[First Post] Opinions NEEDED on my Aquascape

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

This is my first post. I have had my Coralife Biocube 32 running for around 2 months now. The nitrogen cycle has completed and now I have moved on to the ugly stage, as you may see with some hair algae and diatoms (diatoms just started forming in the past few days). But that’s not the point.

I need some constructive criticism, praise, comments, etc on my aquascape. I’m going to glue it together soon, but before, I just want to make sure this looks fine.

Also, I want to get a Fire shrimp (which need dark spaces) and I feel this scape doesn’t have many dark/hiding places for it. One of my last pictures I took is me brainstorming some ideas for new rocks. I also want to make the scape taller so I can get rid of a lot of the negative space in this tank.

Tell me what you think!
Thanks.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg B6611F59-3073-4F87-A44D-D23F7CC2A946.jpeg

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know traditionally I wouldn’t bump this early after it’s been posted but my post had to be approved first so this bumped it down. I don’t know if this is common or just a new member thing or what. Pardon my lack of knowledge.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Looks great! If I were going to do anything different I would add rocks and make it taller. It's what I would have done differently with my tank.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Looks great! If I were going to do anything different I would add rocks and make it taller. It's what I would have done differently with my tank.
Thanks. Yeah I hope I can find a good piece to make it taller without making the scape not look as good.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some branch rock would be an easy addition to do. It's most likely what I'll add if I pull the trigger.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have some small rocks left over, islands are nice. Places to put invasive corals.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I meant lol but taller it would look good in the background and add depth / place to put coral or macro

Attachments

• 01ABBEDC-59D1-40F9-9519-66718632B1E1.png
    01ABBEDC-59D1-40F9-9519-66718632B1E1.png
    644.3 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have some small rocks left over, islands are nice. Places to put invasive corals.
I plan to put a pulsing Xenia on the island I have right now but I plan to get another one for a long polyp flowerpot or something that is interesting that’s invasive.

mjleffler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on another island! Along with invasive coral another island could be a good place to put coral that extends long sweeper tentacles

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something to fill the height ( treee branch wood for reef ) or nice tree rock maybe install a magnet on the side to hold a rock up, it’s nice just needs something for height
Do you mean pieces of rock similar to this to go on top?
This is what I meant lol but taller it would look good in the background and add depth / place to put coral or macro
Are you saying it would be a good idea to put one of those on the back wall to place some corals on?

Attachments

• 13FDCB51-4DB4-419D-9A2A-32BAD29EA6AB.jpeg
    13FDCB51-4DB4-419D-9A2A-32BAD29EA6AB.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 62

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean pieces of rock similar to this to go on top?

Are you saying it would be a good idea to put one of those on the back wall to place some corals on?

Personally , yes I think those rocks would loook very good and provide a lot of options for coral due to height can do sps pretty nicely, the picture I sent works to if you want to do it cheaper, it is dead coral not artificial so you don’t need to worry about toxins

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please note I’m providing examples , they have huge pieces available the ones I listed are small just to give you something to search for

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally , yes I think those rocks would loook very good and provide a lot of options for coral due to height can do sps pretty nicely, the picture I sent works to if you want to do it cheaper, it is dead coral not artificial so you don’t need to worry about toxins
Ok I like that idea of the reef tree rocks to go on top. Do you think that I should have some proped up against the back wall or just have it parallel with all the other rocks? It would be cool to have it like a shelf but at the same time my nitrates could skyrocket if they’re against the back wall.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I like that idea of the reef tree rocks to go on top. Do you think that I should have some proped up against the back wall or just have it parallel with all the other rocks? It would be cool to have it like a shelf but at the same time my nitrates could skyrocket if they’re against the back wall.
I would always leave yourself 2 or 3 inches of clearance around the tank for cleaning

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any suggestions for creating a cave for the shrimp? I did a drawing in my first comment putting an arch in front of the center rock. Only downside is that I’m losing a ton of spots for reef plugs.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any suggestions for creating a cave for the shrimp? I did a drawing in my first comment putting an arch in front of the center rock. Only downside is that I’m losing a ton of spots for reef plugs.
Adding on to this: I’m currently thinking of getting a little smaller arch like I have in the top right to create a cave. What do y’all think?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back