First crash

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first crash! Not what I wanted to come home from work to... My 5 year old wanted to be like me and work on the tank... wife downstairs doing laundry. Took forever to get an answer from him on what he did to cause it. Used my turkey baster and completely blew through sandbed unleashing 10 months of unstirred nutrients. This all happened within 3 hours. Lots of new salt water mixing now. Some are goners but going to save what I can...

Any advice besides water changes? And maybe keep a stirred sandbed next time? What a bummer!!

IMG_8890.JPG

IMG_8892.JPG

IMG_8893.JPG

IMG_8894.JPG

IMG_8895.JPG

IMG_8896.JPG

IMG_8897.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottled bacteria would be preferred , prime would be next.

Run gfo and carbon , more aggressively than you are now or just fresh.

Water changes.

Kind of a bummmer , but it’ll work out.

My talbot damsel did that to me once in a deep Sand bed. I was out of town.
Skimmer malfunctioned too.

Most explosive growth in acros and sps I’ve ever experienced in a 30 day period.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottled bacteria would be preferred , prime would be next.

Run gfo and carbon , more aggressively than you are now or just fresh.

Water changes.

Kind of a bummmer , but it’ll work out.

My talbot damsel did that to me once in a deep Sand bed. I was out of town.
Skimmer malfunctioned too.

Most explosive growth in acros and sps I’ve ever experienced in a 30 day period.
I forgot I have some seachem stability. I think that's similar. Better than. Nothing at least. I'll get more carbon in now.

My wife keeps telling me how surprised she is with how well I'm handling this... I can't scream and yell at my son for wanting to be like his daddy ;)

We will save what we can and bounce back!

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two year old decided to throw his sippy cup at our livng room 60” plasma tv this week. There goes another grand. I wish I could say it only gets better but also having two teenagers it doesn’t. Ha

I keep my fish food and mag cleaner put up and out of reach also. Learned that one the hard way with a tank full of the whole bottle of fish food one day. And who doesn’t like running a mag floater with sand stuck between it all over the shiny new glass. :)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to do but what you are doing now. I have seen worse and the tanks come out fine.:) Take pictures and save them for the wedding day:D

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a power head fall off my tank wall in my first tank and stir up old sand for at least 2 hours by my best guess. Could have been longer. All coral was seriously upset. Some took a couple hours, others took a couple days to bounce back. Everything looked better than ever before once it all opened back up. I put Whisper hob filter on the tank with two bio bags for 24hrs to help clear up the water. Then did a 20% water change. Hope everything works out well.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's my phone or my inexperience but I don't see anything hopeless, and 10 months isn't that old a sand bed. I would do as Salty suggested...water change and fresh carbon, and watch your parameters really closely for the next couple of weeks.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's my phone or my inexperience but I don't see anything hopeless, and 10 months isn't that old a sand bed. I would do as Salty suggested...water change and fresh carbon, and watch your parameters really closely for the next couple of weeks.
Yes, I have hope this morning. It was just a moment of panic when I first saw the tank yesterday. This morning things are looking better. Skimmer is calming down and water is clearing up.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are looking better. I may have wrongfully called this a crash. Just me panicking. Just a stressing event for everything and death for my fish :(
IMG_8907.JPG
IMG_8908.JPG
IMG_8909.JPG
IMG_8910.JPG
IMG_8911.JPG
Glad to hear! Sometimes being wrong is a good thing. I am sorry for the loss of your fish though.

kashman100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure he didn't put a little soap in there. Laundry soap maybe. Maybe just had some soap on his hands. That sand bed isn't very deep to cause that much damage so quickly.

OP
OP
Dsnakes

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure he didn't put a little soap in there. Laundry soap maybe. Maybe just had some soap on his hands. That sand bed isn't very deep to cause that much damage so quickly.
There's no telling what could've been on his hands as well! ;Hilarious

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree, plus you said the sand bed is not that old. I have had a powerhead bracket break and blow sand all ove from my 6” deep sand bed in my then 12 year old tank without any big issues. Corals were closed up and covered in sand, but that was all that I remember.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back