First Hitchhiker

Meara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
My aquarium is only about 6 months old and while I’ll admit I have a very simple set up it has been going fantastic. I mostly did the rockscape out of dry rock too keep the price down but I did put a little live rock in the tank (one piece) and a little in the refugium. I didn’t think I would get hitchhikers because of how little live rock I have. I mean it had to be slim odds. That being said I am pleased to announce my first hitchhiker. It’s reddish and almost look like a coral but I don’t think I’m that lucky. I know it’s very small but what do you think it is?
D638EF36-8BC6-4754-A40D-B3BF0332A074.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,apstasia ,scrape off rack ,remove,keep eyes open for more:)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If scraping off, , , Make sure you get the entire base. Using a credit card works easily, otherwise using a syringe, inject lemon juice into the center core of the aptasia

opreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, that is apstasia. That isnt the worst thing to have in your tank however DONT scrape it off in your tank as it can squirt spores out under duress. Take that rack out if you can and then scrape it off then rinse it off thoroughly and then you can put it back into your tank. Nothing to panic over Ive had two spores of it in my tank since Ive had my tank and Ive never touched them and they havent split or anything so nothing too serious here! Happy reefing!

OP
OP
Meara

Meara

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s less fun, and the internet says they might take over. I think I have one in my top tank too. If how do I get them out. The one in the sump will be easy I can just pull the egg crate and clean it. The top one is on my rock and I’m reluctant to pull it out. Any ideas?
Also are they really a type of anemone?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't scrape it as it would probably release a lot of spores or whatever. I'd inject like @vetteguy53081 mentioned.

I once added a frag to my dt that I quarantined for two months. There was no aptasia I could see during the whole qt. The day after adding the frag, an aptasia popped up out of nowhere.

I injected aptasia-x, it disappeared, all was well. A week later, another one popped up in it's place. Same process, same result. About 9 months after that, I started seeing a few smaller aptasia pop up through out the tank. I've always combated it but it's kind of become a part of my weekly maintenance and is a nuisance. I ended up getting nudis to completely eradicate it.

Even with injecting, it's hard to ensure the syringe got the lemon juice/whatever right into their mouth. Most will be able to survive it.

I know others have had success with a majano wand, I've never personally tried it however.

Be careful scraping.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I wouldn't scrape it as it would probably release a lot of spores or whatever. I'd inject like @vetteguy53081 mentioned.

I once added a frag to my dt that I quarantined for two months. There was no aptasia I could see during the whole qt. The day after adding the frag, an aptasia popped up out of nowhere.

I injected aptasia-x, it disappeared, all was well. A week later, another one popped up in it's place. Same process, same result. About 9 months after that, I started seeing a few smaller aptasia pop up through out the tank. I've always combated it but it's kind of become a part of my weekly maintenance and is a nuisance. I ended up getting nudis to completely eradicate it.

Even with injecting, it's hard to ensure the syringe got the lemon juice/whatever right into their mouth. Most will be able to survive it.

I know others have had success with a majano wand, I've never personally tried it however.

Be careful scraping.
Wand did not impress me

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good advice, don't panic like I did, I found some in my fuge on the chaeto which I was given , pulled the clumps out they were sat on, now I just manage it.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good advice, don't panic like I did, I found some in my fuge on the chaeto which I was given , pulled the clumps out they were sat on, now I just manage it.
Filefish or manual,pull with h2o2 on base after

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 169 72.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back