First Reef Tank Build

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally made it to the point where I was able to start my first ever Reef Tank. I have been in fresh water for years and the idea of a reef tank was always something I wanted to do but I didnt have the funds or knowledge. About a year ago, while in my LFS, I decided to give it a go. I knew from there I had a lot of research to do first so the next 6 months was simply that, spending time online watching videos (mostly #AskBRSTV) and reading about the different aspects of building a marine ecosystem in my home. At around 6 months I started buying components starting with a gift. 20L for the sump for my birthday from my girlfriend (little did she know what this would turn into). Next was the 40b, plumbing, sicce syncra 2, tunze nanostream powerhead, 2 125 watt Ehime Jager heaters and some testing equipment. I also decided I would build my own stand. Tonight, I finally put water in the tank! Here are a some progression pictures of getting to this point.
0128191200.jpg

First attempt at the stand. I was not comfortable with how sturdy it was.

0719191650a.jpg

Thought I likes this aquascape but after I finished the stand it changed significantly.

1012192121.jpg

The tank in place and stand mostly finished. The stand needed some touch up and final trim attachment after tank was in place on stand.

1012192121a.jpg

Better picture of the aquascape. Lots of caves and tunnels. I really like the large canyon in the middle.

1012192307.jpg

And finally tonight with water and sand finally in the tank. Second batch of water is being made now. Def decided im going to upgrade my water mixing to have capacity for 100% water change. Currently just have 1, 38 gallon brute fed by a BRS 5 stage RODI. Tomorrow will finish the fill and start the cycle with biospira and fed with Dr. Tims ammonium chloride dosed to track better. Tested with redsea test kits.

Next purchases will be 2 AI primes, 20 high for quarentine, and a full redsea marine care test kit.

OP
OP
J

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bean animal overflow. I used 1" drains and 3/4 returns. I have a Sicce Syncra Silent 2 for the return pump but im liking the varios more amd more.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be a great build thread. The stand is very nice. I also love the canyon. But the coolest thing is how you got your sump! Brilliant. Can't wait to see this project with livestock.

OP
OP
J

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally made it to the point where I was able to start my first ever Reef Tank. I have been in fresh water for years and the idea of a reef tank was always something I wanted to do but I didnt have the funds or knowledge. About a year ago, while in my LFS, I decided to give it a go. I knew from there I had a lot of research to do first so the next 6 months was simply that, spending time online watching videos (mostly #AskBRSTV) and reading about the different aspects of building a marine ecosystem in my home. At around 6 months I started buying components starting with a gift. 20L for the sump for my birthday from my girlfriend (little did she know what this would turn into). Next was the 40b, plumbing, sicce syncra 2, tunze nanostream powerhead, 2 125 watt Ehime Jager heaters and some testing equipment. I also decided I would build my own stand. Tonight, I finally put water in the tank! Here are a some progression pictures of getting to this point.
0128191200.jpg

First attempt at the stand. I was not comfortable with how sturdy it was.

0719191650a.jpg

Thought I likes this aquascape but after I finished the stand it changed significantly.

1012192121.jpg

The tank in place and stand mostly finished. The stand needed some touch up and final trim attachment after tank was in place on stand.

1012192121a.jpg

Better picture of the aquascape. Lots of caves and tunnels. I really like the large canyon in the middle.

1012192307.jpg

And finally tonight with water and sand finally in the tank. Second batch of water is being made now. Def decided im going to upgrade my water mixing to have capacity for 100% water change. Currently just have 1, 38 gallon brute fed by a BRS 5 stage RODI. Tomorrow will finish the fill and start the cycle with biospira and fed with Dr. Tims ammonium chloride dosed to track better. Tested with redsea test kits.

Next purchases will be 2 AI primes, 20 high for quarentine, and a full redsea marine care test kit.
Hello! So tonight I got the rest of the water in and the tank is finally up and running! It felt awesome to hit the switch to turn on my return. I added all of my bio spiral and a couple hours later dosed 2.5 ml of Dr. Tims Ammonia Chloride. I loged my dosing into the spreadsheet I built to keep track of my tank parameters and tomorrow I will check the ammonia again. I also put the bio wheel from my quarentine tank in the display to seed ot with my nitrifying bacteria so next weekend I cant start my first quarentine. I am doing a 20 high with a HOB filter and small powerhead and heater. There will be some pvc as well. My first tank inhabants will be a fancy snowflake and a black skunk clown (or something along those lines). They will be in quarentine for a month. 3 weeks of cuperamine and then 1 week of prazipro. First priority is getting them to eat before I dose any meds though.

Id like to end each pf my posts on this thread with a question to better my knowledge and hopefully spark some conversation about best practices and what people have seen success with. So this week's questions; what filtration does everyone like to use in their quarentine tank? Also, what are the prefered foods for clownfish

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
def following along. Love the rock work!

Im curious to see everyones answers to your question but for me i just setup a 10g with a small HOB filter. It has a sponge filter and a small bag of seachem matrix. for that size tank my thoughts are that i can keep a bag of matrix in my display tank and when i need to setup a qt tank i can pull a fresh bag out and have an instant QT. i dont think the the matrix will really be reusable so my setups a little wasteful but its what i have for now.

Good luck with the build!

OP
OP
J

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! So tonight I got the rest of the water in and the tank is finally up and running! It felt awesome to hit the switch to turn on my return. I added all of my bio spiral and a couple hours later dosed 2.5 ml of Dr. Tims Ammonia Chloride. I loged my dosing into the spreadsheet I built to keep track of my tank parameters and tomorrow I will check the ammonia again. I also put the bio wheel from my quarentine tank in the display to seed ot with my nitrifying bacteria so next weekend I cant start my first quarentine. I am doing a 20 high with a HOB filter and small powerhead and heater. There will be some pvc as well. My first tank inhabants will be a fancy snowflake and a black skunk clown (or something along those lines). They will be in quarentine for a month. 3 weeks of cuperamine and then 1 week of prazipro. First priority is getting them to eat before I dose any meds though.

Id like to end each pf my posts on this thread with a question to better my knowledge and hopefully spark some conversation about best practices and what people have seen success with. So this week's questions; what filtration does everyone like to use in their quarentine tank? Also, what are the prefered foods for clownfish

OP
OP
J

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Its been a quiet couple weeks on this build. The cycle is going well ammonia has been dropping to 0 within about 6 to 12 hours after dosing up to 2.0. I just got the rest of my testing kits today from BRS. I went with Redsea for Nitrate and Nitrite and Hanna checkers for Phosphate and Alk. My numbers for tonight are as follows;

Temp: 82.9 (lowered this a smidge)
Ammonia: 0 (dosed up again)
Salinity: 1.024 (want to go up .001)
Nitrate: 50
Nitrite: 1
Alk: 6.7 Dkh
Phosphate: .12

I havent bought calcium or Mag yet because I have no corals yet to consume anything so im not particularly worried about them.

My quarentine is up and running waiting on its first batch of fish. I just have to find the time to drive to the store I want to buy from. Over all I think im doing alright. I want to see my nitrate and nitrite come down some. Currently a water pitcher is my ATO but the Tunze 3155 is gping to be a purchase very soon because I hate having to fill it up a couple times a day.

My question for this post is how much water does everyones tanks evaporate out a day? Mine is about 3/4 of a gallon.

OP
OP
J

JD2716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! Minor update, my first fish came today! I got a black and white clown and a black ice clown! Theyre both doing well at the moment they both just went in quarentine so we will se ehow the next few days go! The display is doing good as well. Just watching parameters till my clowns are ready to upgrade!

1109191013a.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back