Fire on vacation

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm on vacation. I kept telling my brother make sure you check up on my tank. It's my first tank everything was running great while i was at home. Soon as I go on vaca he's not on top of things thinking it's just a fish tank. Smh and this happened. House almost caught on fire and lights are done now and i don't know how long has this been like this. If fish or corals are ok smh. I'm beyond mad.
received_1262077197563237.jpeg
received_641550306809786.jpeg
received_895434751373887.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Holy cow. Glad all is good other than light.
From looks of pic- moisture got to the power strip.

@Brew12

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, no kidding yikes. So did something short out with whatever that plug was or did water creep down to the outlet from somewhere?
I don't know not home yet to examine it. But i def think some water hit it because he sent me a terrible picture yesterday and I was examining it today very hard. Water levels looked extremely high so i told him rush him water levels are high and i bet water was leaking down. He said it wasn't wet but who knows with a fire it probably dried up

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in 2008, I had the ballast for an old Biocube blow up. Luckily I was home when it happened, made a huge bang and was literally shooting flames out of the little plastic box it was housed in. I unplugged it and threw water on it, and luckily got it put out. Would’ve definitely burnt the house down if I wasn’t home. I’ve always heard that oceanic (this was one of the old ones) had great customer service, but they wouldn’t do anything, not even replace it and it was still under warranty.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well couple questions now. Will the light still work if i get a new power cable. Will lights out for a few days affect corals dramatically.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible the lights will still work by running a new cord as long as the ballast didn't short out completely. Depending on the lighting you may be able to replace the ballast if needed. As far as the corals, most should be fine for a few days. Many reefers do 3 day blackouts to control algae with minimal to no coral damage. Perhaps have your brother open the blinds and place whatever lamps etc. he can around the tank during the day if you're worried. Some light is better than none.

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible the lights will still work by running a new cord as long as the ballast didn't short out completely. Depending on the lighting you may be able to replace the ballast if needed. As far as the corals, most should be fine for a few days. Many reefers do 3 day blackoutso to control algae with minimal coral damage.
Well that's good to hear because i know my little algae bloom isn't outta control now because his butt didn't do what he had to:rolleyes:

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestion for the future is to have a Wyze camera set up on your system that you can check 24/7. Have two possible reefer people (not relatives unless it is to allow access) that could possibly come by your house in an emergency. Pay them. Have dual automatic feeders and dual heaters with controllers and a backup return pump. On the electrical end, also make sure you have a GFCI outlet (they sell ones on cords too) and a grounding probe.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's good to hear because i know my little algae bloom isn't outta control now because his butt didn't do what he had to:rolleyes:
First off be glad that your house didn't burn down. We all love our tanks but ultimately there are more important things.
Also, I'm not sure what your brother did that would make you blame him for this. Not trying to beat you up over it but if the tank was setup to where water could get to an outlet that seems like your fault and not the fault of someone watching your tank.

rockdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ! I would first put a GFI outlet or go buy a GFI power strip.
I actually have both.
I keep all my power in a separate side and not behind and all mounted high so if I do forget the drip loop with the power mounted high its kinda fail safe drip loop naturally.
I know you need the lights asap but determining why and how would be my high on my list.
Very lucky.
Play the lotto !

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually mount all my power strips and ballast to a sheet of metal usually a low cost cookie sheet just for this reason. If something burns it better not go anywhere. Did water drip into the outlet? That seems like more then salt buildup.
Excellent idea re: the cookie sheet. Kudos!

OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so there's def water on the wires that caused it. Looks like the water level got too the rim of the tank and it kept slowly dripping out because the filter in the over flow box got clogged

Back