First DIY stand and it's 2" oversize, DOH

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did my first DIY stand for a 34" length tank. Assembled and started sanding the gaps/cracks and 1/2 radius. Today I measured the tank to double check and the tank is 32"!

Can I get some suggestions on making it look right without a 1" gap per side.

Thx

20171109_164425.jpg

20171109_164434.jpg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the depth is okay (because you only mentioned length), I would try putting another layer of plywood on the sides (inside) that basically matches the size of what you have now. It will fill in the gap on both sides. No need for one on the front if my assumption is correct.

Then make a cap that would go on both sides and the front. Cosmetically better if it would be one piece so there are no seams. It would cover the blunt ends of the boards. It might give it the illusion of a table top with a sunken middle portion the tank sits in. Only need to be 2-4 inches or so. Also creates a ledge to set things on while working at the tank.

Mock it up and see if it looks decent before actually affixing anything. I think it might look alright.

Other option would be to remove the raised panels and put a top on it, but I'm figuring you designed it this way to hide the tank trim.

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After getting my thoughts together I placed a piece of 3/4 (actually .721) plywood and it doesn' look bad. The rest of the dimensions are fine.

Thanks All!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pics of the top cap that i put on my stand to hide the top edges of the plywood skin. I believe this is like what @dbl was describing above in his post. I think this is the best way to cleanly fix your problem. Just make sure where the tank edges end up, they are still supported underneath. They should still be resting on the inside 0.5" of the original frame though.

20170522_160031.jpg

Looking down from top to show what cap looks like (sorry, this is the side cabinet top on my stand, but same concept...i guess i don't have a pic of my completed stand from the top down):
20170611_142641.jpg

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here are pics of the top cap that i put on my stand to hide the top edges of the plywood skin. I believe this is like what @dbl was describing above in his post. I think this is the best way to cleanly fix your problem. Just make sure where the tank edges end up, they are still supported underneath. They should still be resting on the inside 0.5" of the original frame though.

20170522_160031.jpg

Looking down from top to show what cap looks like (sorry, this is the side cabinet top on my stand, but same concept...i guess i don't have a pic of my completed stand from the top down):
20170611_142641.jpg

Really nice job! I thought about doing the trim and molding but I'll hold off for the next diy stand.
I did however make the inside with two 2x4's all around. I have plenty of room to thicken the side walls :)

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20170522_160031.jpg

20170611_142641.jpg
Nicely done!!!!

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone seen/done Liquid Glass on a stand (2 part epoxy)?

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4x4's are not recommended for horizontal construction they are rarely level.
With it being a small tank it may be Ok but is extremely overkill and extra added weight for no real purpose.

To fix the error you have to take it appart and cut it down unless you wanna rig it and that kind of defeats the purpose of building your own imo.

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
4x4's are not recommended for horizontal construction they are rarely level.
With it being a small tank it may be Ok but is extremely overkill and extra added weight for no real purpose.

To fix the error you have to take it appart and cut it down unless you wanna rig it and that kind of defeats the purpose of building your own imo.

It looks like a 4x4 but its actually two 2x4's with a 1x3 slapped on the back. I'll take a picture of under it so you can see where I did not fill it. Also, I went to HD and purposely looked for damaged 8-12' lumber for a reduced price. Found a 4x4 in the scrap bin so I put it to use @ 3.00 :D(4x4x8).

I am stuck on trying liquid glass as I want to diy my kitchen island, I think the stand would be a good start to get my hands wet.

2 part epoxy or 50/50 oil base and mineral spirits
Anyone got other high gloss finish recommendations?

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, Before i could not see the pictures they would not load... I see you have progressed.

Yes the stand will be a great starting point.
I've never messed with liquid glass so i cannot help you there.
I've built stands, ran electrical, put in new windows, remodeled my bathroom, kitchen and now bedroom, built engines, computer, transmission so on and so on but never ran into needing to use that what is it lol?

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol, Before i could not see the pictures they would not load... I see you have progressed.

Yes the stand will be a great starting point.
I've never messed with liquid glass so i cannot help you there.
I've built stands, ran electrical, put in new windows, remodeled my bathroom, kitchen and now bedroom, built engines, computer, transmission so on and so on but never ran into needing to use that what is it lol?

LOL.
I am sure I could get away with regular high gloss but I am going to use this as a learning experience since I do want finish gloss on the stand. It might look funny to have a super glossy stand but its practice for me :)

I could always just do a polyurethane over the paint as last resort.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't be tough to fill...

Has anyone seen/done Liquid Glass on a stand (2 part epoxy)?

Yup

That's 2 gallons of 2 part bar top epoxy, poured over a custom paint job (thanks to my daughter Kaitlyn). I framed the paint job in red oak. Epoxy is 3/8" thick over the paint, and just brushed over the oak trim.

Gives me a very stable, tough, waterproof surface around the tank. I'm _very_ happy with how it worked out.

I will say, it was a huge mess to apply. Because of the size, I had to do this in place, over carpet. Don't skimp on the plastic sheeting!

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I see it like a glass coat over whatever you're applying it too.
So you're doing this for the top of your stand and kitchen island?

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, I see it like a glass coat over whatever you're applying it too.
So you're doing this for the top of your stand and kitchen island?

Next year I plan to apply this on a new diy island, for practice I thought about doing the skin of the stand. The one thing I foresee as a major problem is I have no garage in my current place (relocated for school district).

I've been thinking about this for a few days and just realized the backyard will cause havoc to a slow cure.

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Shouldn't be tough to fill...

Yup

That's 2 gallons of 2 part bar top epoxy, poured over a custom paint job (thanks to my daughter Kaitlyn). I framed the paint job in red oak. Epoxy is 3/8" thick over the paint, and just brushed over the oak trim.

Gives me a very stable, tough, waterproof surface around the tank. I'm _very_ happy with how it worked out.

I will say, it was a huge mess to apply. Because of the size, I had to do this in place, over carpet. Don't skimp on the plastic sheeting!

Nice! its so shinny;Jawdrop;Woot!!

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update...

Went with black rustoleum gloss.

Below you can see how I doubled the thickness of the skin to shorten the overlwngth. Filled with woodyputty and more sanding.
Last picture is the set of 2x4's with skin that was mistaken for a 4x4.

20171121_152349.jpg

20171121_152412.jpg

20171121_152438.jpg

I'm scared to cut my last piece of 1 plywood since I don' have a table saw. I'l place the door outside of the stand rather than flush just to be on the safe side

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 69 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back