First Tank - 25g Waterbox Peninsula

hobie61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely recommend getting an ink bird. Heaters are the number one product to fail so having that safety is a must. It will save you plenty of heartbreak in the future
the inkbirds (with the wifi connection) are really helpful for monitoring the temp when away from your home, especially on hot days.

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is such an inspiration! By pure coincidence, I just watched your YouTube video about setting up this tank haha. Didn’t even occur to me that these were the same builds.

hobie61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on making an update video! In the 1st chamber(the water inlet) I have a filter floss holder with floss, and I built a tower out of egg crate to hold bioballs. In the middle I have my heater, Flow pump magnet that I sealed in a baggie, and the black sponge that came with the tank at the bottom. Lately I've been trying to get my nitrates down so have some purigen. In the return chamber I have my pump and ATO sensor.

The heater went bad so I'm actually using an old one I dug up. They sent me a replacement that I'm going to swap back to next week. Other than that the corals have been looking decent, just have a cyano outbreak I'm trying to deal with.
just thoughts, watch the sponge that came with the tank. I had forgotten about it, and about 7 months in caused me all types of problems due to being plugged up. still paying for the algae blooms because of it a long time afterwards. I got rid of it and more aware of how quickly things can plug up in the chambers. hope helps.

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just thoughts, watch the sponge that came with the tank. I had forgotten about it, and about 7 months in caused me all types of problems due to being plugged up. still paying for the algae blooms because of it a long time afterwards. I got rid of it and more aware of how quickly things can plug up in the chambers. hope helps.
Also, what’s the benefit of sealing the magnet in a bag?

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the inkbirds (with the wifi connection) are really helpful for monitoring the temp when away from your home, especially on hot days.

I've been looking into them, but have seen a lot of mixed reviews! What heating element do you use with it?

Thanks! That's a great thing to note. I try to squish mine about once a month or so to make sure it doesn't plug up. Do you run anything in place or just have you only run a sock/floss?

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is such an inspiration! By pure coincidence, I just watched your YouTube video about setting up this tank haha. Didn’t even occur to me that these were the same builds.

Haha thanks! We have definitely learned a lot since that first video, but hopefully, they will help prevent others from making the same mistakes I do!

Forgot to ask, what coral is featured in the photo that ends with 144732?

It's actually a branching type of GSP. It encrusts about 2-3 inches and then goes up! It was hard to track down because a lot of the branching I saw grew very different, but was one of the main reasons I started a reef tank. When it gets big enough to start fragging I'd be more than happy to hook you up!

Also, what’s the benefit of sealing the magnet in a bag?

I was reading up a lot about the Nero 3 and the reason I put it in the bag is the magnet part isn't designed to be submerged. A LOT of people do it, but just to be extra safe I heat-sealed a small bag around it. I need to look more into a better way of sealing it or just let it get wet.

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from vacation and the cyano outbreak has progressed. I've been dosing microbactor7 and normal waterchanges targeting the manual removal. On top of the red there's also a gray that's almost translucent over some of the rocks and GSP. Debating using some chemiclean to try to get rid of it if there isn't progress in the next few weeks. Any recommendations?

20220910_122658.jpg
20220910_122705.jpg
20220910_122727.jpg

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from vacation and the cyano outbreak has progressed. I've been dosing microbactor7 and normal waterchanges targeting the manual removal. On top of the red there's also a gray that's almost translucent over some of the rocks and GSP. Debating using some chemiclean to try to get rid of it if there isn't progress in the next few weeks. Any recommendations?

20220910_122658.jpg
20220910_122705.jpg
20220910_122727.jpg
After running tests my nitrates are still high and my phosphates were low. I dose some phosphates to try to balance them out. After reading the imbalance can be the cause for the cyano. Do you think it would be worth it to add in more biomedia?

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing some Phosphates to try to get my levels up from 0.01 to about 0.1. So far I've added about 0.1 over the past few days and I'm only testing at 0.02 all using a Hanna ultra low phosphate checker. After the 0.02 reading, I went in with a stronger siphon to manually remove as much as I could get. It worked decently but took a lot of sand with it.

Attachments

• 20220917_131502.jpg
    20220917_131502.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They cyano is slowing going down! The microbactor 7 and phosphate dosing has been helping!!!! It definitely seems like the issue was the phosphates as shortly after starting to dose they went to 0 somehow. Especially after dosing the posphates my corals have been looking better, mostly the toadstool stopped being dramatic For a whike it would be all slumped over
20221003_171935.jpg

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They cyano is slowing going down! The microbactor 7 and phosphate dosing has been helping!!!! It definitely seems like the issue was the phosphates as shortly after starting to dose they went to 0 somehow. Especially after dosing the posphates my corals have been looking better, mostly the toadstool stopped being dramatic For a whike it would be all slumped over
20221003_171935.jpg
My understanding is that soft corals like toadstools love dirtier water with excess nitrates and phosphates to draw from. So it does not surprise me that your softie is looking healthier!

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The GSP growing vertically is one of the coolest things I've ever seen! Where did you find it?

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that soft corals like toadstools love dirtier water with excess nitrates and phosphates to draw from. So it does not surprise me that your softie is looking healthier!
yeah and finally having enough of each is helping a lot! Even my other corals are doing better! Now I just need to cyano to finally stop spreading.

The GSP growing vertically is one of the coolest things I've ever seen! Where did you find it?
Same! It was the main reason I started a tank. It's a type of branching GSP that will encrust about 2-3" and then just grows up. I'm happy to hook you up with some once It gets big enough to frag!

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad Update: I think I have confirmation my peppermint shrimp have been beating up my LPS. I've suspected it in the past, but overnight the small head disappeared with residual tissue and now thi morning half the large head is gone. The flesh line was previously good and it was gaining size :( it also was recently caught picking at my acans, but i thought it was just taking food from its mouth until a head dead there too. Anyone else having issues with peppermint shrimp?
20221004_143025.jpg

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad Update: I think I have confirmation my peppermint shrimp have been beating up my LPS. I've suspected it in the past, but overnight the small head disappeared with residual tissue and now thi morning half the large head is gone. The flesh line was previously good and it was gaining size :( it also was recently caught picking at my acans, but i thought it was just taking food from its mouth until a head dead there too. Anyone else having issues with peppermint shrimp?
20221004_143025.jpg
There is some belief that Peppermint Shrimp nibble on corals that are already suffering from disease or damage. So don’t rush to judgment just yet. Is it possible that there could be a more serious issue at hand that you haven’t yet observed?

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some belief that Peppermint Shrimp nibble on corals that are already suffering from disease or damage. So don’t rush to judgment just yet. Is it possible that there could be a more serious issue at hand that you haven’t yet observed?
Yeah I've seen a lot of mixed info on them, but for example my acan has several new small heads shooting out (still growing thankfully), but out of the 3 original heads 1 was fully picked apart, one had half removed and the large one had a slice removed. I may have some bad egg pepermint shrimp!

OP
OP
officialreefbros

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught him red handed. Still not sure why he's picking at it all of a sudden. I've had this torch for months.

20221011_010334.jpg
The half of the torch is still opening fine which makes me think it was the shrimp that caused this. If it was the water or other conditions it didn't like it wouldn't have changed overnight and wouldn't be opening up still. Any one have tips of trying to help it? Or just cross my fingers and hope it recovers?

20221011_174603.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back