First Aipstatia - What should I do?

Gator_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - I noticed appearance of this Aipstatia on the side of my Trachy, which I introduced into my tank about 2 months ago..

I looked as best as I could for any other aipstatia in my tank but did not see others. Attached are a few pics…couldnt really get a pic of the Aipstatia fully extended, but its on the side of the Trachy skeleton where its flesh is curving up.

Good news is its on a spot of the Trachy that I think it would be easy to remove and scrape off (or super glue the aipstatia spot) outside of the tank. I would rinse the Trachy off in another small container of tank water before reintroducing into tank.

Question is should I do that, or leave Trachy in the tank and spot treat with Aipstatia-X and/or super glue?

72A4EC2E-D06D-4E19-AAD6-0B5927EAA014.jpeg DEF43C36-2833-4118-9B61-EADC381495DD.jpeg

TheBiochemist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I had them growing in the zoa colonies and superglued them. Although some of them were growing directly on the polyps tissue, I didnt observe any deleterious effects on the zoa health. So I believe this might work for you as well. Some say they will spread fast, so I also bought L. wurdemanni that is supposed to feed on them and I have never found new ones.

OP
OP
Gator_Reefer

Gator_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. So since its on a spot that easy to remove and treat outside of the tank…question is should I do that, OR try to treat in the tank without distrubing it?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spotted my first aiptasia in my tank the other night. two of them. ugh. Luckily they were both on the same small rock, that wasn't glued to anything and didn't have any corals attached... so I yanked it from the tank, put it in a metal 5 gallon bucket and went to town on it with a blowtorch. killed it with fire. put the rock back in the tank and it looks exactly like it did, minus the aiptasia. hopefully they are gone and I didn't just spread them.

TheBiochemist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. So since its on a spot that easy to remove and treat outside of the tank…question is should I do that, OR try to treat in the tank without distrubing it?
To superglue it, you need to take the rock with coral out of the tank. But it will retract fast and hide so you need to remember where it was.:) With Aiptasia X, you will need to apply it in the tank. The best way is to directly inject it directly to the mouth.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer one of your questions, if you can hit it with Aiptasia-X “outside” the tank, why not?... reduces the chance of spread when it explodes. Then rinse it well using tank water outside the tank before returning it to your DT.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghia nudibranches. Just bought some myself
That's a bad call for a single specimine. Aptasia is all they eat. If not removed from the tank after it gets that one, it'll starve to death. Probably also one of the most expensive options to treat one aptasia.

RedSeaReefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a bad call for a single specimine. Aptasia is all they eat. If not removed from the tank after it gets that one, it'll starve to death. Probably also one of the most expensive options to treat one aptasia.
Check local hobbyists they might have some cheap. Also if you have one aiptasia then there’s probably more already. They’ll eradicate your problem. You’ll spend more money on chemicals that only provide a temporary solution. Once they finish with your aiptasia re home them. Plain and simple

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check local hobbyists they might have some cheap. Also if you have one aiptasia then there’s probably more already. They’ll eradicate your problem. You’ll spend more money on chemicals that only provide a temporary solution. Once they finish with your aiptasia re home them. Plain and simple
If local hobbyists had them cheap that would be one thing.

Removing them from the tank is not just plain and simple. You actually have to find them before they starve and they aren't easy to find.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnifying glass and flashlight buddy. I find mine easily…
If you need a magnifying glass to find something in a reef tank, That kind of makes my point.

Glad it worked out for you. Not sure what size your or OP'S Tanks are, But I bet dollars to donuts you put five of those in my 120, neither one of us would be able to find them in a week with a magnifying glass, unless they climb up the glass.

RedSeaReefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need a magnifying glass to find something in a reef tank, That kind of makes my point.

Glad it worked out for you. Not sure what size your or OP'S Tanks are, But I bet dollars to donuts you put five of those in my 120, neither one of us would be able to find them in a week with a magnifying glass, unless they climb up the glass.
Me and you have similar sized tank. Mines over 100g and I haven’t had any trouble finding them. I find them without the magnifying glass also. That was just a suggestion in case you can’t see well for whatever reason. I’m not sure what you’re getting at lol but I’m not taking back my suggestion JS

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me and you have similar sized tank. Mines over 100g and I haven’t had any trouble finding them. I find them without the magnifying glass also. That was just a suggestion in case you can’t see well for whatever reason. I’m not sure what you’re getting at lol but I’m not taking back my suggestion JS
I never said you should.

We're all allowed to have and discuss different opinions.

I thought that's what forums mostly were for.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back