Firefish jumped out

paulyax5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby, and my one fish is a firefish. I heard they jump out so I cut chicken wire to the shape of my tank as a temporary cover, that had worked so far. however, today I took it off to add in bacteria stuff and it jumped 5 feet out from my tank. I scooped it up and put it back immediatly and it hid in its cave. now its fins are ripped and it may die. Does anyone have any advice for what to do?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
original.gif
#WelcometoR2R
Unfortunately there isn't much you can do other than observe and hope he recovers. What bacteria stuff were you adding to the tank?

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had plenty of jumpers. Had a Midas blenny jump and found shortly after. Thought he was a goner. Put him back in and within 3 days he was nearly 100% again. That was 7 months ago. He’s doing great. I’ve only had that luck one time. Usually not so lucky. Hope he recovers. It’s so sad to see this happen ofcourse. Good luck

OP
OP
P

paulyax5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, guys. The firefish is still alive and actually seems unfazed besides its tail fin being in 3 pieces. It's nice to know there are people who care about the hobby too.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome I had an Angel one time that was I bet on the floor for an hour maybe more he made it it was 25 years ago my big dogs knocked the tank over when we weren't home :eek:

Last edited:

Nowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'll be fine.

I found a six line wrasse on my basement carpet many years ago. He was nearly dry. Put him in front of the return output for 30 seconds in my hand. He twitched a few times and was carried by the current under a rock. Next day he looked like nothing happened.

Most vertebrates are pretty hard to kill.

Toofattofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
Do you have a plan for a cover? If not you can DIY BRS 1/4 inch mesh with window screen corners, sides and spline that can be obtained at most hardware stores. You can also design it so that when you're working on the tank you can pivot it so only one side is uncovered.

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
Do you have a plan for a cover? If not you can DIY BRS 1/4 inch mesh with window screen corners, sides and spline that can be obtained at most hardware stores. You can also design it so that when you're working on the tank you can pivot it so only one side is uncovered.

Yep exactly what I did except i didn't know BRS had a kit for this. Ended up buying the 1/4 inch clear mesh off amazon and making it after my orange spotted goby jumped out.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Toofattofish mentioned window acreen is an excellent cover material. Fish can hit it with force and bounce back into water. The screen has a "give" to it. Highly recommend. I would hear my wrasse hit my diy screen covers periodically & fall back safely into water.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back