First saltwater tank! (29 gallon tall)

Reefdancer.300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I'm 17, and this is my first saltwater aquarium. My dad has 2, but he manages those mostly himself. So this is going to be my first real experience with it.
20200708_092037.jpg

This is where it's at right now, got it home late last night after picking up the tank, and set everything, trying to get the fish in there as quickly as possible because it was a long 2 hour drive home

It came with two fish, the clownfish pictured, and what the guy who sold it to us called a yellow damsel. Its having some salinity trouble (posted about that in another thread), but doing much better.

As you can see from the picture I haven't gotten any kind of aquascaping done just yet. The main goal for right now is to scrub the glass and get all that algae off, and vacuum the sand which I am going to do later tonight. This is my first tank, and also my first build thread, all advice is welcome and very much appreciated.

Edit: it also came with an urchin, he is in the bottom left of the picture, but he hasn't moved since we got him home, so i am not sure if he is alive.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tenor_10538504_mediumgif_136250450477181.gif

Congrats. I would scrub those rocks out of the tank. Makes life much easier.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, will do. I'm going to take them out later as well to vacuum the sand, so i'll do that while i have them out. Thanks!
I would do it in a two step process. The water from the sand I would brush in that. Make a little extra clean sw and rinse the rocksin that. Than put back in the tank.

OP
OP
R

Reefdancer.300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the rockscape set up! The salinity is down to more normal levels (around 1.026).

I also put one of my dads zoanthid frags in there to see how it grows, as well as another light because just the one it came with didnt seem like enough.

Side note, when I bought the tank the person called the damsel a yellow damsel. Pretty sure that's not a thing, does anyone know what that actually is?
20200709_185059.jpg

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see any entries for a yellow damsel, and that doesn't really look like the pictures of a lemon damsel. Anyone else know what it might be?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 57 41.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 49.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back