Firefish Tail Injury, Fin Rot?

FishRFriends!=Food

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Purchased a Firefish from a LFS 3 weeks ago, has been healthy and showing no signs of disease. Last night however, I noticed that his tail fin is starting to tear? This must have occurred within the last 24hrs as I havent noticed it before. Is this an early sign of some sort of disease or infection, or an injury? The only other tank inhabitants are a small watchman goby, who he shares a cave with at night, and 4 snails. I'm in the process of setting up a 10 gallon QT anyways, so if need be he can be transferred for medication.

Thanks, Jonathan

20230906_174024.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Purchased a Firefish from a LFS 3 weeks ago, has been healthy and showing no signs of disease. Last night however, I noticed that his tail fin is starting to tear? This must have occurred within the last 24hrs as I havent noticed it before. Is this an early sign of some sort of disease or infection, or an injury? The only other tank inhabitants are a small watchman goby, who he shares a cave with at night, and 4 snails. I'm in the process of setting up a 10 gallon QT anyways, so if need be he can be transferred for medication.

Thanks, Jonathan

20230906_174024.jpg

Sharp edged fin damage is almost always caused by some mechanical injury. My guess is that watchman got tired of sharing space with it. If the aggression stops, this fin will heal pretty quickly and is unlikely to get infected.

Jay

OP
OP
F

FishRFriends!=Food

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay,

Thanks for the good news. Is there anything special I can feed to help with the healing process? The watchman goby decided he wanted to live in the firefishes cave, so I dont think I'll have an easy time moving either of them. I havent personally seen any aggression between them, could this lead to a larger issue if it continues?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay,

Thanks for the good news. Is there anything special I can feed to help with the healing process? The watchman goby decided he wanted to live in the firefishes cave, so I dont think I'll have an easy time moving either of them. I havent personally seen any aggression between them, could this lead to a larger issue if it continues?

Yes, if it continues, the damage is going to build, and at some point, it could become infected. Then, you would need to move the fish to a treatment tank and dose with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex or Maracyn 2.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back