First 120g build First Corals in!

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intro:
Want to start off with saying it is great to be here and the knowledge I am soaking in is amazing. I have 3 freshwater tanks as of now. Starting a 4th in a week or two. My gf is not interested one bit in freshwater aquariums. I am partial to both. Freshwater is much easy to setup from my research. So I finally decided to make the jump and give her what she wants. This build will take months to complete as I am the type to go all in and do it right the first time. Unlike my first venture into freshwater. So let's begin!

To start I want to start with a FOWLR setup! The more I read up on here and see the magnificent corals I am surely going to venture into corals. But for now FOWLR. I am planning to add a pair of clownfish. Preferably young as possible. I am not sure which type of clownfish yet that's in the research. Gf loves black and white. I love all the unique features of some. I am also researching what anemones are compatible with each clownfish species. This is as far as my fish plans are. I like dottybacks, dwarf Angel's, and cardinals. I'm thinking a goby, snails, hermit crabs, and shrimp for cleanup crew.

Build:
So onto the setup! The fun parts. I have a 40g breeder that needs a good cleaning!
20200105_191518.jpg

It was planned for the DT. I have decided to also do a 40g sump. So I figure the new aquarium will be the DT. I plan 40-60lbs of dry rock. Another 40-60 lbs of live sand.
First question?
What is the recommended sand bed height? I was thinking 1.5 inches or 3 inches.

I know it's a large difference but I'm unsure of which type shallow or deep sand bed is more beneficial.

Sump and stand will be the first actual building for the setup. I will have to make my own stand so that should be exciting. Inside of the sump will be skimmer, and return sections.

Sump:
So I am leaning between two skimmers.
One: Aquamaxx FC-120
Two: Bubble Magus Elite Curve 5
Second question?
Which one do you suggest? Priced the same and about the same.

I plan to have a small section in back corner that the overflow will drain into filter socks. That runs into the skimmer section. Then a 3 baffle bubble trap leading into the biggest section the refugium. In the refugium will be dry rocks and macroalgea. Probably a refugium starter from algea barn. With a couple of algea or one not sure. Then the final bubble trap leading to return pump.
Last question in this section?
I'm leaning on the current eflux DC pump 1050gph. Any better suggestions?

I know long winded but I am trying to cover all bases. Actual sump plans later!

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright another 40b build! This should be fun to watch develop. As far as the sand bed, that is really up to you, remember that a 40b is only 16" tall so a 3" sand bed is going to to reduce your aquascaping area to about 12". I personally would stick to a sand bed in the 1"-<2" area (just enough for my yellow wrasse to bury themselves). The other questions I can't really answer because my system uses HOB equipment, but the outline for your sump seems easy enough, I know on ebay someone has some sump kits especially for the 40b maybe one has the layout your looking for.

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright another 40b build! This should be fun to watch develop. As far as the sand bed, that is really up to you, remember that a 40b is only 16" tall so a 3" sand bed is going to to reduce your aquascaping area to about 12". I personally would stick to a sand bed in the 1"-<2" area (just enough for my yellow wrasse to bury themselves). The other questions I can't really answer because my system uses HOB equipment, but the outline for your sump seems easy enough, I know on ebay someone has some sump kits especially for the 40b maybe one has the layout your looking for.
Yes they have this one but I think it is buildable for a little cheaper

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Tonight I built the stand for the 2 40g tanks. Need to wrap it in plywood. After it's wrapped up will need to build the doors and bottom shelf. Stand measurements are 50 inches long 25 inches deep. 40 inches tall. Should have no issues removing skimmer or working around in the bottom. Super excited one step closer
IMG_20200116_195741.jpg

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Not alot new. Which is very discouraging. I'm collecting small pieces to the puzzle. So it will come together soon. I found a great deal on 3 kessil a-80 and controller for 200$. I am afraid that they wont be strong enough for the tank. Also picked up a Current Eflux 1900 GPh return pump.

