP
money88

money88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That purple dottyback will be problematic in that size tank. They can be quite aggressive toward new additions.
I actually miss-typed, always get my royal gramma mixed up with the purple dottyback. So yea I have a Royal Gramma not a Purple Dottyback

Thanks for the suggestions some of these wrasses are really awesome looking! They are pretty active fish then? I am looking for that colorful active fish because the clowns hang together usually in a corner. The longnose perches which is really cool looking and the royal gramma kind of just hangs out in nooks and crannies.

I do like the looks of dwarf angels but I know I am pushing the limits if I were to go that route, between tank size, aggression, and possible coral nipping. If I was to add a wrasse or hogfish do you think I could also still add the banded-pistol and YWG? Or possibly a smaller goby like a Yasha to pair instead?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually miss-typed, always get my royal gramma mixed up with the purple dottyback. So yea I have a Royal Gramma not a Purple Dottyback

Thanks for the suggestions some of these wrasses are really awesome looking! They are pretty active fish then? I am looking for that colorful active fish because the clowns hang together usually in a corner. The longnose perches which is really cool looking and the royal gramma kind of just hangs out in nooks and crannies.

I do like the looks of dwarf angels but I know I am pushing the limits if I were to go that route, between tank size, aggression, and possible coral nipping. If I was to add a wrasse or hogfish do you think I could also still add the banded-pistol and YWG? Or possibly a smaller goby like a Yasha to pair instead?
A royal gramma makes a world of difference.

I would second flasher wrasses or some of the small fairy wrasse species.

I would advise against the hogfish. As they mature they get pretty mean.

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote for center piece fish goes to a six line wrasse. They are very cool to watch swim and "surf" in the current. Plus they will devour any potential pest you miss when adding coral.

Just remember if you add a six line that you may not be able to add any other wrasse in the future. I hear six lines are pretty "mean"...Ive had mine for 2 years now and he is the most gentle fish in my reef tank.

OP
OP
money88

money88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote for center piece fish goes to a six line wrasse. They are very cool to watch swim and "surf" in the current. Plus they will devour any potential pest you miss when adding coral.

Just remember if you add a six line that you may not be able to add any other wrasse in the future. I hear six lines are pretty "mean"...Ive had mine for 2 years now and he is the most gentle fish in my reef tank.

I have always enjoyed a sixline because of how much they swim around the tank. They don't get too sizeable and sometimes seem to hug the rockwork a little so they wouldn't always be completely visible. I also wonder how happy they would be if at this point I don't have any pests in my tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always enjoyed a sixline because of how much they swim around the tank. They don't get too sizeable and sometimes seem to hug the rockwork a little so they wouldn't always be completely visible. I also wonder how happy they would be if at this point I don't have any pests in my tank.
Sixlines have a tendency to get quite aggressive over time.

Shrimpinator123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you excluding all dartfish? If not, you could do a scissortail or a Blue Gudgeon Dartfish. What about a blenny?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixlines always make the list of things people wish they wouldn't have added to their tanks.

I like the original list, after replacing the purple dottyback with the gramma. An orchid (P. fridmani) dottyback would be a more peaceful substitute as well.

I wouldn't do any dwarf angel for the reasons you mentioned. A flasher wrasse like a McCosker's might be a good choice.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back