First ICP need advice.

maddox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. This is my first ICP from Fauna Marin.

A think results ar not so bad just lack of trace elements and I am curious about Silicon? Is it so bad? I am using RO with two DI mixed resins, TDS 0, but still getting SI, about 0.0352 mg/l (result from my RO ICP).

Should I change one resin to anion and other to cation? Or what would be suggestions?

71F00024-992B-454D-BB49-C565D2DF7521.png

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say I've ever worried about silicone. FWIW here's an ICP test on this system maintained wiht tap water if you want to compare.

Attachments

• ATI 90 PBD Tank.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • ATI 90 PBD Tap.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 22

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see it at the moment on my phone, but Si is likely present as silicate, and is not a concern unless diatoms are present at problematic levels.

OP
OP
M

maddox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see it at the moment on my phone, but Si is likely present as silicate, and is not a concern unless diatoms are present at problematic levels.
Yes in ICP its named Silicon its measured 0.49 and range is 0.1-0.2.
Silicon :
0.494 mg/l
329% of the ideal value
Silicate :
1.48 mg/l
329% of the ideal value

No diatoms at all, I am just struggling more than month with red cyano. And from sand almost disappeared, more left on rocks but now on sand I have green cyano I guess, or maybe its from silicate?

My LFS told me that I need to change RO to better system, while silicon can be bad for my corals. Is it true?
Would be nice if you can check my all ICP results when you can :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not true that silicate is bad for corals in any way that I have heard of, and your level is no concern.

I’ll check the full icp when I’m on a pc.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes in ICP its named Silicon its measured 0.49 and range is 0.1-0.2.
Silicon :
0.494 mg/l
329% of the ideal value
Silicate :
1.48 mg/l
329% of the ideal value

No diatoms at all, I am just struggling more than month with red cyano. And from sand almost disappeared, more left on rocks but now on sand I have green cyano I guess, or maybe its from silicate?

My LFS told me that I need to change RO to better system, while silicon can be bad for my corals. Is it true?
Would be nice if you can check my all ICP results when you can :)

I dose silica in my tank to grow sponges and snacks for my zooplankton

Reef Labs Inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. This is my first ICP from Fauna Marin.

A think results ar not so bad just lack of trace elements and I am curious about Silicon? Is it so bad? I am using RO with two DI mixed resins, TDS 0, but still getting SI, about 0.0352 mg/l (result from my RO ICP).

Should I change one resin to anion and other to cation? Or what would be suggestions?

71F00024-992B-454D-BB49-C565D2DF7521.png
Silicates are not bad for coral, and are present in varying concentrations in natural seawater. They are actually necessary for clams and sponges if you intend to keep either. Apart from the fact that a well functioning RO/DI system shouldn't pass any silicate, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. However, do keep watch over it to see if it increases over time.

However, the many deficiencies in trace elements is something to be concerned about. I routinely see ICP test results of tanks with various common issues exhibiting deficiencies in trace elements. It's a relatively easy issue to correct, and very often yields big gains.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back