First icp test, could use some help

M4sonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my waterbox peninsula mini 25 just turned 6 months old and i sent off my first icp.
These are my results.
Screenshot_2022-10-03-17-10-48-26_af9fb6078b577243a0b5efd246a6cb03.jpg
Screenshot_2022-10-03-17-10-39-24_af9fb6078b577243a0b5efd246a6cb03.jpg

Can anyone help me make some sense of this? what matters, what doesn't?
No clue how i got vanadium or aluminum in the tank.
i currently dose all for reef,use seachem carbon and thats it.

Tought it would be wise to get an experienced set of eyes on this before i start going gung ho on my tank :)

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What matters will be based on the tank you want to run. Is this fish only? Is this a true reef tank with a mix of coral and fish? Iodine for example is important for shrimp and being zero they'll struggle.

These ICP tests can lead one astray so be careful on that. The main ones to keep in mind are: Alk, Calcium, Mag, Nitrate, Phosphate. If you have those in line you are winning as a beginner. I would recommend testing these weekly if you're doing coral. Water changes will help the trace elements and depending on what you stock in the tank maybe that's all you need for trace elements. A softie tank for example. If you did a bunch of SPS though you'll have to dose trace elements somehow.

So in short, if I knew what your plan was I would be able to better point you in the right direction on some options.

OP
OP
M

M4sonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well at the moment its mixed reef with a bunch of frags (no large pieces).
zoa,stylophora,Duncan,mushroom,caulastrea, digitata,blasto and a euphylia.
i have 5 small fish and i got the parameters you mentioned under control at about the 4 month mark.
8.5dkh
420cal
1350mag
5 nitrate
0.05 phosphate

i do only do 1 15% water change a month since I'm low on nutrients and cant really feed any more than i do.
i test nitrate, phosphate and alk 2 times a week and dose both nitrate and phosphate as needed (ive been needing to dose less and less over time)
i test the other parameters every other week. and dose all for reef to keep dkh stable. (4.2ml daily with the afr being diluted 1:2)

I'm trying not to get wrapped up in number chasing but i assume the low elements are because of my monthly water changes. i am hesitant to do more waterchanges since i would have to dose more nutrients back in the system.(and my tank looks fine with the regimen,i am in the final throws of the ugly stage right now)

i was considering dosing Tropic Marin plus np (and eventually bacto balance) but not sure if i should since i have no skimmer.
i am also considering dosing iodine since i do keep 2 hermits and 1 cleaner shrimp.

For now i did 2x25% waterchanges just to get the aluminum down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

M4sonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so i just discovered something, i noticed a bunch of condensation on my D-D aquarium cover (which is made of aluminum an netting) and i noticed some bubbles under the paint of the frame.
could the condensation be sitting on the ends where the aluminum profiles were cut and drip back in to the tank?

Back