First proper build, AU Cade 900

sim2142

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as i liked listening to gurgling while trying to sleep and having bright blue leds burn my retinas all day its now time to set up a new tank and keep it as far away from my bedroom as possible. This is my second tank and the only one i havent just randomly thrown rocks and fish into.

Found a Cade 900 because it was the only tank with an aluminium stand and i didnt want a repeat of the previous cabinet warping (imagine if reef companies used pressure treated wood instead of mdf, problem solved?). I also went with a 3 inch coral sand bottom as my previous tank was bare and i wanted something different which still allowed for high flow.

I decided to follow a theme and design my own aqua scape. I used a variety of rock plates glued together with coral cement to create a continuous shelving/plating style rock.

IMG_E6688.JPG

IMG_6689.JPG

IMG_6691.JPG

IMG_6690.JPG

I used plastic grids on the glass under each of the two feet to raise it to the height of the sandbed and keep it supported.

I ended up replacing all the plumbing with 3 oversized vinyl tubes, i added a valve and used the second emergency drain to run a herbie style overflow which now made it near silent. Hopefully they can look nice for a while before getting coated with algae.

IMG_6773.JPG

Couldnt really work out how to mount the light so i just looped its hangars over an Ecotech rail.

IMG_6766.JPG

Now to painfully wait till it cycles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sim2142

sim2142

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't the Cades come with really good stock plumbing?
Previous owner used modified pvc plumbing so it just seemed simpler and more efficient for the flow to replace it with larger diameter vinyl as there are no right angle bends. Only downside i can think of is the sump refugium light creating algae growth in the tubes possibly? hopefully not enough to restrict any flow or warrant extra cleaning.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back