First sump , startup problem! Help

Tropicreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new here, I just set up my new aquarium,it's my first tank with sump. I was afraid of it..I have a problem with water level regulation. When I turn on the pump, the water drops so I have to turn it off. The pump turned off, the water flowed into the sump so that the water level in the main tank dropped 2 cm below the comb( weir) . What I did setting up my tank -
1.I filled tank up to the comb , the overflow box was full.
2. Sump filled so water in last return pump chamber - is 10 centimeters above the pump.
3 I turned on bonly return pump , skimmer and rest of equipment I haven't turned on yet.

Reducing the pump power change nothing, I tried also use drain valve , but it doesn't change nothing in my case - bause I have no experience my tank and sump are well done by professionals , so I know it must be my mistake.
Please help It would be best to tell me what to do step by step because I am completely clueless

Last edited:

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I am understanding but it sounds like your sump and/or return chamber are too small. It needs to be large enough to not over flow when the pump is off and hold enough water to bring the display tank level up without dropping the sump too low.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome 2R2R!
Sounds like return pump is running to fast for the weir.
When to fast, the water will leave the sump faster than it can be returned to the sump.
Sump will suck air, DT will run high.
As the pump output slows, the water level increases in sump and decreases in DT.
You need to find the balance.

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water will drop levels in the sump as the display fills up.. not sure the size of the tank or sump but you normally run the sump around 50% capacity to allow for a power outage and back flow from the display till it reaches below your weir.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the estimated volume of the DT and the Sump+ skimmer versus pump output. Is the pump a DC with cintroller.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it just sound's like you need more water in the sump. If the sump is too close to overflowing when the return pump is off to add more water then the sump is too small or not divided correctly for your size tank.
This sounds exactly like what I experience if I forget to fill my ato and the total volume gets too low to keep the pump submerged.

OP
OP
T

Tropicreeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome 2R2R!
Sounds like return pump is running to fast for the weir.
When to fast, the water will leave the sump faster than it can be returned to the sump.
Sump will suck air, DT will run high.
As the pump output slows, the water level increases in sump and decreases in DT.
You need to find the balancei just had to less
I'm new here, I just set up my new aquarium,it's my first tank with sump. I was afraid of it..I have a problem with water level regulation. When I turn on the pump, the water drops so I have to turn it off. The pump turned off, the water flowed into the sump so that the water level in the main tank dropped 2 cm below the comb( weir) . What I did setting up my tank -
1.I filled tank up to the comb , the overflow box was full.
2. Sump filled so water in last return pump chamber - is 10 centimeters above the pump.
3 I turned on bonly return pump , skimmer and rest of equipment I haven't turned on yet.

Reducing the pump power change nothing, I tried also use drain valve , but it doesn't change nothing in my case - bause I have no experience my tank and sump are well done by professionals , so I know it must be my mistake.
Please help It would be best to tell me what to do step by step because I am completely clueless
To me it just sound's like you need more water in the sump. If the sump is too close to overflowing when the return pump is off to add more water then the sump is too small or not divided correctly for your size tank.
This sounds exactly like what I experience if I forget to fill my ato and the total volume gets too low to keep the pump submerged.
Problem solved , I added 10 litres of water and everything is running ! thank you for help.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back