Fire fish

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this purple fire fish for 3 days now and he's finally coming out, I would like a red/white one can they go together is it better to do it sooner than later or not a problem anyway? I'm going with a few more cromis then probably dwarf angel and a sail tang. Not to sure yet open to suggestions and giving more information thanks for any replies!

120g 4 g cromis 1 week with fish 20yr old rock 2 month new tank running instant cycle..:)

20210214_205005.jpg 20210214_201129.jpg

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of a red and purple fire fish pairing up but no matter the ‘designer’ name of that species it’s really hit or miss. As for the most part you will need a male and female for them to not get aggressive and it is next to impossible for us to identify their gender.

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you opinion stick with one 2 be safe, no sense trying something that could be harmful to them?
Yes, that would be my opinion. If you find ones that are already paired then great, they’re a lot less timid and way more happy in pairs. Pairs are normally much better for overall health for them and experience for us but some fish are harder to sex and pair then others.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thank you of course that makes sense. Im trying to stock the docile timid fish first not sure what to add next. I want to try and add a flame and coral beauty at the same time those are the only two fish I want to go out on a limb with hopefully last, with a fully stocked tank, maybe they will be distracted. I've had them together before but added last in a 120 similarto the same rock structure. I've had this rock forever. Any suggestions on fish if you don't mind and have time thanks for your input already

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish are fickle little fish. They are incredible jumpers, experts at hide and seek... sneaky little buggers. I wish you luck in keeping them. I've given up on them.
excited moby dick GIF by Hilde Buiter

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are so timid. I had a beautiful one that had a pretty face...that's about all I ever saw of it looking out of a rock hole! He would come out to eat, but dart for safety as soon as any other fish came near him. But, I think a leopard wrasse I had was actually bullying it into hiding. The leopard would just swim in the direction of the Firefish any time it came out causing it to hide again. It eventually looked like it injured its mouth one day and then I never saw it again...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a mix of both in my larger tank and were introduced at separate times without any issues.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't scare me I got him for a good price 30$ and eats like a hog seems super healthy, and he's staying low:confused:. Its a euro brace no top hopefully the brace keeps him in if he jumps ill be very sad but i didn't know before i got him that they can jump. hopefully since he is alone maybe he wont be scared and really get established and happy...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't scare me I got him for a good price 30$ and eats like a hog seems super healthy, and he's staying low:confused:. Its a euro brace no top hopefully the brace keeps him in if he jumps ill be very sad but i didn't know before i got him that they can jump. hopefully since he is alone maybe he wont be scared and really get established and happy...
I’d definitely look into a top. I had a fish just jump out on me the other week. Go the DIY route of some 1/4” netting and a window frame kit and you’re looking at less then $35

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d definitely look into a top. I had a fish just jump out on me the other week. Go the DIY route of some 1/4” netting and a window frame kit and you’re looking at less then $35
ok i was just looking brs has clear mesh and a screen kit, its a 48x24 rectangle with a brace it should be super easy and it can sit on the brace. i will look into it thank you

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back