Finnex HMO 300 Heater help

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another Finnex heater issue!!! I have 2 300 watt Finnex HMO heaters. Apex says temp is 77.9 all the time. I have tried to raise the temp on the finnex to 85 but the turn on for a sec and off again. Woke up this morning and temp was 76.4

Do the heaters need to be calibtrated? If yes does anyone know how to calibrate heaters or a manual?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the heater is broke :( There shouldn't be any calibration needed. Have you verified the temp of the tank water with something besides the Apex temp probe?

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the heater is broke :( There shouldn't be any calibration needed. Have you verified the temp of the tank water with something besides the Apex temp probe?
I have also these heaters are know to NOT being calibrated where they are off a few degrees. What are the chances of 2 heaters being broken...

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also these heaters are know to NOT being calibrated where they are off a few degrees. What are the chances of 2 heaters being broken...
Yeah that is true with pretty much any heater.....you always have to verify the internal thermostat with another source.....they aren't "calibrated" though in the traditional sense. Unfortunately you would be surprised how common having multiple heaters go bad actually is....it has happened to me several times with higher end heaters. I now just buy cheap heaters and control them through the Apex (like you are doing) since they die so often anyways.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you controlling the HMO heaters with the apex or with the built in thermostat? If you are using both, make sure they are not conflicting. Did the heaters not come with instructions?

OP
OP
Xclusive Reef

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you controlling the HMO heaters with the apex or with the built in thermostat? If you are using both, make sure they are not conflicting. Did the heaters not come with instructions?
I am sure that they came with instructions but I am not sure where I placed it. not sure what you mean by using both, I have them setup in apex to 78.3-78.5 and to maintain that I have to keep the actual heaters at 81-82.. What I noticed is that if temp falls to like 77.3 on apex I don't see the heaters keeping the water at 78.3

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heaters have a + - range before they turn on and of so that they aren't constantly turning on and off, just like the 0.3° window you set up on the apex. also, in my experience (i am a competitive bbqer and have used hundreds of thermometers) thermometers are notoriously inaccurate .

fwiw my heater are set for 78° and my controller is set to shut the power off to them at 81° and sound an alarm at 75° In this example I am controlling the temoertaure using the heaters with the controller as a safety should a heater fail to turn off. i use a second digital thermometer so i can spot check that the controller is accurate.

a simple test is fill a glass with ice, add some plain water and wait five minutes, place the probe and it should read 32°

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 300W finnex has had to be set to 84 to heat to 78 since it came out of the box. Tested with a high quality temperature gun as well as a calibrated probe from my controller. I would not trust these heaters without a controller as backup.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What was asked was if the heater is just plugged into the EB bar or is the heater plugged into a controller then the EB bar?

I have been running the 300w for a couple of years, I used a good thermometer to check my water actual temp to the Apex reading. I is off by -2 degree.

Apex temp.PNG

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 300W finnex has had to be set to 84 to heat to 78 since it came out of the box. Tested with a high quality temperature gun as well as a calibrated probe from my controller. I would not trust these heaters without a controller as backup.
My 500w finnex is exactly the same, I have the heater controller set at 83 for the tank to register 77.6. Triple checked it thermostat,temp probe & sicce sdc return all read 77.6.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back