Firefish with YWG and Dragonette?

nalawalakoala

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2025
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
phoenix
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 30 gallon hex with a pistol shrimp, yellow watchman goby, 2 clowns, and a fighting conch. I plan on adding a mandarin dragonette once my pod population is abundant, but was wondering would a fire fish do well with this? It has abundant 30ish pounds of rock work with plenty of hiding spaces, however with it being a hex the bottom isn’t too big. (Still a decent size.) I wouldn’t want the firefish to fight with the ywg or dragonette for real estate at the bottom. I was hoping it would be a rock dweller so it can take up the middle/lower space of the tank as the clowns pretty much chill up in the top half and my others chill at the sand bed. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated, thank you!

image.jpg
 
I personally never had an issue with firefish and paired dragonets in my 30g hex; the firefish stayed mid-water predominantly around a roughly 14-16in tall central rock structure. I had one small clown which left everyone well enough alone too… I’m unsure on the possible aggression of a clown pairs towards firefish.

hopefully you’re running a sump with a sizable refugium? I had a 20g tank as my sump, with around 40-50lbs of rock in it, then an overhead trickle filter packed full of 15-20lbs of rubble and an algae scrubber, cascading back into the hexagon display… I had those dragonets fat and happy for many years!
 
No sump but I have an aquaclear 110 hob refugium with live rock and macro algae with an opposite light schedule. I’m hoping this will be enough to help cultivate a pod population. i also dose phyto and zooplankton to help.
 
Just really make sure your microfauna populations are stable for an extended period of time (no random die-off from month to month), then look into the dragonet more heavily!

Some will eat prepared foods, if eased into the practice… some will REFUSE anything but live microfauna!

— i got my first dragonet too early, and promptly returned her to my local fish store when I saw that she wasn’t getting enough to eat!
 
Just really make sure your microfauna populations are stable for an extended period of time (no random die-off from month to month), then look into the dragonet more heavily!

Some will eat prepared foods, if eased into the practice… some will REFUSE anything but live microfauna!

— i got my first dragonet too early, and promptly returned her to my local fish store when I saw that she wasn’t getting enough to eat!
Yeah that’s what I’m waiting on currently haha. Prepared to wait some months
 
I tried a mandarin in a 32 gallon, and in a 40 gallon, both times they starved to death. As many pods as you think there are, a mandarin will clear that size tank in a few weeks. Good luck
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new