So onto planning the rest! I built my stand oversized. 50"x25". For a 40 breeder it will be big. But I wanted room underneath to do work in the 40 breeder below. I have since been looking for a larger display. I am looking for a 90g or a 120g. I think a 90g might be better. The 120g would just be taller. The price on used ones are not too bad just hard to find ref ready. Found a great 180g and stand for 500$ but that's alot to start with. So here's my thoughts on display.

I am going to get 2-3 current wave makers or 3 hydor pumps. I think currents will be ok since the return is a current.

I am looking into 3 skimmers now!
1: Bubble magus curve 7. 185-240g High to Light
2: Aquamazz fc-120. 180-100g High to Light
3: Ice cap k1-160. 200-120g High to Light.

That's all for now. Hopefully be wet in a month or two.

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I pulled the trigger on tank. Whole plan was a 40g breeder. I oversized the stand on purpose. Well upon more research the stand would hold a 120g. Weeks of research and I finally got the tank!! Picture of the 120g stand and 40g breeder sump! Plans to wrap stand and paint it and get it inside asap!!
IMG_20200216_163706.jpg

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

So I have almost finished the stand. Need to trim up the edges and put the doors on. It's progress! So definitely happy about that.

I have removed the trim from the top of the 120g. I know it serves a purpose. The issue was I bout used and whoever had the tank first removed the trim and it had no center brace and it was in three or four pieces so once I leak tested it bowed out 1/4 of an inch. Almost all silicone on the top removed. I plan to put 3 pieces of 1/2 inch glass like the tank is made with that measure 3 inches by 2 feet to brace the top.
IMG_20200322_183805.jpg

Next step is glass for top of tank. Glass pieces for sump baffles and overflow!

Noah_88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really good man! I’m super interested in seeing how this will turn out. Got lucky with that 120 too

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really good man! I’m super interested in seeing how this will turn out. Got lucky with that 120 too
Yes I love the tank just sucked that the center brace was removed but I hope top support will fix the issue. But a 100$ tank cannot complain too much. Calling glass shops tomorrow hopefully one is open.

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I ordered baffle kit for my sump. I was going to make the baffles myself in just about the same design. I just invisioned the hassle of cutting glad getting it just right. This was my design idea from the start. Here's a link. I asked for all black. Once it arrives will rtv silicone it in sump stay tuned.

Next I am about to order an exotic marine overflow so will be drilling the tank soon also. Just need some supports for the top!

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

So I am trying to get the right pieces of plumbing to send in order. First I was going to go with black pvc. Yeah it is a bit more expensive and it is just for looks so going white pvc. I am try to limit the use of 90° to just 2 for my return lines exiting the tank. I just feel like two 45° will take up more space. Then again better flow. I just like the simplicity of a 90°. I am hoping to just run minimum of angles and fittings. Here goes nothing.

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is section is setting now. Using e6000 adhesive to attach the acrylic pieces and then also to attach to the tank. Picture will be a little hard to see with all the reflection but will get more tomorrow when adhering into the sump tank.
IMG_20200404_200523.jpg

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another expensive day. So worth it though. I ordered a bubble Magus curve 7 elite. My exotic marine overflow shipped today. So next weekend is plumbing and drilling. I also almost have my stand complete. Ignore the craftsmanship. I'm def not a professional carpenter. I will have to trim it all to hide my workmanship! Live rock, wavepumps, light, and sand and we are a go for wetness.
IMG_20200406_195815.jpg

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also leak tested my sump. Had a little gap where I thought one side being siliconed would hold but missed some spots. Resealed them. With the setup I have a 14g refugium. So just over 10% display size. Live rock, wave pumps, light, and sand and we are wet
15861948966996905944667463466388.jpg
15861949218948120433449785397786.jpg
15861948651505236639193042867933.jpg

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edit: the removing of the rim would scares me. Editing the quote didn't work.

This would keep me awake at night! That's alot of water/weight.

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
edit: the removing of the rim would scares me. Editing the quote didn't work.

This would keep me awake at night! That's alot of water/weight.

That's just to a full status to check all seams. I will probably move weir before return down a bit to lower water level. This is just a test. That's 11" of water probably plus a bit to turn off the hose.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 30 16.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 50.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back