Firefish & Darwin Clown tankmate?

mikemathis555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small Darwin clownfish and a firefish goby in a newly established tank (13.5 Fluval) Lots of live rock, upgraded AI prime lighting and will be making some small upgrades to the pump and filter soon. Solid cleanup crew, and stable water parameters. No corals yet…

I’d like to add a 3rd, small fish to the mix to round out the livestock before adding coral. I know they are highly recommended nano tank fish, but I’m not a fan of the Watchman goby (see these on posts all the time). Any other ideas?

a few I’ve thought about already;
Blue/Green Chromis
Flasher Wrasse (similar to a McCorker’s)
Royal Gramma
Orchid Dottyback
Banggai Cardinalfish (I’m getting a pair of these once I get a bigger tank)

thoughts?

drumandbassrunner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mike,

I have a 55 gallon display tank and from your list, I have 2 chromis and 2 Bangaii's. The chromis are super active and very cute, especially during feeding. I like the Bangaii's also, but the chromis do add a lot of life to the tank despite being such small fish. The Bangaii's are very cool to look at, but they don't do much. They can also get to be pretty big (relatively speaking). So, my recommendation would be to add a chromi in there. I hope this helps and congrats on your tank!!

OP
OP
mikemathis555

mikemathis555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mike,

I have a 55 gallon display tank and from your list, I have 2 chromis and 2 Bangaii's. The chromis are super active and very cute, especially during feeding. I like the Bangaii's also, but the chromis do add a lot of life to the tank despite being such small fish. The Bangaii's are very cool to look at, but they don't do much. They can also get to be pretty big (relatively speaking). So, my recommendation would be to add a chromi in there. I hope this helps and congrats on your tank!!

thanks for the reply. I’m definitely getting a couple of Banggai but will wait until later when I upgrade to a larger tank once I’m better at this hobby!!!

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't bought yet I would really recommend a court jester goby, or a sapphire damsel, biota sells them both captive bred. https://shop.thebiotagroup.com/ they will also both pick at algae.

I personally wouldn't do a green chromis, they are extremely active little fish, mine didn't seem happy when temporarily housed in my fluval during moves

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t add anything else except maybe a yellow watchman goby, or something very small like that. I do like the suggestion of the court jester goby however not sure you have enough live rock w/pods for it to eat

reefer_evo5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this tank as well and all I have in term of fish is a pair of snowflake clowns and a Banggai Cardina. They all seem happy in their cardinals dont do much but just float in one spot so that one was a perfect fit for this tank my larger clown does mess with my cardinal some times but other than that all three seem happy in this tank.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back