First Official Chalice Growout on Reef2reef!!!

jordan3548

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm just wondering reading through posts I see he was in the military I wonder if he got shipped out to Iraq? My Brother N law went in March and it seems he hasnt been on since then. May be why he hasnt posted on here in some time. I know alot of people went in March

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man...just spent a few minutes looking over this thread...this idea seemed decent, but now in hindsight, it seems pretty awful.

The money that was spent to go in on the coral could have been put into a savings account, accumulated some interest, and could have purchased the frag by now :)

pwoller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually have a tad too much trust in people but this one is really starting to get frustrating. At the least the people that bought into this deserve reasonable updates.

fsn77

Dad of 2 future hobbyists
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last online: 02/16/10, no photo updates in 10+ months... I feel for everyone who chipped in for this growout...

A growout can be a really nice thing, but I fear this one may have been a little too ambitious considering how many people are expecting frags and how long it takes to grow these chalices.

If the leader of the growout was sent overseas as a part of his military service, I have nothing but respect for that. I truly wish that to be the reason for the extended silence and lack of updates, and sincerely hope all is well with him.

I do not intend this to be a negative comment... More of advice to anyone buying into a future growout of any kind... I'd suggest knowing how stable the leader of the growout's life / career situation is before buying in. In a situation where it is likely to take a year or more for the growout to be completed, a growout where the leader may have to pick up on a moment's notice due to their career can create a less than ideal situation in the event that a sudden move or call to duty occurs (as those that have bought into this growout have discovered). If you're going to send money to join a growout, don't be afraid to ask those sort of questions. There's certainly a lot of trust involved in any growout situation and anyone's life can change suddenly for any number of reasons, but it's a little easier to trust things will go well if there's some assurance the holder of the coral is in a relatively stable place in their life.

Best of luck to all involved in this growout -- I hope everything is in fact ok.

Mr E Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in another growout with the my miami and it's doing very well. Most of the other frags have enough eyes to frag but the miami is still a ways away from meeting Mr Inland. Fortunately the head dude is responsible and gives us monthly updates with pics :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am going to stay out of this but I did email southstar66 to come to this thread and let you all know something. That is all I can do.

fishypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Karma is a motha!

Why is this guy still a Mod if he hasn't posted in over 10 months AND he is dishonest? Seems like this guy needs the ole ban stick, not a mod position.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys. He was a mod but is no longer one. If I can remember correctly he was when the thread started but not sure when that stopped. If he was, he would have the "TEAM R2R" Like the rest of us have. The word "moderator" is a title that you can customize to say whatever you want. I'll bring that to Rev's attention so that can be taken off since he no longer is. I just wanted to clarify.

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about doing a growout for a my miami chalice. Anybody interested? :)

NanoNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about doing a growout for a my miami chalice. Anybody interested? :)

I still think grow outs are a good idea. You just have to trust/know the person who is doing it.

Thanks for the clarification as well Paul.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First off he is not a mod. Second he sent the frag to someone else in the grow out. He is no longer a part of it. I haven't heard from him in forever myself. Refrain from knee jerk posting.

Speg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think grow outs are a good idea. You just have to trust/know the person who is doing it.

Thanks for the clarification as well Paul.

I was being serious :p I don't want to pay for the whole price of the my miami, but I sure want one... I even know a store that I bet can give me it for half of what they normally go for...I also hear the my miami is a fast grower. I'm not going off to war and I feel like I know pretty darn well what I'm doing. :) I could basically take what went wrong with this grow-out and correct those issues when I do mine.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back